Celebrities that did not guest star on TLS or HL?

I wonder what an episode of Here's Lucy would've been like if Bill Cosby, Jim Henson or Fred Rogers guest starred? Quick question, did Lucy ever consider having Mr. Rogers appear? He just was not a fan of that slapstick comedy where they threw pies at each other. 

On Life with Lucy, Lucy was seen exercising on her little exercise trampoline, and that's when Richard Simmons was everywhere so I wonder if he would've made an appearance? :D At least we got to see them interact on Body Language in 1984!!! 

I also wish we could've seen a HL with Betty White as a guest star but at least they got to play Password together! 

• Like 1

After many appearances on "My Favorite Husband" and "I Love Lucy," I wonder why Frank Nelson never appeared on "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy."  Was he considered too similar to Gale Gordon?

I love "The Celebrity Next Door" with Miss Bankhead, but too bad Bette Davis never made it on a "Lucy" show.

23 minutes ago, RodMcK1 said:

After many appearances on "My Favorite Husband" and "I Love Lucy," I wonder why Frank Nelson never appeared on "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy."  Was he considered too similar to Gale Gordon?

I love "The Celebrity Next Door" with Miss Bankhead, but too bad Bette Davis never made it on a "Lucy" show.

Frank Nelson's last "Lucy" appearance was in "Lucy Visits the White House"

Hasn’t it been said that William Holden was slated to appear on Here’s Lucy? My memory is saying that it was “Bird-Sitter” from the final season, so I guess he would have had the Arte Johnson role? Anyway, he’s a favorite of mine and I would have liked to see Lucy reunite with him again. 

And speaking of reuniting with old co-stars, it’s too bad Richard Denning never appeared on a Lucy show.

4 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

And speaking of reuniting with old co-stars, it’s too bad Richard Denning never appeared on a Lucy show.

I've often wondered about Denning's never appearing on one of Lucy's TV shows. He could've made a good love interest for Lucy Carmichael. 

Did he ever discuss his time working with Lucy in later years? Was he bitter about her not wanting him to reprise his role on the TV series?

The recent Kate Smith controversy (and only in 2019 could there ever be a "Kate Smith Controversy") had me thinking about how Smith never guested on Lucy's shows. She was certainly active, appearing frequently on variety shows until her health failed in the late 70s. She was well-liked (until this week) and fit into that "oldies" demographic of Lucy Guest Stars (Lawrence Welk, Patty Andrews, etc). I can easily picture Lucy Carter and Uncle Harry cavorting with her, and the thought of Gale's comedic rendition of "When The Moon Comes Over The Mountain" practically sells itself.

• Like 1

Kate was the guest star on a Dean Martin Show where Lucy also guested so at least we got them together.

I had no idea about the Kate controversy and when I found out I've determined we are at at maximum WTF? with this crap.

How long before someone starts a boycotting Lucy petition over Lucy and the debunked communist crap?

• Like 2

The Kate Smith drama is ridiculous. People really need to understand the context of the era - it may be wrong today, but it wasn't so back then, and it's not fair to judge Smith by the social norms of the present. Few people back then would've batted an eye at those songs, and they certainly weren't the only examples of the type, so I guess we need to obliterate every item of entertainment created in the past in order to protect everyone's feelings? 

Luvs, you're right, it's probably only a matter of time before someone over at Buzzfeed or Bustle opens up a Lucy book, learns about the "red scare" incident and proceeds to blow it completely out of proportion. Sanders supporters will undoubtedly tear down the various Lucy statues in protest.

Your comment reminded me of a joke headline I did a few years ago: Shoot if you must this old redhead! - Running out of confederate monuments to target, Antifa turns attention to Lucille Ball statues, in order to send a message to those who disavow communism.

How long before it isn't a joke? :lucyeww:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Kate was the guest star on a Dean Martin Show where Lucy also guested so at least we got them together.

I had no idea about the Kate controversy and when I found out I've determined we are at at maximum WTF? with this crap.

How long before someone starts a boycottingucy pation over Lucy and the debunked communist crap?

Re: Dean Martin Show- Of course! They did an America-themed medley or something; I’ve seen that on YouTube. 

At first I was surprised that there didn’t seem to be much backlash around this Kate Smith thing, but when you think about it, how many people today actually know who she was? If anything, they know her from her association with the Flyers, which is pretty much dissolved at this point. It’s a shame that the small foothold her legacy had is being eradicated. Easiest case in point: The most famous blackface performer ever, Al Jolson, was a staunch supporter of African American rights during his whole career. It was a different time, folks. And forget Lucy’s nonsense communist connections- if the wrong people get ahold of “Rain Goddess” or the Japanese gardener in “Soap Opera”, she could be donezo. 

• Like 1

I made a clip of Lucy doing her rain dance about a year ago but thought,  no some woke person is going to have an issue with this and decided not to post it on my IG, because I'm just not dealing with the crap.

It seemed like Asian was the last race you could mock in a Lucy series. Although the one Here's Lucy, I'm thinking the laundry one, took a more real take on the owner and his kids, making them less stereotypical Chinese and more 1970s CA hip. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

And forget Lucy’s nonsense communist connections- if the wrong people get ahold of “Rain Goddess” or the Japanese gardener in “Soap Opera”, she could be donezo. 

That's occurred to me as well. I think The Lucy Show's more obscure status may be why it hasn't come up yet - it seems to be when shows hit streaming platforms that Wokeus Dei get ahold of them. It's largely the most accessible programs out there that are ripe for offense scrutiny. As long as TLS remains primarily available through DVD, we should be okay, since they seldom use "old" technology.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:34 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

That's occurred to me as well. I think The Lucy Show's more obscure status may be why it hasn't come up yet - it seems to be when shows hit streaming platforms that Wokeus Dei get ahold of them. It's largely the most accessible programs out there that are ripe for offense scrutiny. As long as TLS remains primarily available through DVD, we should be okay, since they seldom use "old" technology.

Oh boy, I can see TV stations now skipping or banning those particular Lucy Show episodes because it would be deemed "too offensive" to be shown on TV in the same way of those Speedy Gonzales cartoons that never see the light of the day anymore.

• Like 1