Sign in to follow this  
Luvsbway

Stu's Show Nov 7th Loving Lucy

Luvsbway    1,940

LUCYMANIA! Join former Lucille Ball Productions Publicity Director TOM WATSON and actor JIMMY GARRETT on the LIVE show tomorrow (Wednesday 11/7) starting at 4 pm PT/7 pm ET as we take a fond look back at the conventions that celebrated Lucille Ball's life and career that we organized back in the 1990s. There will be tons of clips showcasing Lucy's professional family both on and off screen including Mary Jane Croft, Dick Martin, Shirley Mitchell, Janet Waldo, Ralph Hart, Candy Moore, Bob Carroll, Jr., Madelyn Davis, William Asher, and many more! You can watch us live right here on Facebook, on the stusshow.com web site, or on the Stu's Show Roku TV channel. Don't miss this one!

I'm really looking forward to this one. I made it to 97' and 99' and they are some of my best Lucy fan experiences. 

• Like 2

JessiLu    30

Thanks for the heads up about this! It was really great to see clips from the conventions. I hope Stu does some additional shows featuring more convention clips, which it sounds like he will if he gets enough positive feedback. (Although they could have done without all the convo on the Lucy box sets -- a 4+ hour show ending at 11:15 pm was long for an east coaster like me!)

I had one question, though: they made much of why they don't do Lucy conventions anymore. Don't they have formal gatherings up in Jamestown every year? Are those not Lucy conventions? 

• Like 1

Luvsbway    1,940

Loving Lucy ran for 5 years and was put on by the Lucy Fan Club. When the JT festival really got Lucy focused around this time the conventions wrapped up in LA with much focus being put into the 2 JT Lucy festivals. These were first done with the Arts Council and after 96' ish, the museum that opened that year.

Holy crap, 4 hours. I had a long tap class last night so I'm happy paying the $2 for unlimited viewing from the archives. This sounds like I may break it up into a few watches.

JessiLu    30

Thanks for the background! Yes, that was my first time watching the show live. The recordings that I’ve downloaded have always been two hours, so I was surprised that this was four. Made me wonder if perhaps Stu edits the recording down if the show runs over.

Luvsbway    1,940
29 minutes ago, JessiLu said:

Thanks for the background! Yes, that was my first time watching the show live. The recordings that I’ve downloaded have always been two hours, so I was surprised that this was four. Made me wonder if perhaps Stu edits the recording down if the show runs over.

I haven't done a video one yet so this will be new to me. I know ones like Bernie W. were 2 parts 

JessiLu    30
Just now, Luvsbway said:

I haven't done a video one yet so this will be new to me. I know ones like Bernie W. were 2 parts 

Yeah, I had no idea that he did video until yesterday.

Luvsbway    1,940
13 hours ago, JessiLu said:

Yeah, I had no idea that he did video until yesterday.

Apparently if you have Roku you can watch them all. I'll be hold up with my husband's chrome book all weekend watching this. 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    964

I downloaded this and I planned to watch the first few minutes today, but ended up watching the whole four hours in one sitting. There are so many great stories and priceless clips. I especially loved the story about Mary Jane going on stage at the convention for the first time. Also the Ralph Hart clips and the My Favorite Husband recreation. The biggest shock was the photos showing Dick Van Dyke doing the audience warm up for the first episode of The Lucy Show! 

I hope Stu and Tom do another episode or two about the conventions. 

Luvsbway    1,940
1 hour ago, HarryCarter said:

I downloaded this and I planned to watch the first few minutes today, but ended up watching the whole four hours in one sitting. There are so many great stories and priceless clips. I especially loved the story about Mary Jane going on stage at the convention for the first time. Also the Ralph Hart clips and the My Favorite Husband recreation. The biggest shock was the photos showing Dick Van Dyke doing the audience warm up for the first episode of The Lucy Show! 

I hope Stu and Tom do another episode or two about the conventions. 

I got through all 4 hours last night. I missed the MFH year so was happy to see that.

I was at 97' and saw Ralph give his speech. Luckily I video taped it, along with a lot of other stuff. I ran in to him and his family in the elevator the next day. Lovely people and I told him how much I enjoyed his speech.

Those panels were amazing and so fact filled. I had never read or heard anything from Keith Andes before, so that was nice to hear a Wildcat memory. 

They mentioned those autograph lines, and I waited in them all. They actually had photos there if you didn't have one, you could bring your own, or maybe get lucky in the vendor area and find something cool to get signed. 

I think they'll do this again. I'm curious to see what they have to say about Steve Allen and his infamous, "she's dead, get over it" comment to the audience right before Lucie (as a surprise guest) came out. And I want to know what feathers of Maury's were ruffled in the later panels.

HarryCarter    964
1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

I think they'll do this again. I'm curious to see what they have to say about Steve Allen and his infamous, "she's dead, get over it" comment to the audience right before Lucie (as a surprise guest) came out. And I want to know what feathers of Maury's were ruffled in the later panels.

Speaking of Steve Allen: I remember shortly after this, I think Thanksgiving 1999, FOX News did some kind of Lucy panel discussion and Steve and Jayne were among the panelists (maybe Carole was too). Did anyone ever see this? I remember at the time people online were mad that Steve was included. I don't know if that was because of his comments at the Lucy convention or because he said something during this interview. I never saw this special. I only heard about it afterwards. 

• Sad 1