Sign in to follow this  
Shemp

LIFE WITH LUCY Coming to DVD Oct. 8 2019

11 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Seeing the snippet of the deleted bedroom scene makes me wish they'd included it -- even if they couldn't remaster it to the quality of the full episodes -- so at least we could see them; plus, there must be others cut for time, etc. (certainly wasn't for laughs! :HALKING:)  I don't even remember her doing that sort of "twirl" move on the bed! 😲

There were at least a few other deleted scenes of note. That shot in the intro of Lucy descending the stairs in her pink date dress while Larry Anderson fans himself must've been cut from "2x4s". As well, "Sax Symbol" ends with Lucy and Becky alone in the basement, with Curtis off fetching the saw to cut the sax off Lucy's hand. The cutting scene was filmed, as I found a publicity still of Gale Gordon holding the saw while Lucy and Becky cringe. I'll try to find that shot again and share it here.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:13 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

The cutting scene was filmed, as I found a publicity still of Gale Gordon holding the saw while Lucy and Becky cringe. I'll try to find that shot again and share it here.

gettyimages-462251604-594x594.jpg

gettyimages-462251610-594x594.jpg

Added to "The List of Noses I Will Tweak if I ever Meet Them in Person" ----Tom Shales,  the OBTUSE PUTZ and TV critic for the Washington Post at the time of LWL.   He was one of the nationally known critics to be particularly cruel in his assessment of Life with Lucy and Lucy herself.    Not content with just that, when the show was cancelled he wrote sort of a "NYAAH" column under the title:  "Commentary" to, in effect, rub it in.  He was personally offended by Lucy's appearance on "Joan Rivers" saying she cried after she read some of the "notices" (quotation marks: his). He calls the display mawkish and embarrassing and accusing her of trying to "mobilize the audience for a critics lynching party".  He then goes on to bash the show again.  "The TV audience had grown too sophisticated for slapstick"...REALLY???   He ALMOST ends on a positive note "Surely there is a place in television for a performer and gifted as Lucille Ball. Perhaps Lucy can return as a character with some depth and feeling" but then feels the need to add "She really should play a crabby, wealthy old TV star, which she is", a not-particularly-witty and totally unnecessary remark. 

It's very possible that Shales is now 75 or close to it, so while I'm tweaking his nose, I'm going to call him "aged" three times.   Also on my nose tweaking list: Ethan Mordann. I missed my chance with Herb Kenwith the one time I was within nose-tweaking range.  

• Sad 2

"The TV audience had grown too sophisticated for slapstick"

Because people were so were so over it by Will and Grace they had to reboot the series.

The nose tweak I keep picturing Lucy bopping Gale in the nose multiple times on his sunburn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neil said:

It's very possible that Shales is now 75 or close to it

He is exactly 75 as of this writing...the same age Lucy was when she did Life With Lucy.

If he hasn't retired by now, he should, as he's clearly "too old" to be doing the same schtick he did in his 40s.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Related to the subject Neil just wrote about, I recently found this gut-wrenching article by Bob Greene from May, 1989, a week after her passing.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-05-01-8904080941-story.html

So much truth.

What's interesting is I still see this today. People are shocked on social media when you burst their "Lucy" bubble. They know and love I Love Lucy but not so much her other shows. They adore Lucy and Desi together and romanticize the union so heavily they either don't know about or dismiss their second marriages. 

And God forbid you present anything that shows Lucille was nothing like she was on screen.