CBS revives Murphy Brown

Brock

Wow. Of all the possible TV revivals, this is not one I was expecting. Given that the show hasn't been that popular in syndication, and only the first season ever got a DVD release, there aren't many avenues for newer generations to discover it (unless it's on a streaming service. Is it?). 

But given its topicality and political influence back in the day, it could very well have new relevance in the current climate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 11:41 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Wow. Of all the possible TV revivals, this is not one I was expecting. Given that the show hasn't been that popular in syndication, and only the first season ever got a DVD release, there aren't many avenues for newer generations to discover it (unless it's on a streaming service. Is it?). 

But given its topicality and political influence back in the day, it could very well have new relevance in the current climate. 

Antenna TV has started showing it again along with several "new" additions to their latest schedule, along with Valerie Harper's "Valerie/Valerie's Family/Hogan Family". :peachonthebeach:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Apparently the show is going to be taping at Kaufman Astoria Studios, which I think is in Queens. I don't know what they were doing at CBS. Heck, maybe Diane English is working on another project.

Huh? then what was the showing of the "I Love Lucy" plaque all about? I assumed it was to show where they're shooting MB? Something is amiss here. :HALKING:

3 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Huh? then what was the showing of the "I Love Lucy" plaque all about? I assumed it was to show where they're shooting MB? Something is amiss here. :HALKING:

Perhaps there was some sort of production meeting? Maybe the original Murphy Brown was filmed there and they were going back for some sort of reference point? Maybe English was on a CBS Studios tour? Who knows!

Perhaps,  perhaps, perhaps....that's a song, isn't it?? Yes all possibilities and I dug a little and confirmed that MB will indeed be shot in New York as that' was apparently one of Candice's conditions.  I'm only disappointed because I was hoping to go to one of the tapings, which would have been much more viable had they returned to their former stage on the Warner Bros lot here in Burbank (where I believe the entire 10-year run was filmed). 

Oh well...still looking forward to it's return and hope it fares as well critically and ratings-ly as W&G and Roseanne. :peachonthebeach:

1 hour ago, JoeySoCal said:

Perhaps,  perhaps, perhaps....that's a song, isn't it?? Yes all possibilities and I dug a little and confirmed that MB will indeed be shot in New York as that' was apparently one of Candice's conditions.  I'm only disappointed because I was hoping to go to one of the tapings, which would have been much more viable had they returned to their former stage on the Warner Bros lot here in Burbank (where I believe the entire 10-year run was filmed). 

Oh well...still looking forward to it's return and hope it fares as well critically and ratings-ly as W&G and Roseanne. :peachonthebeach:

It’s lucky for me- the trip from Michigan to New York is a lot cheaper than if they were in LA. Not many multi-cam sitcoms tape in NYC- the most contemporary one I can think of is Cosby.

Reviving "Murphy Brown" and "Roseanne" is the equivalent of reviving I Love Lucy in 1981.   Wouldn't it have been great if they had made a reunion special while Viv was still alive?---giving Ethel a new much younger husband.    

I'm enjoying both Roseanne and Will & Grace.  Amazing how the quality of the writing has stayed up there.   John Goodman looks older but Roseanne and the girls look pretty much the same.  None of the W&G cast has aged a day.   Doubtful they'll revive this biggest sitcom hit of the 80s: "The Cosby Show" unless they mesh it together with "To Catch a Predator". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

It’s lucky for me- the trip from Michigan to New York is a lot cheaper than if they were in LA. Not many multi-cam sitcoms tape in NYC- the most contemporary one I can think of is Cosby.

Whoopi Goldberg's short-lived sitcom in the early 2000s was taped in New York, too. I remember a W&G episode where Rosario mentioned she was attending a taping. That scene must've been in a super sized episode, because it was cut on the DVD release. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil said:

Reviving "Murphy Brown" and "Roseanne" is the equivalent of reviving I Love Lucy in 1981.   Wouldn't it have been great if they had made a reunion special while Viv was still alive?---giving Ethel a new much younger husband.

"I Love Lucy" without all four of them would've been too sad, in my opinion.

Now "The Lucy Show - Return to Danfield" could've worked. Lucy Carmichael returns many years later, filled with tales of hob-knobbing in Hollywood, but will the Volunteer Fire Dept. welcome her back with open arms?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...