New ‘Closer’ cover featuring L&D

JessiLu

Apparently there is a new Closer cover story featuring Lucy and Desi, and quoting Lucie:

https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/lucille-ball-desi-arnaz-divorce-163949

People magazine also picked up the story with a click-bait headline:

https://people.com/tv/lucille-ball-desi-arnaz-divorce-horrible-says-daughter/

Seems like the articles are citing a bunch of old quotes. Probably not too much new info here.

From Lucie:

Pass the word- I never gave any such interview “after sixty years” nor said that my folks had a “horrible divorce”. Sure, the marriage was painful at times -for all involved, but, their divorce was incredibly amicable and inspiring. They always loved each other. Till the day they both died.
The Closer is a rag sheet that I have never wanted to give another interview to after the first article I was misquoted in years ago. Now you know why. But, I am surprised at People.com. One expects better from them.

Anyway, sorry it is only online so we can’t wrap fish in it tomorrow.
Love that they, at least, spelled my name correctly!😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Why are they even running these stories now? What is it relevant to?

I get the impression that Closer's audience skews older (i.e. retired folks). That's why they feature a lot of older stars (like Betty White) and people from the "golden age" of Hollywood on the cover. 

Also, they wouldn't feature Lucy on their cover if it wasn't selling magazines. Seems like they do it quite a bit, so those cover stories are obviously performing well ($$$) for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

From Lucie:

Pass the word- I never gave any such interview “after sixty years” nor said that my folks had a “horrible divorce”. Sure, the marriage was painful at times -for all involved, but, their divorce was incredibly amicable and inspiring. They always loved each other. Till the day they both died.
The Closer is a rag sheet that I have never wanted to give another interview to after the first article I was misquoted in years ago. Now you know why. But, I am surprised at People.com. One expects better from them.

Anyway, sorry it is only online so we can’t wrap fish in it tomorrow.
Love that they, at least, spelled my name correctly!😊

Thanks so much for passing this along! If I were Lucie, I'd go to People to set the record straight! People magazine is usually pretty trustworthy, and if they are looking to Closer for story ideas, they should be aware that it is a rag that gets the story wrong. (Also, what a great opportunity to drum up interest/support for the Lucy/Desi biopic and/or the new book audible recordings .... just sayin'!) 

Regarding the article not being in print, if you scroll down all the way to the bottom of the Closer online article, you'll see that Lucy and Desi are on the cover of the print edition. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

I get the impression that Closer's audience skews older (i.e. retired folks). That's why they feature a lot of older stars (like Betty White) and people from the "golden age" of Hollywood on the cover. 

Also, they wouldn't feature Lucy on their cover if it wasn't selling magazines. Seems like they do it quite a bit, so those cover stories are obviously performing well ($$$) for them. 

That makes sense. Well, it's heartening in one way to know that Lucy's image is still enough to sell a magazine, but it's a pity they have to choose such a tabloidy angle. Why not do a career-timeline feature, focusing not just on I Love Lucy but some of her lesser-known works, bring them to the general public's attention? I know negativity sells, but I imagine people would like a little positivity these days as well.

• Like 1

Closer use to do much more classy articles on Lucy. I wonder why they are falling in to the trash publication end now. I saw the exact same headline and picture on one of the true gossip mags last month that Closer used for a cover last year. Yeah, don't think I'll be getting any more of these. I really only have picked up a few, the one with the Gary love letters was the last as I knew people who contributed their letters. I mostly just grab one in the store, read it and put it back on the shelf, as the info is rarely new. 

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

"Secrets and Scandals", huh? Let me take a wild guess: Bill and Viv didn't get along, Lucy forced Viv to be overweight and wear ugly clothes, CBS didn't want Desi, didn't want the pregnancy story, Lucy wasn't a natural redhead...am I in the ballpark?

Well one of the other tabloids is out now with Lucy and VIv's "secret friendship".  So throw that one in too. 

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I recently had someone send me a bunch of tabloid mags from before and after Lucy died. Being that they were tabloid mags I have trouble wanting to believe anything in them. But in reality they really are not all that scummy and the stuff makes logical sense. Especially when  I compare to that Autopsy show.  There's a lot of timeline stuff in them.

In that batch was also some clippings from the LA Times and legit news sources. The LA Times one really broke down medically what happened to put Lucy in the hospital and then what happened on April 26th. It had a little diagram of the heart and quotes from the hospital staff. They apparently had a press conference after she died and went through exactly what happened. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I agree, it got really trashy for awhile and they recycled a headline and picture for one cover.

Earlier in this thread, Lucie is quoted as calling Closer a rag sheet. I guess she feels better about it, since she gave them an interview.

• 2 months later...