Sign in to follow this  
HarryCarter

Lucy on the Big Screen on Her Birthday!

HarryCarter    1,053

Fathom Events will be screening five colorized I Love Lucy episodes plus a featurette on the colorization process at movie theaters across the country August 6!

One of the most beloved TV series of all time, I Love Lucyis coming to movie theaters for a one-night-only event in honor of Lucille Ball‘s birthday (she would’ve been 108 this August!). EW can reveal that Fathom Events and CBS Home Entertainment are paying tribute to the legendary comedian with I Love Lucy: A Colorized Celebration on Aug. 6, Ball’s birthday.

Fans can visit participating movie theaters for the chance to view five colorized episodes of the sitcom I Love Lucy, as well as an accompanying featurette, Redhead Tales, Colorizing I Love Lucy,  about the colorization process and how much it’s changed over the years. The process was conducted using the real costumes, props, sets, and other vintage material for reference wherever possible.

“Almost everyone has seen and been captivated by I Love Lucy – but even the biggest Lucy fan has rarely had an experience like this: Seeing Lucy on the big screen and laughing alongside fellow fans in a movie theater,” said Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt in a statement.

The five episodes they will feature are: 1954’s “The Million Dollar Idea,” where Lucy (Ball) and Ethel (Vivian Vance) go into business together making salad dressing; 1952’s “Lucy Does a TV Commercial,” the infamous ‘Vitameatavegemin’ episode, ranked the No. 2 television episode of all time by TV Guide; 1952’s “Pioneer Women,” where Lucy, Ethel, Fred (Wiliam Frawley), and Ricky (Desi Arnaz) make a bet to see whether the women or the men can go longer without using anything invented before 1900; 1952’s iconic “Job Switching” where Lucy and Ethel go to work in a candy factory; and 1955’s “L.A. At Last!,” the first of the show’s memorable Hollywood episodes where Lucy has a disastrous encounter with William Holden.

“We are excited to be exhibiting this timeless franchise in a new manner and hope to bring a new generation of fans to one of the greatest comedies in television history,” said Ken Ross, EVP and general manager of CBS Home Entertainment, in a statement.

CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment are also bringing I Love Lucy: Colorized Collection to DVD Aug. 13, which include 16 full-length colorized episodes of I Love Lucy, including those screened during the special celebration event.

Fans can purchase tickets beginning Friday, June 7 on the Fathom Events website or at participating theater box offices. The screening will occur at participating theaters nationwide for one night only, Aug. 6, at 7 p.m. local time.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/05/i-love-lucy-theaters-lucille-ball-birthday/

• Like 1

Luvsbway    2,049

I love when new Lucy stuff comes out of left field. This is awesome. I have 2 theaters near me that do Fathom Events.  One is a bit farther away but always runs the shows correctly. The other theater is 5 mins away and is a hot mess when it comes to anything Fathom Events. Hopefully the good theater has it. 

I also saw something about a free poster, gotta find that info.

Brock    3,374

This is very exciting -- i just wish these Fathom Events hopped the border every once in a while. 

If only they colourized the I Love Lucy Movie and gave it the official big screen release treatment!

Luvsbway    2,049

I was able to buy my ticket tonight via a direct buy from my favorite cinema with the recliner seats. First seat bought in the theatre. Smack in the center. Great way to get in the Lucy mood for Jamestown later in the week. 

• Like 1

WELL!    15
On 6/6/2019 at 11:29 PM, JoeySoCal said:

Got my tix! :HALKING:

Same! This is going to be so much fun. :HALKING:

HarryCarter    1,053

Two interviews with Lucie about the upcoming colorization event and more:

Today.com: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjSgMWY6qzjAhVFJ80KHVGOBMIQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.today.com%2Fpopculture%2Flucie-arnaz-reveals-tidbits-5-her-mom-s-classic-i-t157873&psig=AOvVaw0NDqqg08yUBymcgju1p0kL&ust=1562933245562901

A lengthy interview with Closer Magazine. I love that the first thing she says is “They had a great divorce” after last year’s “horrible divorce” misquote.

https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/lucille-ball-and-desi-arnazs-daughter-talks-legacy-of-i-love-lucy/

Luvsbway    2,049

Thanks for the links. The Closer article was a good read. 

In the today show one there's this: "My dad had some great physical comedy in this episode," said Arnaz. "Unfortunately, he slipped on some rice in one scene and broke a couple of ribs. That did not stop the show, though.

First time I think I heard about this. I know the second fall in that scene was a "hey, this got a laugh the first time, let's try that again."

Neil    1,352

I'll be there.

There was a period of time in the late 70s and early 80s when ILL was not being run on local television.  An odd little theater The Bagdad Backstage ran a couple of 50s TV nights as their "midnight movie".  Two of those featured ILL episodes: "Phipps" and "In Palm Springs".  It was great to be present for the audience reaction.  The Backstage was literally that.  The Bagdad had at one time been a vaudeville house and there were still pulleys for scenery and a high ceiling.  The chairs in the theater were couches and bean-bag chairs.  The Bagdad is incidentally where Mame had a 4-month run in 1974 with a big mural of Lucy as Mame covering one side of the theater. 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    1,053
3 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Thanks for the links. The Closer article was a good read. 

In the today show one there's this: "My dad had some great physical comedy in this episode," said Arnaz. "Unfortunately, he slipped on some rice in one scene and broke a couple of ribs. That did not stop the show, though.

First time I think I heard about this. I know the second fall in that scene was a "hey, this got a laugh the first time, let's try that again."

I think Lucie’s mistaken there. She also says it was from Pioneer Women instead of Job Switching.