Sign in to follow this  
Freddie2

Doris Day has died

Brock    3,353
2 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Somehow, this surreal news was made all too real by this lovely TCM tribute. :( 

• Like 1

Freddie2    841

A couple of months ago I made a donation to the Animal Foundation, and knowing that Doris read all of her fan mail meant I had to include a letter. Her response is one of my most prized possessions, and I highly recommend honoring her life by making a contribution.

9igs1y.jpg

• Like 1

Neil    1,341

That is the most moving and WELL-ACTED rendition of "The Way We Were" I have ever heard.

My thoughts on Doris:  In 1964, she was movie's NUMBER ONE box office star.  By 1968, she was an anachronism.   1968 is generally acknowledged as the year movies matured.  By her own choice, Doris didn't keep up with those times.  It's reported she turned down "The Graduate".   Hard to imagine her in it.   When it was announced that DORIS DAY would be coming to television, everyone expected greatness.  In one article, circa 1966 or 1967 (nor sure) it was announced that Lucille Ball would retire in 1969 ("at the age of 59" adding a year to her age), but CBS had Doris Day under contract to ensure they would still have the #1 comedienne on television.  Of course, neither of those things happened.  "The Doris Day Show" was a huge disappointment and went through more format and cast changes than The Lucy Show (although that series is a strong #2).    TDDS might have been better in front of an audience but I don't think Dodo ever appeared onstage in a play or musical.  Success in a weekly situation comedy is not in the cards for every actor even if they seem sure-fire.  Like Doris, Jimmy Stewart and Shirley MacLaine, to name 3.   They can only elevate mundane material so far.  That Doris could keep that middling pastiche TDDS, with nary an LOL moment,  going for 5 years is a testament to her likability.  

Evidently Doris didn't need it all.  She virtually retired after TDDS at the age of 51 (same age as Lucy when TLS began!).   She could have written her own ticket with live performances but chose to live her life in relative seclusion in beautiful Carmel.   She owned a hotel (and/or restaurant?) in Carmel.  When her son ran it, she would make glad-handing appearances there.  But when he died in 2004, she quit doing that.  Disappointed by the men she chose, Doris took solace with her many dogs.  I hope she was happy. 

I hope that Doris knew and was warmed by how much we loved and admired her. 

• Like 1

Will    55

I love Doris' The Way We Were.  What a loving person and great actress. Never saw her show so no comment