Why did L&D never appear onscreen together again?

I just stumbled across a clip of Sonny and Cher’s joint appearance on the Letterman show in the late 80s and it got me wondering - why did Lucy and Desi never do a joint television appearance after the divorce? They were good friends, they were both very supportive of each other’s careers, and Lucy used SO many of her friends and acquaintances as guest stars over the years. You’d think Lucy’s writers could have easily written him a little part on an “Here’s Lucy” episode or on one of her specials. Fans would have loved it, the ratings would undoubtedly been through the roof, and they probably would have enjoyed working together again. Seems like it would have been a win-win!

Any theories? 

I don't know why, but you pointed out all the reasons they should have. I know there was talk of a reunion show, I believe in the 80s but it was passed on as having the Mertzs dead seemed to sad.

They both appeared with the kids on shows and specials so I don't know why they couldn't have done some family thing. Even a talk show appearance would have been great.

• Like 1