"Our Miss Brooks" on DVD

I enjoyed watching Our Miss Brooks when it was on ME-TV and the rest of the "Wake-to-Me" programs that came after it (i.e. The Donna Reed Show, Mister Ed and of course, I Love Lucy). I definitely am interested in having this series on DVD. It was nice seeing a younger Gale Gordon in a different non-Lucy role. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my sets today. 

The good news: All 38 Season One episodes are included in this two-volume release... for the first time EVER. And they've all been cleaned up and look pretty good.

The bad news: All the episodes are edited.

Most run between 22:10 and 22:40. The first eight and "Aunt Mattie Boynton" are about a minute longer though, and one episode in Volume II -- "Public Property On Parade," which hasn't been included in the series' syndication package in decades -- runs in the 24-minute range. 

I'm generally pleased. Splitting the season into two separate sets makes it pricey (especially given the edited content), but if we want to see more of this series, and more releases of similar series, this is an effort we have to support. 

• Like 1

Apparently, CBS went back to its original negatives and found they were cut. The company cleaned those up and this is what was shown on Me-TV. 

The edits are unideal. And the split volumes and high cost are modus operandi for CBS' MOD program now. But if you like the show, this is the best you're going to get. 

And I, personally, hope these sell okay so that we get the rest of the series. There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, and they come from Seasons Two and Three, respectively. The fact that the first season's un-syndicated episode was released means it's a possibility that those other two could finally see the light of day, too. 

2 hours ago, upperco said:

Apparently, CBS went back to its original negatives and found they were cut. The company cleaned those up and this is what was shown on Me-TV. 

The edits are unideal. And the split volumes and high cost are modus operandi for CBS' MOD program now. But if you like the show, this is the best you're going to get. 

And I, personally, hope these sell okay so that we get the rest of the series. There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, and they come from Seasons Two and Three, respectively. The fact that the first season's un-syndicated episode was released means it's a possibility that those other two could finally see the light of day, too. 

Ah, back in the day when the original negatives were cut. Such a pity. But nevertheless, if this is what survives, I'm grateful it's getting released at all and will support the releases. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, upperco said:

This seems to be the case with My Three Sons (except most episodes of that series are unedited) as well. The pattern I see is that CBS/Paramount is charging more for their obscure series releases (i.e. Life with Lucy).  I guess that is understandable. But still they could give us more for the price they are charging/asking (i.e. streaming access/digital copy to the series).

At this time, I will be holding off. Life with Lucy was the exception. But with the others I am going to wait.

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to receive both volumes for Christmas. I've only previewed the first episode but it looks terrific, pretty much on par with I Love Lucy...which is fitting, considering who produced the show. Funnily enough, the first episode appears to be based on the first or second radio episode I ever heard, "Arguments." 

I really hope future seasons see releases as well, but 38 episodes is certainly enough to get me started. 

• Like 2

I agree about the picture of Eve on the jacket cover.  Looks more like a face Doris Packer would make.  Yes, the price is very steep.  $70 for the full season!  In Amazon's suggestions based on "frequently bought together", they list the other half of the season and......BEN CASEY, Season 1.  Does the DVD have the original credits and not the abbreviated syndicated version?  I assume, like ILL, the opening originals featured the sponsor prominently.  Also Phillip Morris?  Shots of Walter Denton and the seedier Madison High boys smoking behind the gym?

3 hours ago, Neil said:

Does the DVD have the original credits and not the abbreviated syndicated version?

No, they're the syndicated versions of the credits, with no voiceovers listing the guest stars. Also, unlike the episodes themselves, neither the opening titles nor the end credits seem to have undergone any restoration and are quite rough looking. A minor quibble, though, as the shows themselves look pretty good.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

I assume, like ILL, the opening originals featured the sponsor prominently.  Also Phillip Morris?  Shots of Walter Denton and the seedier Madison High boys smoking behind the gym?

Yes, the sponsor was featured prominently, but it wasn't Philip Morris. The sponsors in the openings I've seen were Kool-Shake, Minute Rice and Jell-O Instant Pudding. Being used to the radio version, it seems bizarre to have any company besides Colgate Palmolive Peet as sponsor. (LOL at the visual of Walter and the seedy boys sneaking smokes behind the gym!)

Here's an example. Personally, I'm not crazy about the childlike cartoon drawing style. Seems more appropriate for a show about an elementary school rather than a high school:

"Little Ricky"?  "Uncle Alberto"??  What series is this??

This may have been covered in previous posts (but I'm lazy): are there an "extras" on the Our Miss Brooks DVDs?   

A local station ran OMB reruns for a time when I was a kid but scheduled it at 9am opposite CBS's weekday rerun of I Love Lucy.  No contest, I'm afraid.   Desilu's involvement in the show has never been completely clear.  It seems to be one of those many MANY shows "filmed at Desilu", but is often referred to as a Desilu production, as is "The Ann Sothern Show".   I'm not altogether sure there were shows produced and owned solely by Desilu (pre-1966 blitz) other than Lucy, The Untouchables, Desilu Playhouse and those various one season (and HALF season in the case of my beloved "Glynis") shows: "Harrigan and Son", "Guestward Ho", "Those Whiting Girls" "Greatest Show"....more?

"There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, "

Any idea why?

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, Neil said:

This may have been covered in previous posts (but I'm lazy): are there an "extras" on the Our Miss Brooks DVDs? 

No, they’re bare bones. Just the episodes. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, Neil said:

"There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, "

Any idea why?

Apparently they weren’t sold into later syndication packages due to music licensing. The Volume 2 DVD mentions that some music has been changed, so the edit must’ve occurred on that non-syndicated episode.

• Like 1