Sign in to follow this  
Shemp

LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

rspeterson3    10
11 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Surprisingly high SRP for such a short series. I'm sure it'll be discounted soon. 

I thought so too but I pre-ordered anyway!  I never thought I’d have this on dvd.  

Mot Morenzi    1,551
57 minutes ago, rspeterson3 said:

I thought so too but I pre-ordered anyway!  I never thought I’d have this on dvd.  

Oh, I'll be ordering it as well, but I might check and see if the price comes down any further first. 

I'm glad Amazon is discounting the SRP already, because $50.00 is a bit steep for a not-exactly-beloved series. Then again, CBS likely isn't anticipating I Love Lucy level sales and want a safeguard to recoup their costs. (Either that or the Eydie Gormé estate has high licensing fees.)

• Like 3

Harrison    107

Amazon currently (as of 8/14/19) is charging $34.99 for this set. Too high of an asking price if you ask me. I think $19.99 is a fair price for a new release like this.

Mot Morenzi    1,551
15 hours ago, Harrison said:

Amazon currently (as of 8/14/19) is charging $34.99 for this set. Too high of an asking price if you ask me. I think $19.99 is a fair price for a new release like this.

Agreed, but I somehow have a feeling that the price will drop markedly after the initial release. 

Mot Morenzi    1,551

The cover art design has grown on me, which is a good thing, as it looks like they're sticking with it. I quite like the yellow background. 

If I could change anything, it'd be to use the actual title font and capitalize the W in with, and make it yellow like in the series. 

I would also choose a different picture. There's an alternate shot of Lucy and Gale in the bubbles that has both of them looking into the camera; that might be a bit more effective than the one currently chosen, with Gale staring off to the side. 

Speaking of bubbles - the foam coming down over the border is a clever idea, but the overlay is very obvious. That could use some better blending. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    858
12 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

The cover art design has grown on me, which is a good thing, as it looks like they're sticking with it. I quite like the yellow background. 

If I could change anything, it'd be to use the actual title font and capitalize the W in with, and make it yellow like in the series. 

I would also choose a different picture. There's an alternate shot of Lucy and Gale in the bubbles that has both of them looking into the camera; that might be a bit more effective than the one currently chosen, with Gale staring off to the side. 

Speaking of bubbles - the foam coming down over the border is a clever idea, but the overlay is very obvious. That could use some better blending. 

It’s not the worst (remember that odd closeup shot that was originally publicized for the Calls The President cover art?), but I’d think that they would at least use that nice cast photo with Lucy standing over the couch. 

Mot Morenzi    1,551
4 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

It’s not the worst (remember that odd closeup shot that was originally publicized for the Calls The President cover art?), but I’d think that they would at least use that nice cast photo with Lucy standing over the couch. 

Hopefully the cast photo will appear on the back. 

• Like 1

JoeySoCal    1,017

I'm a bit taken aback at the bitching about the SRP. We're LUCKY to get this as a legitimate release AT ALL! This is such a rarity and given the show was such a bust (and that it contains so few episodes) , it's amazing they're even bothering to release it at all, bare bones as I'm sure it'll be.

Shop wisely and NOBODY has to pay the full retail price but if you don't do your homework, you'll not get "a deal" (I couldn't help laugh to myself at a fan on another site bragging about finding the new Colorized DVD release for $30 at a lukel Barnes & Noble when she could have got it at Target, Walmart and multiple places online for $20 or so! That's just idiocy to me!)

Of course you could always wait awhile and hope that (and it probably will) the price comes down.  Look how cheaply you can now grab copies of the two ILL Blu-ray releases, as well as the complete series boxes of ILL and The Lucy Show!  If you're a tightwad, go ahead and wait! :HALKING:

• Like 1

rspeterson3    10
4 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

I'm a bit taken aback at the bitching about the SRP. We're LUCKY to get this as a legitimate release AT ALL! This is such a rarity and given the show was such a bust (and that it contains so few episodes) , it's amazing they're even bothering to release it at all, bare bones as I'm sure it'll be.

Shop wisely and NOBODY has to pay the full retail price but if you don't do your homework, you'll not get "a deal" (I couldn't help laugh to myself at a fan on another site bragging about finding the new Colorized DVD release for $30 at a lukel Barnes & Noble when she could have got it at Target, Walmart and multiple places online for $20 or so! That's just idiocy to me!)

Of course you could always wait awhile and hope that (and it probably will) the price comes down.  Look how cheaply you can now grab copies of the two ILL Blu-ray releases, as well as the complete series boxes of ILL and The Lucy Show!  If you're a tightwad, go ahead and wait! :HALKING:

I wasn’t b*tching about that price but I was surprised.  I’m fine with the $34 and preordered.  I’ve been hoping forever that LWL would get released. 

• Like 1

Mot Morenzi    1,551
10 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Like RS, I wasn't bitching. I was just surprised, that's all. Obviously we'll be able to get it at most places for less than the SRP. 

So "Won't You Calm Down, JoeySoCal" :) 

• Like 1

JoeySoCal    1,017
14 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Like RS, I wasn't bitching. I was just surprised, that's all. Obviously we'll be able to get it at most places for less than the SRP. 

So "Won't You Calm Down, JoeySoCal" :) 

I wasn't singling anyone out for their remarks, just the general "'tude" of those who think this legit, never-thought-it'd-actually-happen release is "overpriced": if that's what you think, then don't buy it. 

I'll do my homework, preorder it at the best price I can find and support the release.  Again, we're unbelieveably LUCKY we're getting it!

If you don't like my choice of words (ok, substitute with "griping"), then don't read my posts. I have just as much right to my opinion here as you whiners.  Get over it. 

• Confused 1

Mot Morenzi    1,551
7 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

If you don't like my choice of words (ok, substitute with "griping"), then don't read my posts. I have just as much right to my opinion here as you whiners.  Get over it. 

:lucyshock:

I don't think anybody's taking issue with your posts or saying you don't have a right to express your opinion. I completely agree that we're very lucky to get this release.

I think we were merely expressing our belief that $50 was perhaps a bit high for only 13 episodes. Naturally, of course, that's only the "suggested" retail price, and most outlets will ignore that suggestion and sell it for far less. I also have no doubt it'll be discounted further after release. I certainly wasn't being a "whiner" - just stating my viewpoint.

My concern was that the initial price point might turn off casual purchasers, like the Blu-Ray cost did. True, there aren't exactly additional season releases dependent on this unit's sales, but still...I hope future discounts will ensure everyone can get this.

• Like 1

Mot Morenzi    1,551

I just found this great interview segment with Jenny Lewis:

Who would be your perfect main stage Coachella hologram to perform alongside?
Lucille Ball. She was my mentor. I was on a show with her called Life with Lucy when I was a little kid. She played my grandmother. She was very tough on me but taught me a lot of important things. She was stern and she wanted me to focus and she taught me a lot of great lessons that I still carry with me.

Like what?
“Learn your fucking lines, kid!” (laughs)