Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RodMcK1

Complete "Lucy Show" DVD $26.00

Recommended Posts

Harrison    107

Wow and to think when The Lucy Show season DVDs first came out they were about $29.99. Now you get the whole series on DVD with that same amount of money!  

I may be purchasing this but may not. The DVD cases are quite cheap and break easily thus making it a risk of the DVDs themselves getting scratched. I know because I've bought a couple of various complete TV series from CBS/Paramount and that is what happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freddie2    867

Since I'm a cheapskate like my namesake, I'd normally be all for this deal, however... I agree with Harrison that these releases just aren't up to snuff. It's great for a show that you like a lot but don't watch all the time; for example I have "budget" releases of Andy Griffith, NewsRadio, Laverne & Shirley, Mad About You, and Three's Company, but I wouldn't want to complete my Lucy Show collection with this, knowing how it would be packaged. Yes, I am shamefully admitting that I only own seasons 2-4 of TLS on DVD and haven't bothered to pick up the other seasons since. I know, I know, for someone with a steady income I have no reason not to have completed my collection by now. However, this post has given me inspiration, and I'll probably be logging onto Amazon within a matter of minutes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,569

That's the caveat with these low-cost releases: they can sell them so low because the packaging's really cheap. And given the way Amazon tends to pack things, you're likely to have a box full of plastic slivers by the time it arrives. In the past, though, they've been good about packing the replacement better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harrison    107
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Freddie2 said:

Since I'm a cheapskate like my namesake, I'd normally be all for this deal, however... I agree with Harrison that these releases just aren't up to snuff. It's great for a show that you like a lot but don't watch all the time; for example I have "budget" releases of Andy Griffith, NewsRadio, Laverne & Shirley, Mad About You, and Three's Company, but I wouldn't want to complete my Lucy Show collection with this, knowing how it would be packaged. Yes, I am shamefully admitting that I only own seasons 2-4 of TLS on DVD and haven't bothered to pick up the other seasons since. I know, I know, for someone with a steady income I have no reason not to have completed my collection by now. However, this post has given me inspiration, and I'll probably be logging onto Amazon within a matter of minutes.

Your best bet is to wait until Wal-Mart sells them again. That will give you the option to make sure that everything is in intact and you don't have to worry. Because you'll know just by picking up the DVD set. That's what I did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mickie    43

That would be a great deal for a back up, since i already have all seasons in nice packaging. Is the packaging for this set really that bad?? This would also make a great gift for someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,569
10 minutes ago, mickie said:

That would be a great deal for a back up, since i already have all seasons in nice packaging. Is the packaging for this set really that bad?? This would also make a great gift for someone. 

All 24 discs are housed in one giant DVD case made of rather flimsy plastic. Be cautious when ordering online, as they break easily in transit. You might be better off trying to find it at a store, or else be prepared for Amazon to replace it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harrison    107
1 hour ago, mickie said:

That would be a great deal for a back up, since i already have all seasons in nice packaging. Is the packaging for this set really that bad?? This would also make a great gift for someone. 

You or any customer (really) are almost better off by just getting the individual seasons when they are on sale. Just for the better packaging. I remember once the complete series of TLS officially came out on DVD, the price of the six-season bundle of TLS went straight up by about forty bucks.

That is one thing I do appreciate about the complete series release of Here's Lucy (unlike ILL, TLS or any TV series released by CBS/Paramount) is that the each season has its own case and each case in housed in one box that fits all of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeySoCal    1,018

"That is one thing I do appreciate about the complete series release of Here's Lucy (unlike ILL, TLS or any TV series released by CBS/Paramount) is that the each season has its own case and each case in housed in one box that fits all of them."

 

Well that's because they literally, literally took the 6 single release issues and shoved them in a box that fit all 6 and let 'er rip! :HALKING:

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mickie    43
On 8/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

All 24 discs are housed in one giant DVD case made of rather flimsy plastic. Be cautious when ordering online, as they break easily in transit. You might be better off trying to find it at a store, or else be prepared for Amazon to replace it. 

well that's really a shame. Already have my DVDs from when they first came out. Thought it might me a nice gift but guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mickie    43
On 8/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, Harrison said:

You or any customer (really) are almost better off by just getting the individual seasons when they are on sale. Just for the better packaging. I remember once the complete series of TLS officially came out on DVD, the price of the six-season bundle of TLS went straight up by about forty bucks.

That is one thing I do appreciate about the complete series release of Here's Lucy (unlike ILL, TLS or any TV series released by CBS/Paramount) is that the each season has its own case and each case in housed in one box that fits all of them. 

Thank you for the feedback Harrison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,569
51 minutes ago, mickie said:

well that's really a shame. Already have my DVDs from when they first came out. Thought it might me a nice gift but guess not.

If the package is in good shape, it's a fine presentation. As long as it's packed well and not broken you don't need to worry. It's still a nice gift. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harrison    107
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, mickie said:

Thank you for the feedback Harrison.

You're quite welcome, Mickie! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian Mc    7

This is great but I fear that this might be a very subtle sign of the end of dvd sales of this series -- with dvds now becoming a more boutique sales item with streaming services taking over everywhere, especially with Disney+ in full swing before the end of the year in many places worldwide.

Lucy is pretty much one of the big sellers for Paramount and this might be one last splurge before she becomes one of the figureheads of Paramount's streaming service partners around the world along with Star Trek, Mission Impossible and all the rest as Disney will be using Marvel, Star Wars, all the 20th Century Fox properties they now have -- any thoughts out there in the Lounge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freddie2    867
On August 23, 2019 at 1:43 AM, Brian Mc said:

This is great but I fear that this might be a very subtle sign of the end of dvd sales of this series -- with dvds now becoming a more boutique sales item with streaming services taking over everywhere, especially with Disney+ in full swing before the end of the year in many places worldwide.

Lucy is pretty much one of the big sellers for Paramount and this might be one last splurge before she becomes one of the figureheads of Paramount's streaming service partners around the world along with Star Trek, Mission Impossible and all the rest as Disney will be using Marvel, Star Wars, all the 20th Century Fox properties they now have -- any thoughts out there in the Lounge?

The idea of Lucy's shows prominently streaming is great! Since they're all currently or soon-to-be on DVD, they'll probably always be available to buy online somewhere. "Younger" people rarely watch first-run TV let alone reruns, so streaming is just a new way for the next generation to be exposed to her work. ILL and HL are both available on Hulu and Amazon, and that's how one of my good friends actually discovered the show. Streaming seems to be reaching some kind of new phase, with everyone and their mother starting a subscription service with the titles that they own, and I wonder how it's all going to end up. It's basically turning into cable and I think that in the end not many will be left standing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×