LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

Shemp

10 hours ago, Will said:

Nice article. LWL does seem like it would have fit better as part of a TGIF style block of programming. Nevertheless, glad it's finally out. Next I wonder if CBS will do a complete mega set of ILL, LDCH, TLS, and LWL?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rickylu said:

Nice article. LWL does seem like it would have fit better as part of a TGIF style block of programming. Nevertheless, glad it's finally out. Next I wonder if CBS will do a complete mega set of ILL, LDCH, TLS, and LWL?

I’ve though the same thing about the show being a great fit for TGIF! Although, Lucy didn’t live too long after that lineup became a “thing”. LWL also might’ve been a good fit for syndication or even as original programming on Nick at Nite. 

I stopped at both Wal-Marts in my city, plus Target and Best Buy and came up short with all of them. The safest bet would probably be to order it online, but from what it sounds like, I may have to wait longer than usual. I was hoping I could just pick it up immediately at the store- I hate the anticipation of waiting for a package to arrive- especially one as big as this!

7 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

I stopped at both Wal-Marts in my city, plus Target and Best Buy and came up short with all of them. The safest bet would probably be to order it online, but from what it sounds like, I may have to wait longer than usual. I was hoping I could just pick it up immediately at the store- I hate the anticipation of waiting for a package to arrive- especially one as big as this!

I did the same thing for the colorized edition of I Love Lucy back in August. And came up short there. It seems like ordering online is the way to go most of the time when it comes to certain DVD releases. Which is a bummer.

45 minutes ago, rickylu said:

Next I wonder if CBS will do a complete mega set of ILL, LDCH, TLS, and LWL?

It wouldn't be complete if it doesn't include Here's Lucy. Hopefully MPI and CBS/Paramount will team up and do a COMPLETE LUCY TV SERIES DVD collection with all 507 Lucy episodes and possibly all of the Lucy specials Lucille Ball did after Here's Lucy. The perfect time to release something like this would be Lucille Ball's 110 Birthday which is August 6th, 2021. Little under two years from now. Hopefully these two companies will work something out between now and then.

The video quality of the episodes is quite good considering they used the videotape masters rather than go back to the film elements.

Of the promos, I wish the early one with Gale “ surprising” a seated Lucy was included.  It may have been produced before any episodes were filmed.

5 hours ago, Brock said:

On the subject of editing, the LWL promos on the extras are edited very strangely. Having not seen the originals on VHS anywhere, I hope I'm right in assuming the end frames got mistakenly trimmed from each of them during the DVD transfer.

I was thinking that these were originally combined with Ellen Burstyn Show promos. 

5 hours ago, RodMcK1 said:

The video quality of the episodes is quite good considering they used the videotape masters rather than go back to the film elements.

They actually tried to do this, but the film couldn't be found. Maybe it'll turn up someday, but at least the tapes survived. 

6 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

You're recreating my 2004 hunt for the first Here's Lucy boxset! 

Try Borders...oh, wait, they went out of business. 

I got to thinking this morning about jobs in the McGibbon family. When Lucy and Curtis move in it’s mentioned that they can help with the finances since Margo’s job doesn’t pay a lot and Ted is in law school. I have lots of questions. Was Ted working before he went to law school and saved up the money for school from his previous job? Was it ever established that he is working while going to law school? How was the family with 2 kids getting along before the grandparents showed up with their hardware money? Was Margo the only one making money in the house before then? What did she do for a job, I don’t think that was ever mentioned?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I got to thinking this morning about jobs in the McGibbon family. When Lucy and Curtis move in it’s mentioned that they can help with the finances since Margo’s job doesn’t pay a lot and Ted is in law school. I have lots of questions. Was Ted working before he went to law school and saved up the money for school from his previous job? Was it ever established that he is working while going to law school? How was the family with 2 kids getting along before the grandparents showed up with their hardware money? Was Margo the only one making money in the house before then? What did she do for a job, I don’t think that was ever mentioned?

Those are very good questions. I would also like to know the answers, if there are any.

19 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I think Fidelman mentioned how the show never clarified those things. Part of the problem with the series was that it was simultaneously convoluted and under-developed. The foundation could've been built better. 

10 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

The department store Nedermyers gets mentioned a few times as well as on shopping bags. Did the LWL writing staff contain an ex Mama's Family writer? The same store is mentioned on that series. 

Yes, they always talked about Nedermyers on Mama's Family. I think Mama loved shopping there, except for that one time with that awful sales lady when she bought Fran a dress.

Well considering that they got the amount WAY off it already is a crap review. And if you are going to say you watched this with her then maybe provide a bit more details. Were you the liquor store delivery boy and she said, 'hey kid, come watch this piece of trash they forced me to make!" Did they watch it when it aired, or from her private collection years later. Yeah, so much crap here.

I got to thinking. I might know who this is. Given the name and some social media run ins and a mention in someone's book, it's all starting to gel. 

• Like 3

After watching "Green Thumb" on my lunch break this afternoon, I'm very curious to go home and watch my bootleg of the same episode. The editing job on the final scene at the hardware store is alarmingly bad, with boom mics all over the place, and peaks above the set walls. I don't remember those bits jumping out at all on VHS.