Sign in to follow this  
Luvsbway

New Play About Vivian

Luvsbway    2,076

Premiering at the Cape May Playhouse (New Jersey) in August. 

By Kim Powers
Directed by Roy Steinberg

August 7th-September 20th
Tuesday-Sunday at 8:00PM

It's the last night of filming "I Love Lucy" and America's favorite sidekick - Ethel Mertz, played by Vivian Vance - has a lot to get off her chest.  This new play gives a glimpse into the behind the scense drama of "I Love Lucy" as well as incredible unheard stories from Vivian Vance's extraordinary career.  

https://capemaystage.showare.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=4

• Like 1

Neil    1,366

"Side-KICKED".  Hmmmmm.......   This sounds like more Lucy-bashing to me.  Vivian as Ethel Mertz and Vivian Bagley can NOT be topped.  But would she have ever been a top-banana on her own?---if that is indeed the premise of this piece.   It's hard to tell with "Guestward Ho" because the script is so poor (Schiller and Weiskopf, I think!) and the single-camera laugh-track-when there's nothing-funny doesn't help.   Stars like Lucy could elevate so-so material like this.   I've seen very little of Viv's other solo work. 

Was there ever a second banana who shined as brightly as Vivian Vance?   Rhoda, I suppose.  Some may say Art Carney.  Yes, but he was very one-note (though a very GOOD note if that's your cup of tea). 

• Like 1

Luvsbway    2,076

A review.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/new-jersey/article/BWW-Review-SIDEKICKED-at-Cape-May-Stage-20190814?fbclid=IwAR1NZNThHe9IviKdvlm51vdpYVRTPQ7A2glgqrBOC4rjbxu3yPRX8gA174k

I have to disagree with one point not even haven seen this. I think VIv seemed to have a sparkling personality. She seemed like a sassy broad that would be fun to hang with. 

• Like 1