Lucy: The Ultimate Collection (76 episodes of ALL Lucy's shows on DVD!)

HarryCarter

On 9/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, HarryCarter said:

CBS has all the Spelling shows, so they should have the rights to Life with Lucy. Lucy is a Sax Symbol is my least favorite episode of the run!

Guess you haven't seen "Guard Goose" then? Gawd that was the worst, on so many levels! And it didn't help that Lucy was sick that week and looked (and was dressed) like shit! :HALKING:

As someone else (Brian I think?) referenced in another post, while "nice" they have a disc just of the colorized episodes, it would have made more sense to me to leave out the B&W versions all so readily available not to mention previously released in various forms and release ALL the episodes colorized to date, including "Scotland" (despite it being my least favorite), if for no other reason but to have them all readily availalble on one disc. (Does anyone else think that ultimately, they'll ALL be colorized and released, yet again, on home video or streaming or some form?)

But honestly, rather than the colorized eps included, I would MUCH rather have seen a full release (even though it would have taken 2 discs) of LWL, and not that I'm ungrateful that we're getting them, but it would have been nice, again, to have all of them readily available.

Perhaps if this release is successful enough, they'll consider finally releasing the series in its entirety.  I won't hold my breath but it sure would be nice! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 2

Time/Life has done smaller releases that coincide with these "mega" sets that they put out; Laugh-In has been getting individual season sets since they put out the complete series, and I know they've done one or two single disc collections of their Red Skelton release, so... maybe LWL is closer than we think.

Re: Joey

When I think about it, even if all of ILL was colorized, I'm certain I'd still watch the show in "glorious black and white" (but still have the colorized episodes for the occasional novelty).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

As someone else (Brian I think?) referenced in another post, while "nice" they have a disc just of the colorized episodes, it would have made more sense to me to leave out the B&W versions all so readily available not to mention previously released in various forms and release ALL the episodes colorized to date, including "Scotland" (despite it being my least favorite), if for no other reason but to have them all readily availalble on one disc. (Does anyone else think that ultimately, they'll ALL be colorized and released, yet again, on home video or streaming or some form?)

But honestly, rather than the colorized eps included, I would MUCH rather have seen a full release (even though it would have taken 2 discs) of LWL, and not that I'm ungrateful that we're getting them, but it would have been nice, again, to have all of them readily available.

Perhaps if this release is successful enough, they'll consider finally releasing the series in its entirety.  I won't hold my breath but it sure would be nice! :peachonthebeach:

Precisely. That would've provided more of an incentive for some people to purchase this, having all currently colorized episodes available. As it is, the colorized releases have been very piecemeal. I'm sure there will be a more comprehensive release one of these days, maybe after they've done a few more. I recall Tom mentioning that there is at least one more on the way this Christmas.

But the big draw for me is LWL. I truly hope TimeLife puts them all out. I mean, it's only 13 episodes, so it should definitely be doable...unless there are legal snags with a few of them? But they're pretty good at getting material released that previously had legal entanglements, so I'm sure they could figure out the details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Precisely. That would've provided more of an incentive for some people to purchase this, having all currently colorized episodes available. As it is, the colorized releases have been very piecemeal. I'm sure there will be a more comprehensive release one of these days, maybe after they've done a few more. I recall Tom mentioning that there is at least one more on the way this Christmas.

But the big draw for me is LWL. I truly hope TimeLife puts them all out. I mean, it's only 13 episodes, so it should definitely be doable...unless there are legal snags with a few of them? But they're pretty good at getting material released that previously had legal entanglements, so I'm sure they could figure out the details.

Yes, such like-minded thinking! Likely won't happen, but I was hoping if not a standalone LWL release, thought it might be nice if  a few eps (say, 3) popped up as part of the bonus material on each of the successive "I Love Lucy" blu-rays, had they had the chance to continue the series with seasons 3 - 6 and one for the hour-longs. Oh well...I can dream can't I?  :lucyeww:

Lucky to get the two we got I guess. :peachonthebeach:

Has anyone been able to figure out if/when/where Time Life will begin airing the obligatory 30 minute infomercial for the Ultimate Collection set?

It should be fun to watch plus it'd be nice to see more of Life With Lucy before buying to get a better idea of the picture quality. The quick flashes of it in the online commercial look rough.

• 4 weeks later...

I have and it's nice to have a "legitimate" release of the LWL episodes! My only real complaint about the set is that they crammed 8 episodes on most of the other discs but for some reason, only put FOUR episodes on its single disc, when there was easily room for four more! If they had nicely done that, they could have then given us all the aired episodes and in broadcast order.

Other than that and an observation that the disc menus are a bit on the "simple"/cheezy side, this is overall, a pretty stellar release....just don't get me started on some of the odd choices of episodes (since this is essentially a "best of" situation) for each series.... yet one more time I head scratchingly ask, how do I get THAT job of the guy that gets to pick the episodes to be included (or not)?? Headscratcher indeed! :HALKING:

• 2 months later...