2018 Christmas Colorized Episode

Luvsbway

December 14th at 8pm on CBS we are getting Pioneer Women as the new colorized episode along with the traditional Christmas one. I haven't found a teaser color photo yet for this episode. I think this is a good choice. The period costumes will look nice colorized and there is that one classic scene of the bread. 

But I still hold out hope that we will get that Connecticut house in color some day. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2018 at 5:34 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Interesting choice. 

I hope they do "The Audition" at some stage; it'd be nice to see the Tropicana showcased, plus there's color reference footage. 

If that's the "Sally Sweet" number episode, I agree ...but also am more than ready to see the Connecticut house in full fake color splendor! :HALKING:

• 2 weeks later...

The sight-gag of the bread is a classic and one everyone remembers, but I'm not wild about the episode as a whole----though it's been a long time since I've seen it.  Listening to Tom on Stu's show, evidently this colorization is quite expensive (though he didn't give out numbers) so doing an episode where you already have the colors of the set is less expensive----but they did the Scotland show, which I don't think ever aired.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

The sight-gag of the bread is a classic and one everyone remembers, but I'm not wild about the episode as a whole----though it's been a long time since I've seen it.  Listening to Tom on Stu's show, evidently this colorization is quite expensive (though he didn't give out numbers) so doing an episode where you already have the colors of the set is less expensive----but they did the Scotland show, which I don't think ever aired.

The show has a few more moments of visual humor, with Ricky in the bathtub, on a horse, and I'm sure there are other things I can't remember. I also enjoy the ending, where the gang sticks it to the uppity Society Matron's League and enjoys their bread together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the first half of the special (Christmas Episode) I left the TV on but wandered off and took a shower. I only see that episode once a year but I'm finding it a bit grating. IMO the colors seemed a bit "less" than the past couple of years. Give us the Connecticut House already! Being a first season episode, Pioneer Women has a different tone from the rest of the series, and its logical fallacies are hard to overlook, but the fact that it still makes me laugh out loud is certainly something. It's weird to think about how the gang had such trouble living as pioneers, when today we'd all have trouble living like it was 1952! 

I had a prior engagement and was only able to see the first half of the first DVD episode, but it was hilarious- certainly in part because I don't have it ingrained in my memory like a lot of ILL episodes. I also think that the Van Dyke episodes look much better in color than ILL. Perhaps it's because DVD didn't have a cinematographer who knew how to service black and white film like on ILL? 

• Like 1

Lucy's 1900 hairdo reminded me of a shot of her in Mame during "Loving You".

That first season took a lot of logic liberties and "Pioneer Women" is no exception, but I did enjoy it.  Again I marvel how Lucille Ball handles even the most outlandish stuff believably: walking backwards in fright as the bread emerges from the oven trapping her. 

• Like 1

Who says the "Swedish" line?

I wonder if that was in reference to "I Remember Mama" which was set in the early 1900s, I think. 

Is this just the 2nd year for Dick Van Dyke color episodes?  If so,  I don't agree with  3/4 of their choices so far.  "Alan Brady is Bald" was a natural, considered to be one of the best.  I prefer the episodes that involve more work than home.....and others that display Van Dyke's amazing physical dexterity.   I don't know episode titles but there was one that had Rob hypnotized and went from sober to drunk at the sound of a bell;  the flashback to his initial interview for the Alan Brady job..after he had not slept in several days doing a radio stunt...so many:  my personal favorite is "You're No Henry Walden" from the 1st season, very well-written with a great spot by Doris Packer.   I think "Never Bathe on Saturday (Sunday?)" probably had censor problems because of the imagined visual of Laura naked in the tub and maybe that's why they (Carl Reiner?) picked it.  It's certainly good, but not their best.  Amazing that Mary was only 24 when the show started.  

CBS must have given up on "Andy Griffith".  Their Christmas episode, from that first uneven season (before the series really found itself), is not good and while "AG" fans say their favorite episode is The Pickle Story, it's not mine by a long shot.  Nor am I in agreement with MTM fans who always cite "Chuckles Bites the Dust" as the very best.  I don't even like it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Neil said:

Who says the "Swedish" line?

I wonder if that was in reference to "I Remember Mama" which was set in the early 1900s, I think. 

Is this just the 2nd year for Dick Van Dyke color episodes?  If so,  I don't agree with  3/4 of their choices so far.  "Alan Brady is Bald" was a natural, considered to be one of the best.  I prefer the episodes that involve more work than home.....and others that display Van Dyke's amazing physical dexterity.   I don't know episode titles but there was one that had Rob hypnotized and went from sober to drunk at the sound of a bell;  the flashback to his initial interview for the Alan Brady job..after he had not slept in several days doing a radio stunt...so many:  my personal favorite is "You're No Henry Walden" from the 1st season, very well-written with a great spot by Doris Packer.   I think "Never Bathe on Saturday (Sunday?)" probably had censor problems because of the imagined visual of Laura naked in the tub and maybe that's why they (Carl Reiner?) picked it.  It's certainly good, but not their best.  Amazing that Mary was only 24 when the show started.  

CBS must have given up on "Andy Griffith".  Their Christmas episode, from that first uneven season (before the series really found itself), is not good and while "AG" fans say their favorite episode is The Pickle Story, it's not mine by a long shot.  Nor am I in agreement with MTM fans who always cite "Chuckles Bites the Dust" as the very best.  I don't even like it.

What was the "Swedish" line? 

Also- very curious to hear your reasoning for not liking Chuckles! 

One small moment from the episode that really made me laugh this time around was when Lucy and Ethel check on the dough for the first time. Lucy looks down and says "help me", but the way she said it was so genuine (in that "Lucy" way) that it completely sold the absurdity of what was going on. The situation may be ridiculous, but the people are real. 

Also, shoutout to the great Florence Bates who is the very definition of a "Society Matron". 

On 12/15/2018 at 0:02 AM, Freddie2 said:

For the first half of the special (Christmas Episode) I left the TV on but wandered off and took a shower. I only see that episode once a year but I'm finding it a bit grating. IMO the colors seemed a bit "less" than the past couple of years. Give us the Connecticut House already! Being a first season episode, Pioneer Women has a different tone from the rest of the series, and its logical fallacies are hard to overlook, but the fact that it still makes me laugh out loud is certainly something. It's weird to think about how the gang had such trouble living as pioneers, when today we'd all have trouble living like it was 1952! 

I had a prior engagement and was only able to see the first half of the first DVD episode, but it was hilarious- certainly in part because I don't have it ingrained in my memory like a lot of ILL episodes. I also think that the Van Dyke episodes look much better in color than ILL. Perhaps it's because DVD didn't have a cinematographer who knew how to service black and white film like on ILL? 

You hit the nail on the head regarding Pioneer Women, except it does not make me laugh out loud.  That episode, like most S1 episodes, just leaves me cold.  The most memorable scene is, ironically, the one that ruins the episode for me, and that's when that six-foot loaf of bread instantly pops out of a two-foot deep oven perfectly shaped and fully baked.  The suspension of disbelief is too much for me, as is the case with many of the first season episodes.  (And never mind the technical flaw in that you can see within the space between the wall and back of the oven that the loaf is being shoved from behind the wall through the oven.) 

There's really not much from the first season that I enjoy.  While I think the Vitameatavegamin scene in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" is brilliant (although the name "Vitameatavegamin" is a linguistically inappropriate spelling; a personal pet peeve), the earlier scene with Lucy completely wrecking a television set just to make a point that she should be on TV, and then Ricky intentionally trying to electrocute her, spoils the episode as a whole.  Very little in the first season is relatable or believable to me.  But the rest of the series, starting with S2, is a masterpiece.  If one of the purposes of these colorized episodes is to appeal to a younger generation, episodes from S1 are not going to serve that goal.

I, too, would love to see a Connecticut episode colorized.  I guess "Lucy Does the Tango," or maybe "Lucy's Night in Town" or "Lucy Wants to Move to the Country" would be best for that purpose (there are few great ones in that batch), but really "The Celebrity Next Door" or "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" would be most ideal in terms of delivering the biggest and best laughs.