2018 Christmas Colorized Episode

Luvsbway

On 12/15/2018 at 0:18 PM, Neil said:

Is this just the 2nd year for Dick Van Dyke color episodes? . . . . I prefer the episodes that involve more work than home.....

OMG, I MUCH prefer the domestic episodes.  That office banter between Buddy, Sally and Mel really gets on my nerves and I never found any of it funny.  But I have always loved the interactions between Rob and Laura.  Van Dyke and Moore had incredible chemistry.

I don't know episode titles but there was one that had Rob hypnotized and went from sober to drunk at the sound of a bell;  

But THAT episode is great!

CBS must have given up on "Andy Griffith".  Their Christmas episode, from that first uneven season (before the series really found itself), is not good and while "AG" fans say their favorite episode is The Pickle Story, it's not mine by a long shot.  Nor am I in agreement with MTM fans who always cite "Chuckles Bites the Dust" as the very best.  I don't even like it.

I actually like that TAGS Christmas episode.  I find it very heartwarming, which makes it perfect for the season.  It brought a tear to my eye.

I LOOOOVE "Chuckles Bites the Dust"!  It was groundbreaking in its ability to treat death with humor, and MTM was spectacular.  There were great moments in that episode for the entire cast.  But TMTMS has many, many great episodes.

The show was really nice to see again in Prime Time :D 

I noticed how there was a lot less cut through the Christmas episode, and "Pioneer" was done pretty nicely too! 

It always seems as if they would like to make "Lucy" the quintessential 50s image- with these light greens/ hot pinks and ultra colors, kinda like how the 1950s were revisioned in the 80s-90s  in this highlighter- pastel colored haze- when in actuality- a lot of the colors of the time were usually earth tones or very toned grays and greens. For instance- the Ricardo kitchen  is colored a light turquoise, but in actuality was a warm orange- yellow and cream trim, but the technology isn't capable to conquer that just yet I suppose-  but Over all it was pretty awesome and was very nice to see 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, LittleRickyII said:

You hit the nail on the head regarding Pioneer Women, except it does not make me laugh out loud.  That episode, like most S1 episodes, just leaves me cold.  The most memorable scene is, ironically, the one that ruins the episode for me, and that's when that six-foot loaf of bread instantly pops out of a two-foot deep oven perfectly shaped and fully baked.  The suspension of disbelief is too much for me, as is the case with many of the first season episodes.  (And never mind the technical flaw in that you can see within the space between the wall and back of the oven that the loaf is being shoved from behind the wall through the oven.) 

There's really not much from the first season that I enjoy.  While I think the Vitameatavegamin scene in "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" is brilliant (although the name "Vitameatavegamin" is a linguistically inappropriate spelling; a personal pet peeve), the earlier scene with Lucy completely wrecking a television set just to make a point that she should be on TV, and then Ricky intentionally trying to electrocute her, spoils the episode as a whole.  Very little in the first season is relatable or believable to me.  But the rest of the series, starting with S2, is a masterpiece.  If one of the purposes of these colorized episodes is to appeal to a younger generation, episodes from S1 are not going to serve that goal.

I, too, would love to see a Connecticut episode colorized.  I guess "Lucy Does the Tango," or maybe "Lucy's Night in Town" or "Lucy Wants to Move to the Country" would be best for that purpose (there are few great ones in that batch), but really "The Celebrity Next Door" or "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" would be most ideal in terms of delivering the biggest and best laughs.

Here's my colorized version of the Connecticut house.

40664580_1281230872229537_966141507276898304_n copy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, Freddie2 said:

What was the "Swedish" line? 

Also- very curious to hear your reasoning for not liking Chuckles! 

The "Swedish" line is referenced above in this thread.  I don't know who says it either. And when.

SPOILER:  I've got 2 friends who are more "fair-weather" Lucy fans but they point little things....VERY LITTLE things that bug them...and it spoils it for me when I re-watch a particular episode.  Not that I agree with their assessment but when one of their "bugged" moments happens, I always think about it.  (Example: they HATE the way Lucy says "My ring! My ring!" with her mouthful in the Barbecue episode).   That said, I don't want to ruin "Chuckles" for people who love it.  So read on only if you want.

MTM was my favorite 70s sitcom.  I LOVE Mary Tyler Moore, the actress, the show and the actors and characters in the show, with the exception of Murray.  I don't believe him the way I do the others.  In "Chuckles" he spouts one-liner jokes right and left about Chuckles's death---none of which I think are particularly funny.  In the funeral scene, MaryTMoore is game, trying to convey having to stifle laughter but this sort of thing is best left to LUCY.  It's one of the few things the writers didn't have Lucy do (that I can recall) and I'm sure she would have carried it off brilliantly.   Like the "Andy Griffith" fans love of "The Pickle Story", I don't see why "Chuckles" is considered the best.  But that's just IMO!   Re: "Pickle".  They COULD have just taken Aunt Bee's kerosene pickle jars and dumped them in the woods.  No reason to give them away.   And it's so out of character for hearty cook Aunt Bee to make a bad batch of anything.  "Pickle" is from the first couple of seasons and (again IMO) "TAGS" didn't hit its stride until the 3rd season.  

4 hours ago, nertz2mertz said:

Here's my colorized version of the Connecticut house.

40664580_1281230872229537_966141507276898304_n copy.jpg

LOVE your colorization but pick a different episode if you're going to do more!  I wish they had ended with "Tulips" instead.  Little did they know that 50 years into the future MeTV would have a marathon of "last episodes of classic series".   Of Lucy's 3 main series, the best last episode IMO is Here's Lucy's "Fights the System".  My favorite Connecticut episode is "Housewarming" followed by "Moves to Country" and "Buys New Furniture".  If they do a Connecticut episode it will probably be "Tango".   Her Eggs-in-Blouse schtick is great but the episode as a whole is not my favorite. 

10 hours ago, Neil said:

LOVE your colorization but pick a different episode if you're going to do more!  I wish they had ended with "Tulips" instead.  Little did they know that 50 years into the future MeTV would have a marathon of "last episodes of classic series".   Of Lucy's 3 main series, the best last episode IMO is Here's Lucy's "Fights the System".  My favorite Connecticut episode is "Housewarming" followed by "Moves to Country" and "Buys New Furniture".  If they do a Connecticut episode it will probably be "Tango".   Her Eggs-in-Blouse schtick is great but the episode as a whole is not my favorite. 

Tulips would've been a far better broadcast finale than Statue. That final scene where Lucy discovers Ricky's blunder and orders him to start 'splainin'. It's a hilarious turn-the-tables moment that made a nice compliment to all the times Ricky confronted Lucy over one of her goofs.