LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

Shemp

I worked through all the bonus footage. The ABC promos are much quicker than I thought. The ET piece is nice, but the Hour Magazine segments are the best. I had pieces of them but to see them in their full version is wonderful. Lucy gets emotional at 2 parts and it's very sweet as you can see how the two people who bring on those tears mean in her life.

As for the quality I would say it's comparable with any 80s sitcom done on film and is currently being shown in TV/Streaming. When you compare them to how bright, clean and clear The Lucy Show color episodes and the full run of Here's Lucy are they are not quite as good. But they are SOOOOOO much better than anything we've seen before. I have the first episode video taped off Nick at Night from the 90s and this disk is better than that straight from TV recording. Sound was another problem with the bootlegs and now I can hear everything wonderful.

With the new quality comes my favorite game of finding details. One I'm being drawn to right now are 2 rings Lucy is wearing. In a few episodes there is a large stone on on her left hand. Still trying to figure that one out. The second is a gold band on her right hand. I have a hunch this may be her wedding ring (a bit more polished than I remember it) because the width seems about right. Probably just switched hands because of being a widow on the show. So far as I skip around it's in every episode. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Will said:

That is a great article. I love how he sourced all the times Lucy said she would not do another series. Great research. And his take on it not being so bad is very fair too. 

7 minutes ago, Brock said:

I was getting too frustrated by Amazon.ca’s lack of status update so I was at the store 15 minutes after opening a moment ago to grab it! :D Can’t wait to dig in after work. 

I know how you feel. Battling traffic home last night in the rain. 'People stop being stupid and go, I've got rare Lucy to watch." On my couch later watching episode one while shoving sandwiches in my mouth and telling Charlie, just ignore some of the bad jokes and watch Jenny Lewis. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Amazon said that my DVD wouldn’t arrive until Thursday, so I cancelled it and ordered it at Barnes and Noble. I’ll pick it up later today. I can’t wait!

It looks like Deep Discount has it cheapest: $27. 

Deep Discount wanted to charge me tax so after a price compare Bull Moose was only 40cents more so I just let my order stand there. Glad I did as I got it a day early.  Amazon use to always be the cheapest and you got your stuff on release day. Glad there are other retailers out there now that can price compete and get you the stuff when promised. 

1 hour ago, Brock said:

I was getting too frustrated by Amazon.ca’s lack of status update so I was at the store 15 minutes after opening a moment ago to grab it! :D Can’t wait to dig in after work. 

That is frustrating when Amazon is supposed to deliver it on a release day and yet you can get it in the store faster. I know someone in Connecticut who ordered it same time as me and got there package yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

I'm noticing more and more that I have shipments arriving late or getting lost. I don't know if it's this switch to one day Prime or they just are dealing with so many retailers they can't get things figured out. Bigger isn't always better. 

Are you a Prime member? I've found my non-prime shipments have been much slower since they have tried to incentivize the program.

Watching the first episode during lunch: Have we considered the exterior filming location location of the LWL house? 

1 hour ago, Brock said:

Are you a Prime member? I've found my non-prime shipments have been much slower since they have tried to incentivize the program.

Watching the first episode during lunch: Have we considered the exterior filming location location of the LWL house? 

I'm Prime so they should have no excuse. 

1 hour ago, Brock said:

Another great example of the picture quality is being able to see the texture of the vinyl-like necktie material Gale is wearing for the pasta maker bit.

This was the only "good" episode I had of the whole lot as I had the original recorded off Nick At Night, so I was able to see the tie. 

Another things I'm noticing are some awkward pickup shots. But what's interesting about that is each series Lucy did, in the beginning all had wonky pickup shots. 

17 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

This was the only "good" episode I had of the whole lot as I had the original recorded off Nick At Night, so I was able to see the tie. 

Another things I'm noticing are some awkward pickup shots. But what's interesting about that is each series Lucy did, in the beginning all had wonky pickup shots. 

On the subject of editing, the LWL promos on the extras are edited very strangely. Having not seen the originals on VHS anywhere, I hope I'm right in assuming the end frames got mistakenly trimmed from each of them during the DVD transfer.

4 minutes ago, Brock said:

On the subject of editing, the LWL promos on the extras are edited very strangely. Having not seen the originals on VHS anywhere, I hope I'm right in assuming the end frames got mistakenly trimmed from each of them during the DVD transfer.

They are ridiculously short. I wonder if they were part of a larger 30sec promo and they just cut all the other shows off that were part of the promo leaving the LWL bits. I was hoping for full 15 and 30 promos for the show.