First Glenn gets "Sunset" and now THIS

Neil

Now Patty Lupone knows how the Merm felt because.....

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP NOSES...THIS TIME FOR BABS!!!!!!

"Streisand_Interested_in_Starring_Not_Directing_GYPSY_Producers_on_Board"

Michael Riedel reported in the New York Post today that straight from the mouth of bookwriter Arthur Laurents is word that Barbra Streisand is "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of GYPSY" for which Laurents has given her approval.

Laurents, who directed Streisand in her first Broadway show, I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, and who wrote THE WAY WE WERE for her said that he's has long talks with her on the subject, and that "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."

The New York Times has gotten more information on the story, talking to both Arthur Laurents and to Stephen Sondheim who told them that Warner Brothers and Joel Silver are on board as producers, and that he'd (Laurents) suggested Tom Hanks for Herbie, an idea that he says Barbra Streisand loved.

Laurents also says that Streisand is no longer going to direct the film, as she once wanted to but instead will just play the part.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now Patty Lupone knows how the Merm felt because.....

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP NOSES...THIS TIME FOR BABS!!!!!!

"Streisand_Interested_in_Starring_Not_Directing_GYPSY_Producers_on_Board"

Michael Riedel reported in the New York Post today that straight from the mouth of bookwriter Arthur Laurents is word that Barbra Streisand is "deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of GYPSY" for which Laurents has given her approval.

Laurents, who directed Streisand in her first Broadway show, I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, and who wrote THE WAY WE WERE for her said that he's has long talks with her on the subject, and that "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."

The New York Times has gotten more information on the story, talking to both Arthur Laurents and to Stephen Sondheim who told them that Warner Brothers and Joel Silver are on board as producers, and that he'd (Laurents) suggested Tom Hanks for Herbie, an idea that he says Barbra Streisand loved.

Laurents also says that Streisand is no longer going to direct the film, as she once wanted to but instead will just play the part.

GREAT NEWS that we've mentionned elsewhere on this board, hope it happens, she'd be terrific in the role.

Why? She is the greatest female singer who ever lived, musicals are BIG right now and all the main elelments are coming together nicely, so . . .

My personal loathing of the woman aside, I just can't imagine her in the role at all. Maybe 20 years ago...

ETA: If she can sing, I nominate Dianne Wiest for the part as something completely different. She's not that much younger than Babs, but... if she can pull Helen Sinclair in Bullets Over Broadway out of nowhere, she can handle this.

My personal loathing of the woman aside, I just can't imagine her in the role at all. Maybe 20 years ago...

ETA: If she can sing, I nominate Dianne Wiest for the part as something completely different. She's not that much younger than Babs, but... if she can pull Helen Sinclair in Bullets Over Broadway out of nowhere, she can handle this.

What's this AGE thing about? Barbra's a great actress too, she can do anything and you DO realize we are talking about Gypsy's MOTHER here, right? She's not supposedt o look like Salley Field just getting her first period, we're talking a pushy stage mother and who else is as pushy as Babs in real life anyway? LOL! Besides, Babs played OLD in Hello Dolly when she was much too young, give her a chance to play old now that she actually IS old.

Only because she seems to be able to do ANYTHING: I nominate Meryl Streep for the role. I know Babs is a great singer, but except for her young days she's never done anything for me. Her acting: I've never believed one word that came out of her mouth. I can't watch her. Too bad Liza's not in the greatest of shape. 10 years ago she would have been great. BTW, Liza's 4 years younger than Babs. I always thought Judy would have been tremendous in the 1962 movie. She was still at her peak and still able to make movies. She did 3 around the same time (4 if you count "Gay Puree") and Rose is a role made for her. I was extremely disappointed in the Bette TV version. I was expecting greatness and what I saw was scenery chewing. When she got that crazed look on her face during "Everything's Coming Up Roses" it was the SAME expression as the burlesque clown when Lucy says "Martha". I'm not kidding!

Only because she seems to be able to do ANYTHING: I nominate Meryl Streep for the role. I know Babs is a great singer, but except for her young days she's never done anything for me. Her acting: I've never believed one word that came out of her mouth. I can't watch her. Too bad Liza's not in the greatest of shape. 10 years ago she would have been great. BTW, Liza's 4 years younger than Babs. I always thought Judy would have been tremendous in the 1962 movie. She was still at her peak and still able to make movies. She did 3 around the same time (4 if you count "Gay Puree") and Rose is a role made for her. I was extremely disappointed in the Bette TV version. I was expecting greatness and what I saw was scenery chewing. When she got that crazed look on her face during "Everything's Coming Up Roses" it was the SAME expression as the burlesque clown when Lucy says "Martha". I'm not kidding!

LOL! That was F U N N Y ! Ok, nobody loves Meryl more than me and she sure proved she could sing in the closing credits of Postcards from the edge, BUT, she's too classy, Mama Rose is a Bette Midler type, down to earth bawdy sassy full of WOW and energy and KAPOW is how she has to belt out those tunes, I totally agree that Judy would have been terrific, and Liza could hardly get the song out, she was so out of shape and out of breath when she did the main song on a show somewhere. And as much as i LOVE Barbra, i agree that she can be seen acting, posing, checking out the camera angles instead of just BEING the person she's playing, just saw the great film with Nick Nolte she did where she plays a shrink and i never believed a word she said, i know she's playing a shrink and had the sophistication and intellect down pat but she is not natural at all, wish i could remember the name of the film, i am so friggin old! But if she had a great director who would force her to act it out naturally and with her singing chops, well, EVERYTHING'S COMING UP BARBRA!!!!! I was one of those people apalled by seeing the great Bernadette Peters take on the role as she is too cute and cuddly, not the type needed, Patti Lupone was better and more suited.

What's this AGE thing about? Barbra's a great actress too, she can do anything and you DO realize we are talking about Gypsy's MOTHER here, right? She's not supposedt o look like Salley Field just getting her first period, we're talking a pushy stage mother and who else is as pushy as Babs in real life anyway? LOL! Besides, Babs played OLD in Hello Dolly when she was much too young, give her a chance to play old now that she actually IS old.

Her character has two kids under ten at the beginning of the film. Was she 62 when she had June? In real life, Rose was in her early 20s when she had kids. It would be nice if Barbra performed the songs in concert or recorded them, but this role never seemed right to me for her.

Her character has two kids under ten at the beginning of the film. Was she 62 when she had June? In real life, Rose was in her early 20s when she had kids. It would be nice if Barbra performed the songs in concert or recorded them, but this role never seemed right to me for her.

Why not? Lucy was 57 when she got pregnant by Fonda in Yours mine and whozzitz. I think you guys are just mad Betty White lost this role and are now taking it out on old lady Streisand. This getting out of the HOME and making a movie is just what the doctor ordered, she keeps telling James Brolin, I'm gonna play Merman's signature role James, Papa can you hear me? I'll plug it on Sullivan's show, Papa can you hear me? Do you think Jason, that queer duck, would play my love interest, i mean where else could he meet a nice Jewish GIRL? And settle down and forget this gay nonsense? Papa can you hear me,WATCH ME NOW???????????

If Babs really wants to do this, Sondheim and Laurents should get together and work on a Gypsy sequel where both June Havoc and Gypsy Rose Lee have made it big, while Rose is running a lesbian boarding house in NYC and shooting the guests.

Shooting them up with matzo ball soup in their veins? That's the thing Brockela, if Sondheim and Laurents are ok with this, why can't you and Harry be ok with it as well? LOL!

Shooting them up with matzo ball soup in their veins? That's the thing Brockela, if Sondheim and Laurents are ok with this, why can't you and Harry be ok with it as well? LOL!

41PYWJV9MYL._SX500_.jpg Thish film musht never take plashe! I predict nothing but tragedy and unhappinesh for all!

41PYWJV9MYL._SX500_.jpg Thish film musht never take plashe! I predict nothing but tragedy and unhappinesh for all!

I agree with Brock....and Camille....

Patty Lupone did "Sunset Boulevard" in London and was promised the Broadway role. I don't exactly what happened but some disagreement with AL Webber and Glenn got the Broadway show. There was a much publicized lawsuit which Patty won and thanks to ALW she was able to put in a new pool---which ALW was later found floating in?? Patty brought "Gypsy" back to Broadway a mere 5 years after Bernadette. Critics were divided over Bernadette but were as enthusiastic about Patty as they were about Lucy in "Wildcat. She considers "Gypsy" and her Tony win the capper of her career and would naturally think if a movie were to made, it would be with her. She faces the same problem as Merman...outside of Broadway her name isn't considered big enough despite 5 years of sneering through "Life Goes On". Neither Bernadette's or Patty's Gypsy was a financial success. Patty's was probably the victim of the economy....but I'm surprised she didn't tour with it, even if only Chicago, LA and SF.

I saw both Bernadette and Patti in the role and I actually preferred Bernadette. Although Bernadette's reviews were mixed (she was supposedly very sick when the show opened), it was reported she was even better in the role as time went on. I saw her late in the run and thought she was great. Bernadette is supposed to be the actress that is closest to the real Rose Hovick, although the musical was written for Merman, who LuPone is closer to.

Besides Merman, the actress I would have loved to have seen as Rose is Ann Sothern. She did it in stock around 1967 and received raves.

I saw both Bernadette and Patti in the role and I actually preferred Bernadette. Although Bernadette's reviews were mixed (she was supposedly very sick when the show opened), it was reported she was even better in the role as time went on. I saw her late in the run and thought she was great. Bernadette is supposed to be the actress that is closest to the real Rose Hovick, although the musical was written for Merman, who LuPone is closer to.

Besides Merman, the actress I would have loved to have seen as Rose is Ann Sothern. She did it in stock around 1967 and received raves.

Your posts are always so well informed and spot on. Go to Greg in Hollywood, he's showing clips of all the divas doing SOME PEOPLE. I could never see a cute young thing like Bernadette Peters whom i adore as Gypsy's mom but the clip he shows of her proves you are right in your assessment, she belts out the song and gets a great ovation, she is terrific. Liza, whose version i had seen where she was all out of breath and could barely get the song out, well, in the version here, Liza is just perfect. Bette Midler's version which i own and worship is great but comes off a tiny bit OFF compared to the Broadway Queens. Although Bette has the LOOK of Mama Rose as well as the bawdy chutzpah.

When Sunset Boulevard was coming to America they decided to open in L.A. first (and move to Broadway shortly thereafter) and wanted a great Hollywood name for Norma. One thing led to another, Patti gets pushed out and Glenn comes in. Rumor/myth has it that when Patti found out backstage at Sunset in London she grabbed a lamp and proceeded to use it as a baseball bat. She lated sued Lloyd Webber for $1 million and won (she now refuses to work on any Webber show and has happily flocked to the Sondheim camp). (Somewhat similarly, Faye Dunaway was set to close the L.A. production but Webber decided her singing voice wasn't up to the task, let her go and another lawsuit was filed.) Listen to both the World Premiere Recording (London production with Patti) and the American Premiere Recording (L.A. with Glenn) and decide for yourself who was better. I'll take Glenn any day over Patti's unbearable warbling. Patti might hit every musical note perfectly but she lacks the emotional power wallop Glenn delivers. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

As far as age- Streisand clocks in at 68 and LuPone at 61.

Personally, I don't want to see Patti ever (when I saw the Sweeney Todd revival in the summer of 2006 I was RELIEVED Patti was out and I got to see the fabulous Judy Kaye as Mrs. Lovett) so I'm glad she won't be doing this movie. I can't say too much about Streisand as I'm not very familiar with her work. But Patti's true legacy in connection with Gypsy can now and forever reside here: (http://tinyurl.com/PattiGoesBatshit). What's really embarrassing for her is that the guy was a press photographer and was ALLOWED to take pictures, she had to apologize to him after the show. If I had been at that performance I would have walked out and demanded a refund. She might have felt it was disruptive to be taking pictures but I think its 1000x more disruptive for her to stop the show (especially at the climax) to throw a bitch fit.

But Patti's true legacy in connection with Gypsy can now and forever reside here: (http://tinyurl.com/PattiGoesBatshit). What's really embarrassing for her is that the guy was a press photographer and was ALLOWED to take pictures, she had to apologize to him after the show. If I had been at that performance I would have walked out and demanded a refund. She might have felt it was disruptive to be taking pictures but I think its 1000x more disruptive for her to stop the show (especially at the climax) to throw a bitch fit.

It did lead to this, though:

:marionstrong:

When Sunset Boulevard was coming to America they decided to open in L.A. first (and move to Broadway shortly thereafter) and wanted a great Hollywood name for Norma. One thing led to another, Patti gets pushed out and Glenn comes in. Rumor/myth has it that when Patti found out backstage at Sunset in London she grabbed a lamp and proceeded to use it as a baseball bat. She lated sued Lloyd Webber for $1 million and won (she now refuses to work on any Webber show and has happily flocked to the Sondheim camp). (Somewhat similarly, Faye Dunaway was set to close the L.A. production but Webber decided her singing voice wasn't up to the task, let her go and another lawsuit was filed.) Listen to both the World Premiere Recording (London production with Patti) and the American Premiere Recording (L.A. with Glenn) and decide for yourself who was better. I'll take Glenn any day over Patti's unbearable warbling. Patti might hit every musical note perfectly but she lacks the emotional power wallop Glenn delivers. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

As far as age- Streisand clocks in at 68 and LuPone at 61.

Personally, I don't want to see Patti ever (when I saw the Sweeney Todd revival in the summer of 2006 I was RELIEVED Patti was out and I got to see the fabulous Judy Kaye as Mrs. Lovett) so I'm glad she won't be doing this movie. I can't say too much about Streisand as I'm not very familiar with her work. But Patti's true legacy in connection with Gypsy can now and forever reside here: (http://tinyurl.com/PattiGoesBatshit). What's really embarrassing for her is that the guy was a press photographer and was ALLOWED to take pictures, she had to apologize to him after the show. If I had been at that performance I would have walked out and demanded a refund. She might have felt it was disruptive to be taking pictures but I think its 1000x more disruptive for her to stop the show (especially at the climax) to throw a bitch fit.

Not familar with Streisand's work????? Oh these kids and their funny remarks, LOL! That clip was hilarious, what a friggin D I V A ! She should do a movie with Christian Bale!

Archived