Sign in to follow this  
Harrison

What episodes are you watching of "Life with Lucy"?

5 hours ago, Neil said:

Mid-October front page headline in Enquirer/Globe/One of those  "Cary Grant: Lucy Wants Me to Save Her Show".  Can't remember the story but evidently he was asked.  I wonder how serious this negotiation got.  He died in November 29, 1986.

Interesting. So there was talk of both Cary Grant and Bob Hope appearing. Pity that never happened. 

LUCY: There's Cary Grant!

MARGO: Where!?

56 minutes ago, Mot Morenzi said:

LUCY: There's Cary Grant!

MARGO: Where!?

LUCY: Margo, did I ever tell you about the time Cary Grant asked me to marry him?

• Haha 1

World's Greatest Grandma

I have a hard time watching this one, given the lump it puts in my throat. Though not intentional, it's status as the last sitcom episode Lucille would ever shoot is very poignant in hindsight. The "Sunrise, Sunset" monologue gets me every time. And could there EVER have been a more fitting final line for her to deliver than "Boy, am I a winner!" She was indeed. 

• Sad 1

I've been watching a couple of episodes of "Life with Lucy" this week, and it's really not a terrible show. Especially when you compare it to shows like "Full House," which premiered on ABC the following year.

I know this has been discussed before, but I really think that if Lucy wanted to continue working, her best bet at this point would have been to join an ensemble comedy where she wouldn't have had the burden of carrying the show alone. At the start of 1986, for example, Charlotte Rae had left "The Facts of Life" (which aired opposite "Life with Lucy,") due to health issues, and I think Lucy would have been fine as the new ditzy "house mother" on that show. (I love Cloris Leachman, who ended up taking on the role, but I think any other actress could have done that part.) Also, "Facts" was produced by Norman Lear's production company, and Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf had worked with him on "All in the Family" and other shows, so maybe there could have been a reunion of sorts.

Then again, I don't know if Gary would have gone along with it, since it would have meant less money for him. And although "Facts" was about as family-friendly as you could get, they occasionally handled issues (i.e. premarital sex,) that Lucy might have balked at.  But it's interesting to think about what could have been.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, teenageluminary said:

I've been watching a couple of episodes of "Life with Lucy" this week, and it's really not a terrible show. Especially when you compare it to shows like "Full House," which premiered on ABC the following year.

I know this has been discussed before, but I really think that if Lucy wanted to continue working, her best bet at this point would have been to join an ensemble comedy where she wouldn't have had the burden of carrying the show alone. At the start of 1986, for example, Charlotte Rae had left "The Facts of Life" (which aired opposite "Life with Lucy,") due to health issues, and I think Lucy would have been fine as the new ditzy "house mother" on that show. (I love Cloris Leachman, who ended up taking on the role, but I think any other actress could have done that part.) Also, "Facts" was produced by Norman Lear's production company, and Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf had worked with him on "All in the Family" and other shows, so maybe there could have been a reunion of sorts.

Then again, I don't know if Gary would have gone along with it, since it would have meant less money for him. And although "Facts" was about as family-friendly as you could get, they occasionally handled issues (i.e. premarital sex,) that Lucy might have balked at.  But it's interesting to think about what could have been.

Had Lucille been willing to step more outside the "Lucy" mold, the results could've been fascinating. I think you're absolutely right about Gary being a brick wall to that possibility, however. Lucie Arnaz put it best in her archive interview, where she said that Gary was good for her in so many ways but wasn't the best person to make her career decisions, especially on his own without any second opinions. 

As it is, while Life With Lucy had its issues, there was plenty of room to work with what they had, and the show was already undergoing development and growth. The last four produced were quite a bit stronger than many that preceded them. Had they continued past the initial 13, I'm sure the quality would've continued to improve even more. Plus, as you pointed out, it's far more watchable than many other shows of the era. I'd take Life With Lucy over the likes of Full House any day!

• Like 1

Very interesting compilation of a bunch of intros for other failed comedies of the 80s.    I recognized a few established stars (Brian Dennehy) and a few that went on to great work (Bryan Cranston).  But for the most part, these actors were never heard from again.  Imagine toiling in show business and getting your BIG BREAK, featuring prominently enough in a new network show that your name is in the opening credits....writing all your friends back home (and you know how friends back home can be)....and then a year later, your agent is not returning your calls.   A heart-breaking business: show. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

Very interesting compilation of a bunch of intros for other failed comedies of the 80s.    I recognized a few established stars (Brian Dennehy) and a few that went on to great work (Bryan Cranston).  But for the most part, these actors were never heard from again.  Imagine toiling in show business and getting your BIG BREAK, featuring prominently enough in a new network show that your name is in the opening credits....writing all your friends back home (and you know how friends back home can be)....and then a year later, your agent is not returning your calls.   A heart-breaking business: show. 

Evidence of why the sitcom was declared dead before "Cosby" and "The Golden Girls."  What a pile of drek.  Some of those credits seem like parodies of the early 80s.

This is also evidence that "Life With Lucy" was judged too harshly.

• Like 1

I used to think parodies of 80s sitcom intros were largely exaggerated. I was dead wrong. 

Most of these look like slightly different marketing campaigns for the exact same show.