Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shemp

LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

Recommended Posts

My copy has FINALLY arrived!!! Yipppeeee!!! Now I'm watching the premiere episode. Plan to watch all of the episodes of the first disc, at least, by tonight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 5:13 AM, Will said:

This was the sort of perspective I was hoping for.  Though I thought Lucy's LWL make-up was too harsh, she moved like a much younger woman.  (Example: her entrance dancing to "Top Jimmy and the Rhythm  Pigs"--was that a real group??).  And the critic reaction WAS quite ageist, and unfair--always stating she was 75 and "shouldn't be doing" what she could still do. Now that some of these critics are themselves probably 75, maybe they see things a little differently.  Writer is right about supporting cast.   With the exception of Leonard (and of course Gale), they were as bland as bland can be.   In retrospect, the premiere was as good as anyone could expect it to be.  (But--ONCE AGAIN-- shame on director and/or editor for including the foam output of a second extinguisher.)   And BYW, Lucy's first "I'll never do another....can't top what....." came after LDCH, 2 year before The Lucy Show. 

One misquote: "Stone Pillow" was CBS not ABC.  (Luckily when Lucy Moved to NBC, she got a round-trip ticket.) The "Stone Pillow" history depends on the writer.  Some have referred to it as a failure, both critically and ratings-wise.  Here, the writer is closer to the truth.  While not a ground-breaking TV movie, it scored in the top 10 for the week--a major accomplishment considering it was opposite a segment of ABC's very popular "Helen & Ann" * mini-series. 

*excuse me: that was "North and South(ern)"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Lucy's answer to Gary Collins/Hour Magazine question: "(without Vivian) would you ever do a series with another woman?".   (Answer: a definite "No, sir.")

Speaking for Mary Jane Lewis, all I can say is "WELL!!!  What was I?  Chopped Chipmunk Liver???"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DVD was expected to arrive on Tuesday so I was happily surprised to see that it came today. With the unparalleled picture clarity, the nuances of Lucy and Gale's performances stand out more than ever. The extent to which Lucy elevates the material is nothing short of incredible, but we all know that. Like everyone else, the quality and special features are the real thrill for me. The main thing that I've been trying to look for is any sign of development over the episodes. You'd think that after the reviews and ratings started to come in, somebody would've put their foot down and done some tweaking, but I don't see much. The first half of the season has a lot of great physical comedy while the unaired episodes are a much better showcase for the family and their dynamic. If only the show had been given the full season it was promised- I think there would have been a lot more to dissect. 

Also, the Hour Magazine interview makes me consider the credibility of that longstanding rumor that Audrey Meadows was approached to be a regular cast member. Lucy's reverence for Viv is so heartwarming. I don't know how Audrey would have been as a second banana; Lucy and Curtis already have their well-established love/hate relationship and I think that yet another character would have been a misstep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think the idea of Meadows joining was more a secret wish for certain writers and crew members than a fully considered idea. As to whether or not she was approached and turned down the offer, I can't say. "Mother of the Bride" may have been the 8th episode to air, but it was the 12th one shot, second to last. It was only a week later they found out the series was cancelled. So if there was talk of Audrey coming aboard, it likely would've only been a very brief consideration before being rendered moot.

Had the series continued, it might've been nice to see her appear on a recurring basis to freshen things up, but I, too, can't see her being incorporated as a regular. It would've complicated things even further. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Neil said:

Re: Lucy's answer to Gary Collins/Hour Magazine question: "(without Vivian) would you ever do a series with another woman?".   (Answer: a definite "No, sir.")

Speaking for Mary Jane Lewis, all I can say is "WELL!!!  What was I?  Chopped Chipmunk Liver???"

Speaking for Vanda: "Well, Diamond Jane Brady coytaintly didn't like workin' much with the ladies! If she keeps that up, she'll be in hawt watah!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Neil said:

This was the sort of perspective I was hoping for.  Though I thought Lucy's LWL make-up was too harsh, she moved like a much younger woman.  (Example: her entrance dancing to "Top Jimmy and the Rhythm  Pigs"--was that a real group??).  And the critic reaction WAS quite ageist, and unfair--always stating she was 75 and "shouldn't be doing" what she could still do. Now that some of these critics are themselves probably 75, maybe they see things a little differently.  Writer is right about supporting cast.   With the exception of Leonard (and of course Gale), they were as bland as bland can be.   In retrospect, the premiere was as good as anyone could expect it to be.  (But--ONCE AGAIN-- shame on director and/or editor for including the foam output of a second extinguisher.)   And BYW, Lucy's first "I'll never do another....can't top what....." came after LDCH, 2 year before The Lucy Show. 

One misquote: "Stone Pillow" was CBS not ABC.  (Luckily when Lucy Moved to NBC, she got a round-trip ticket.) The "Stone Pillow" history depends on the writer.  Some have referred to it as a failure, both critically and ratings-wise.  Here, the writer is closer to the truth.  While not a ground-breaking TV movie, it scored in the top 10 for the week--a major accomplishment considering it was opposite a segment of ABC's very popular "Helen & Ann" * mini-series. 

*excuse me: that was "North and South(ern)"

Top Jimmy & The Rhythm Pigs actually do exist.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching my dvd set and thoroughly enjoyed it!  I know reviews back in the day said she was too old and it was a rehash.  Here’s my take.  I always thought Lucy Ricardo would be a fun friend, Lucy Carmichael a cool aunt and Lucy Carter a fun mom.  After watching Life with Lucy, I see Lucy Barker as a fun grandma.  I now feel like I’ve been able to experience the full life cycle of the “Lucy” character.  I’m really pleased about that!  When the price goes does on the LWL set, I’m going to buy a back up copy!   I ❤️ Lucy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, Brock said:

"The resolution is a little lower which probably works out fine for Gale Gordon."

RUDE.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 October 2019 at 8:07 AM, Brock said:

"The resolution is a little lower which probably works out fine for Gale Gordon."

RUDE.

Yeah, that was an unnecessarily comment of his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rude comment about Gale made me remember something I was going to ask. Does anyone think there is a bit of soft focus used on shots of Lucy? This was something that I had been trying to figure out starting back with Here’s Lucy. I know the closeups of Lucy really started to trail off starting with Here’s Lucy and I’ve been trying to pay attention to how tight they get with her on LWL. Gale seems to have some tighter framed shots in comparison to Lucy and his seem clear. I’m undecided on Lucy’s tightest shots if there are any “softness” to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My copy FINALLY arrived today! Took Amazon a week after I ordered before they shipped.

I've only briefly checked it out but the quality is great. I immediately went to the special features, none of which I've seen before. I was interested to note that the ET segment utilised the rare 5th season "The Lucy Show" title screen. Where on earth would they have gotten that back in the 1980s!?

At long last I can finally retire my CrummyVision Whiner's Club Bootleg edition, unless of course I get a hankering to watch that enervating cast party video. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only watched the one I saw being filmed: the unaired "Breaking Up".  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the episode.  It's no watch-it-over&over-again I Love Lucy but everything's there, including a bit of Lucy-isms: talking to Curtis through the kazoo.   I haven't seen the others in a while but the also-unaired  "Greatest Grandma" was also a worthy episode.  Of the other unaired episodes: "Up a Tree", "Green Thumb" and "Guard Goose", as I recall they were best left unaired.   I'll have to watch "Goose" again but the fact that it's a misfire is strange.  I'll bet it looked better on paper.  Bob & Madelyn tried to incorporate the current goings-on into their plots. (Did you know they got the idea for 1964's "Job at Bank" trap door from a bank that actually had one?).  Guard geese were indeed in use.  Not explained: the morning after clean up of goose-doo.  Also hiding a key outside in a rock was new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 9, 2019 at 4:56 AM, Brock said:

Another great example of the picture quality is being able to see the texture of the vinyl-like necktie material Gale is wearing for the pasta maker bit.

I'm loving all the details that weren't clear until now. I'd never noticed the vinyl necktie either. I'd also never spotted the little R2D2 figure in the living room before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ball insisted on using her longtime writers Bob Carroll, Jr., Madelyn Pugh and Martin Davis, who had been writing for her since My Favorite Husband, I Love Lucy's radio predecessor.

:lucymeh:

Critical research failure.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mickie said:

another review of Life With Lucy: https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/74063/life-with-lucy-the-complete-series/

and not a bad review. 

Although brief, the reviewer makes some good points. I love that he refers to criticisms of Lucy's Mame as "atypical". When he hypothesizes the show actually being a hit, he brings up something that I've never thought of. If the show had continued, how long would Lucy and Gale be able to keep up the physical comedy? I really do believe that if LWL had continued Lucy would have made it past '89, and maybe (like with the broken leg arc on HL) the scripts would actually start to acknowledge her age. The gals on Grace and Frankie are now older than Lucy and Gale were in 1986, and even though the physical comedy bits aren't nearly as constant, they still pull them off without critics bitching about their age and mobility. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Although brief, the reviewer makes some good points. I love that he refers to criticisms of Lucy's Mame as "atypical". When he hypothesizes the show actually being a hit, he brings up something that I've never thought of. If the show had continued, how long would Lucy and Gale be able to keep up the physical comedy? I really do believe that if LWL had continued Lucy would have made it past '89, and maybe (like with the broken leg arc on HL) the scripts would actually start to acknowledge her age. The gals on Grace and Frankie are now older than Lucy and Gale were in 1986, and even though the physical comedy bits aren't nearly as constant, they still pull them off without critics bitching about their age and mobility. 

Oh, I've thought about that - if the show was a hit, how long would she continue with it. I though maybe 3 seasons. If LWL was a hit that would have really kept Lucy in good spirits and maybe health and she probably would have lived longer.  I think you are right, if the seasons had continued they would have eventually acknowledged the age issue. They never got a chance to work on improving the show. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...