Sign in to follow this  
Mot Morenzi

Specific "Lucy" Memories

Mot Morenzi    1,342

Here, I thought we could share particular memories of experiencing Lucy's shows, films, appearances, or anything remotely connected to her. Any memories related to how we've experienced her work and/or history in some fashion.

I'll never forget the first time I saw "The Black Wig." It was on my mother's little 10" screen in her bedroom back when we lived in Stafford. The sight gag of Ethel coming out of the bedroom all dolled up really stuck with me. That was the first and only time I saw that episode until the season three DVD release. I think I skipped to that episode first just to relive it.

I also have a random memory of seeing "Fan Magazine Interview" on TNT or something around the same time. For some odd reason, I got it into my head as a kid that whenever Lucy had her hair down, it meant she was single. I distinctly remember saying "Oh, she's Lucy McGillicuddy in this episode!" She was only married to Ricky when her hair was up in a bun. My mother had to very patiently explain that, no, hairstyles didn't indicate marital status.

Before I started acquiring the various Lucy videotapes from CBS/FOX, the only source I had to watch the show whenever I wished was an extended play tape my mother had used to record a marathon of the Hollywood episodes. TNT broadcast it around 1990 or so. I remember coming downstairs one night all depressed, saying I wanted to watch "I Love Lucy" but it wasn't on anywhere at the time. Mom unearthed the tape and I was so thrilled. She didn't get all of them but she captured a fair few. The tape began at "Lucy Learns to Drive" and ended with "Ricky Needs an Agent." I think she accidentally stopped recording at one point because "Don Juan is Shelved" was missing, although a few seconds of it were still present. It cut off right after mother's line, "you mean he didn't even tell you..." then boom, the heart on satin appeared for the next episode. It wasn't until DVD that I finally got to see that episode and learn the end of the line!

What I remember the most now about that particular marathon was how severely edited the episodes were. Far more so than some syndication packages, as I recall. After I started getting official releases and began seeing the full-length versions, I realized how much I'd missed out on all these years. I also remember the commercials, as she just let the tape run its course without pausing. There was one Clorox bleach jingle I'll never get out of my head.

Freddie2    744

When I was in Jamestown a few years ago, we drove to see Lucy’s childhood home in Celeron. As we approached the street sign, I immediately had a legitimate flashback to a shot from the 50th Anniversary Special that I hadn’t seen in probably over a decade. It was really bizarre, but as soon as I saw that street sign the whole special came flooding back to me.

• Like 1

Mot Morenzi    1,342
11 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

When I was in Jamestown a few years ago, we drove to see Lucy’s childhood home in Celeron. As we approached the street sign, I immediately had a legitimate flashback to a shot from the 50th Anniversary Special that I hadn’t seen in probably over a decade. It was really bizarre, but as soon as I saw that street sign the whole special came flooding back to me.

Isn't it great when you have experiences that recall memories like that? I've never been to Jamestown myself, but I definitely plan on making it there someday.

• Like 1

UKlucyfan    86

My earliest memory is from equal rights. With them looking through the windows and doing the dishes. I couldnt remember specifics.

First movie I saw was Lured but 8 had really bad reception and spent years trying to see if again. I know have it on DVD of course but still remember watching it for the first time

First time I saw lucy in london I lived that too. With encouragement from the guys on here I went on to run a website about it but couldnt do it anymore after geocites closed

Never been to Jamestown but did go the the 50th anniversary convention in Burbank which was AMAZING! Still treasure the memories and souvenirs I got from there.

rickylu    32

Some of my fondest Lucy memories are when my gram would babysit me at her house. Nick at Nite would almost always be on. The Lucy Show must have been on past my bedtime because I mostly remember watching it at her house. Two episodes I vividly remember watching are "Lucy Meets a Millionaire " and "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (with gram gushing about Newton the whole time).

• Like 1

UKlucyfan    86

For the longest time I old had the first 5.mins of millionaire. Same with here's lunch and the astronaught  episode lol.

JessiLu    15

I remember my mom putting on “I Love Lucy” each morning when I was young. Just after I turned 5, Lucy passed away, and I remember it being my first real experience of someone I “knew” who died.  Really, it was Lucy who taught me about death.  That day my mother bought two angel fish for our fish tank, and we named them Lucy and Ricky.

But it wasn’t until 2001, when I watched the 50th anniversary special, that I became fascinated by Lucy and Desi’s story and became a true fan.

• Like 1