Sign in to follow this  
Shemp

LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

Mot Morenzi    1,569

Apparently, what gave Jess ammo is that the writers had it in their contracts that Lucy Carmichael was to be based on Lucy Ricardo. So, if it was indeed written into a legal document that Oppenheimer's character was the source material, that could've given grounds for the court to listen. 

Neil    1,379
15 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Apparently, what gave Jess ammo is that the writers had it in their contracts that Lucy Carmichael was to be based on Lucy Ricardo. So, if it was indeed written into a legal document that Oppenheimer's character was the source material, that could've given grounds for the court to listen. 

Well I suppose.....but I would limit the similarities to the first 2 seasons.  The various writers from the 3rd season on wrote a different Lucy Carmichael than Lucy Ricardo.   Very little of Lucy Ricardo is in Lucy Carter, IMO. 

Neil    1,379

I hope the LWL DVD set includes some missing scenes: like Lucy bouncing on her bed----cut from the premiere. 

RodMcK1    60
15 hours ago, Neil said:

I hope the LWL DVD set includes some missing scenes: like Lucy bouncing on her bed----cut from the premiere. 

As these DVDs are apparently coming from the videotape masters (and not the original film elements), I doubt this will be seen.

Mot Morenzi    1,569
3 minutes ago, RodMcK1 said:

As these DVDs are apparently coming from the videotape masters (and not the original film elements), I doubt this will be seen.

Sadly, I think you're right. Any cut footage would likely be wherever the negatives are, if they survive. I hope they do somewhere. 

Neil    1,379
On 8/26/2019 at 6:33 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

Sadly, I think you're right. Any cut footage would likely be wherever the negatives are, if they survive. I hope they do somewhere. 

If the  LWL-DVD was produced by either the Lucy Show or Here's Lucy DVD teams, they'll at least TRY to use the best source material and include outtakes, etc.   As much as I want this to complete the Lucy series-on DVD collection, I dread the resurrection of the cruel reviews.  But then again, maybe time will be kinder to LWL.  Younger people who haven't been influenced and  jaded by 40 years of Mame bashing seem to like the movie.

• Like 1

Mot Morenzi    1,569
1 hour ago, Neil said:

If the  LWL-DVD was produced by either the Lucy Show or Here's Lucy DVD teams, they'll at least TRY to use the best source material and include outtakes, etc.   As much as I want this to complete the Lucy series-on DVD collection, I dread the resurrection of the cruel reviews.  But then again, maybe time will be kinder to LWL.  Younger people who haven't been influenced and  jaded by 40 years of Mame bashing seem to like the movie.

And as you've said, LWL only pales in comparison to her previous TV efforts. Compared to some other 1986 shows, it's not that bad. 

Unfortunately, most reviewers will probably only compare it to her other shows and not take it on its own merits, as comparisons are so frequent these days. I hope the reporting critics don't try to politicize it. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    867

During the 1986-87 season, ABC alone had Growing Pains, Head of The Class, Mr. Belvedere, and Webster. Other networks had Gimme a Break!, The Facts of Life, Amen, ALF, and Designing Women, all of which (from what I've seen) I would consider to be at the very least on the same level as LWL. Lucy just had the terrible problem of coming back after a legacy that was unprecedented. Now, I'm not a Star Wars fan by any means, but wouldn't it kind of be like when they made "The Prequels" after the cultural milestone of the original trilogy of movies? There was just too much success to follow.