Lucy Fest 2019

26 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

John Mulaney is great! He hosted Saturday Night Live last week and his "Bodega Bathroom" sketch (available on YouTube) is the most I've laughed at the show in a long time.

I usually skip the monologue but watched his this time.  We laughed at the subway bit, having just ridden the subway the day earlier. Spot on.  Bodega Bathroom was great. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Brock said:

Has anyone had any luck getting tickets for the Ernie Kovacs event? When I click on the link, it takes me back to the main page.

Yes, and it's so stupid. I had to email them about it. 

Look where it has the date in green in the center of the page. Then look to the right and you'll see "next day".  Click that.  It will take you to a new screen. Then you're good to order.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All checked in! I was a bit late for the first round of the Members' Only party (caught the tail end of it, will look closer at round two tomorrow) -- and it featured Lucy's Presidential Medal of Freedom, a selection of Lucy, Desi and Desilu stationary, one of Desi's hats, a love note from Desi to Lucy, and a family album. Other artists showcased at the members event were/are Rose Marie, Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Richard Pryor, RIchard Carlin and more. 

One interesting tidbit I picked up this afternoon is there are three new exhibitions in the works for the Lucy-Desi and Desilu museums, with a rollout between August and October 2020: Lucy in the Movies (and new items recently acquired by or loaned to the Center will feature), Desilu (to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the studio), and Lucy and Desi at Home. 

It has been a great festival so far! I'll do a recap when it's all said and done, but I wanted to weigh in now on how enjoyable the Rose Marie luncheon was. It was wonderful to see the Desilu pilot. Rose Marie was wonderful in it, and it might have worked well if they ditched the subplot of her little sister and her beau and retooled it to focus solely on her. Another highlight was the guest speaker, Helen Brown, who became good friends with Rose Marie late in life through Helen's connection with Rosemary Clooney. She was the admin of Clooney's website and came into Rose Marie's orbit when she started working on a project about 4 Girls 4. 

From there, Helen basically became Rose Marie's webmistress and was in charge of taking down what Rose Marie wanted to tweet on that particular day and posting it on her behalf, and, since her death, has been working on the archives with Noopy. She had some great stories and, in particular, some great behind-the-scenes anecdotes of Lucy's friendship with Rose Marie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brock said:

It has been a great festival so far! I'll do a recap when it's all said and done, but I wanted to weigh in now on how enjoyable the Rose Marie luncheon was. It was wonderful to see the Desilu pilot. Rose Marie was wonderful in it, and it might have worked well if they ditched the subplot of her little sister and her beau and retooled it to focus solely on her. Another highlight was the guest speaker, Helen Brown, who became good friends with Rose Marie late in life through Helen's connection with Rosemary Clooney. She was the admin of Clooney's website and came into Rose Marie's orbit when she started working on a project about 4 Girls 4. 

From there, Helen basically became Rose Marie's webmistress and was in charge of taking down what Rose Marie wanted to tweet on that particular day and posting it on her behalf, and, since her death, has been working on the archives with Noopy. She had some great stories and, in particular, some great behind-the-scenes anecdotes of Lucy's friendship with Rose Marie. 

I would LOVE to see Rose Marie’s Desilu pilot one day! And I’ve actually read a detailed piece on Clooney’s website about the history of 4 Girls 4 that must have been written by Helen Brown. It’s very interesting and I’d highly recommend it.

• Like 1