Sign in to follow this  
rickylu

"Our Miss Brooks" on DVD

One can only hope! I know they have been remastered and are ready to go, but we’ve been teased before. 

I enjoyed watching Our Miss Brooks when it was on ME-TV and the rest of the "Wake-to-Me" programs that came after it (i.e. The Donna Reed Show, Mister Ed and of course, I Love Lucy). I definitely am interested in having this series on DVD. It was nice seeing a younger Gale Gordon in a different non-Lucy role. 

I certainly hope this is true. Though what I've seen of the television version doesn't come across as funny as the radio counterpart to me, it'd still be great to see after all these years of hearing about it.

Got my sets today. 

The good news: All 38 Season One episodes are included in this two-volume release... for the first time EVER. And they've all been cleaned up and look pretty good.

The bad news: All the episodes are edited.

Most run between 22:10 and 22:40. The first eight and "Aunt Mattie Boynton" are about a minute longer though, and one episode in Volume II -- "Public Property On Parade," which hasn't been included in the series' syndication package in decades -- runs in the 24-minute range. 

I'm generally pleased. Splitting the season into two separate sets makes it pricey (especially given the edited content), but if we want to see more of this series, and more releases of similar series, this is an effort we have to support. 

• Like 1

I'm disappointed but not surprised that the syndicated versions were used. Those must've been the cleaned up versions they already prepared some time ago. I doubt they considered it worthwhile to remaster all the network originals given the show's niche appeal. I hope they all still survive, though!

• Like 1

Apparently, CBS went back to its original negatives and found they were cut. The company cleaned those up and this is what was shown on Me-TV. 

The edits are unideal. And the split volumes and high cost are modus operandi for CBS' MOD program now. But if you like the show, this is the best you're going to get. 

And I, personally, hope these sell okay so that we get the rest of the series. There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, and they come from Seasons Two and Three, respectively. The fact that the first season's un-syndicated episode was released means it's a possibility that those other two could finally see the light of day, too. 

2 hours ago, upperco said:

Apparently, CBS went back to its original negatives and found they were cut. The company cleaned those up and this is what was shown on Me-TV. 

The edits are unideal. And the split volumes and high cost are modus operandi for CBS' MOD program now. But if you like the show, this is the best you're going to get. 

And I, personally, hope these sell okay so that we get the rest of the series. There are two episodes that haven't been seen since syndication in the early '60s, and they come from Seasons Two and Three, respectively. The fact that the first season's un-syndicated episode was released means it's a possibility that those other two could finally see the light of day, too. 

Ah, back in the day when the original negatives were cut. Such a pity. But nevertheless, if this is what survives, I'm grateful it's getting released at all and will support the releases. 

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, upperco said:

This seems to be the case with My Three Sons (except most episodes of that series are unedited) as well. The pattern I see is that CBS/Paramount is charging more for their obscure series releases (i.e. Life with Lucy).  I guess that is understandable. But still they could give us more for the price they are charging/asking (i.e. streaming access/digital copy to the series).

At this time, I will be holding off. Life with Lucy was the exception. But with the others I am going to wait.