LucyFest 2020

Brock

From the Comedy Center:

The National Comedy Center, the nation’s official museum and cultural institution dedicated to comedy, announced today that comedian Jeff Foxworthy, and Saturday Night Live legends David Spade, Rob Schneider and Kevin Nealon will perform during the 30th annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, August 5-9, 2020.

Tickets for these shows, along with many other festival comedy events, will go on pre-sale for National Comedy Center members only – starting Tuesday, February 25 at noon ET at www.ComedyCenter.org. Public on-sale date will be Tuesday, March 3 at noon ET.

Late night comedy shows, Lucy legacy events and a kids comedy show will also go on sale at that time with additional festival events to be announced in the coming months, in a lineup that will celebrate comedy’s contemporary stars, rising voices, and historic legacies.

Jeff Foxworthy, the largest-selling comedian of all time with more than 13 million albums sold, will be performing on Friday, August 7.

Foxworthy is one of the most respected and successful comedians in the country, a multiple Grammy Award nominee and a best-selling author of 26 books. Widely known for his redneck jokes, his act goes well beyond that to explore the humor in everyday family interactions and human nature, with a style that has been compared to Mark Twain’s.

The Lucille Ball Comedy Festival will mark the 45th anniversary of Saturday Night Live this year with three of SNL’s most popular performers: David Spade, Rob Schneider and Kevin Nealon. The “Legends of SNL” show will take place on Saturday, August 8, as the National Comedy Center reunites these comedic talents on stage for an extraordinary stand-up comedy show.

David Spade, Rob Schneider and Kevin Nealon were all part of the cast and writing team of SNL during a pivotal era for the NBC show in the 1990’s. Each of them created memorable and beloved characters throughout their run on the show, and each were nominated for Emmy awards as part of the SNL writing team.

Both Foxworthy’s performance on August 7 and the Legends of SNL show on August 8 will be held in Jamestown’s Northwest Arena, adjacent to the National Comedy Center complex.

“The National Comedy Center is pleased to welcome the largest-selling comedian of all time – Jeff Foxworthy — to Jamestown for the 30th anniversary of the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, and to reunite three of the greatest SNL cast members on stage for an unprecedented night of comedy,” stated Journey Gunderson, National Comedy Center Executive Director.

To become a National Comedy Center member in order to gain first access to available seats during the pre-sale ticket window, visit ComedyCenter.org/membership or call the National Comedy Center at 716.484.2222. Memberships start at $50 and provide benefits including a full year “season pass” for visiting the acclaimed National Comedy Center in Jamestown, New York.

“This Lucille Ball Comedy Festival will once again offer great comedy for everyone, from stand-up comedy’s biggest stars to the best rising talent, to panel discussions on the art of comedy,” stated Malachi Livermore, the National Comedy Center’s Director of Programming and Guest Experiences. “And we’ve got much more to announce in the coming months.”

The acclaimed National Comedy Center and the Lucy Desi Museum are available for tour experiences throughout the festival, with new exhibits and new artifacts debuting at both museums this spring and summer.

David Spade is currently the host of Comedy Central’s late night show “Lights Out with David Spade.” He was nominated for an Emmy and Golden Globe Award for his memorable role in the popular TV comedy “Just Shoot Me” and co-starred with SNL’s Chris Farley in the feature films “Tommy Boy” and “Blacksheep.” Spade continues to appear in feature films and make guest appearances on television. He has several well-received stand-up comedy specials, including the 2014 Comedy Center special “David Spade: My Fake Problems.”

Rob Schneider has starred in some of the biggest comedy feature films of the past 20 years, including “Grown Ups,” “Waterboy, and “Big Daddy.”  He also starred the movie “Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo” and created and starred in the Netflix docu-series “Real Rob,” which focuses on the day-to-day hijinks of Rob’s life.

Kevin Nealon was one of the longest-running cast members in SNL history. He has received critical acclaim for his role in the Showtime series “Weeds,” and currently stars on the CBS comedy “Man with a Plan” and produces and hosts the digital series “Hiking with Kevin.” His extensive film career includes “Anger Management,” Eight Crazy Nights,” “The Wedding Singer” and “Happy Gilmore.”

The Lucille Ball Comedy Festival is presented by the National Comedy Center and embodies Lucille Ball’s vision for her hometown, Jamestown, New York, to be a destination for the celebration of the comedic arts and to showcase new comedic talent from around the country. The festival attracts over 15,000 attendees annually from nearly every state in the country, who come together to share laughter while honoring the craft and contributors on stage at dozens of venues throughout Jamestown, including the National Comedy Center and the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum.

Last year’s Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, which featured comedians Sebastian Maniscalco and John Mulaney, was the largest festival in its history. In 2018, the festival celebrated the grand opening of the National Comedy Center and featured Amy Schumer, Lily Tomlin and a panel of original “Saturday Night Live” performers and writers including Dan Aykroyd, Laraine Newman and Alan Zweibel.

Now in its 30th year, the festival has featured comedy’s greatest stars and rising young comedians, including Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen DeGeneres, Trevor Noah, Lily Tomlin, Jay Leno, Amy Schumer, Brian Regan, Lewis Black, W. Kamau Bell, Jim Gaffigan, Paula Poundstone, Dan Aykroyd, Joan Rivers, Bob Newhart, the Smothers Brothers and more than one hundred other comedic artists.

51 minutes ago, Brock said:

Well, I’ll be saving my money on these headliners. I hope the balance of the yet-announced events will be more...universally appealing. 

That's pretty much what I said too. I somehow see Foxworthy going over very big in Jamestown. 

I didn't realize this was the 30th anniversary of the festival. If they were smart they could do a really great retrospective event of past festivals. Maybe we will just have to make our own. I have video and photos!!

1 minute ago, Luvsbway said:

That's pretty much what I said too. I somehow see Foxworthy going over very big in Jamestown. 

Yup, and I’m personally not in the mood to sit on an uncomfortable arena seat amid a sea of baseball caps of questionable colour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow they've really lowered the bar this year as far as garnering "top talent"!  Not that all these guys haven't had long, relatively successful careers but none of them are exactly my..."cup of tea"...although I'll cop to occasionally watching Spade's late night show recently due to it's "freewheeling" nature and that it nightly features other comics in a very uninhibited format.

Speaking of the guys...where are the women who should be here representing? Whether someone young and "fresh' or more seasoned, they couldn't have included a female comic?? Hmmm.... a little weird and definitely disappointing, IMHO.

4 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Wow they've really lowered the bar this year as far as garnering "top talent"!  Not that all these guys haven't had long, relatively successful careers but none of them are exactly my..."cup of tea"...although I'll cop to occasionally watching Spade's late night show recently due to it's "freewheeling" nature and that it nightly features other comics in a very uninhibited format.

Speaking of the guys...where are the women who should be here representing? Whether someone young and "fresh' or more seasoned, they couldn't have included a female comic?? Hmmm.... a little weird and definitely disappointing, IMHO.

They have earlier in the festival a showcase of different comics and that always has women and they do late night comics in the Tropicana Room, where they have women as well. But you do make a good point. This is the second year in a row that the Friday night and Saturday night shows are men. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brock said:

While it is great we're having programming related to the milestone anniversaries of Desilu and Wildcat, it is a little disappointing that these events are strictly limited to Tropicana Room lunches and dinners. 

Which means that there are no other special guest seminar lunches.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:17 PM, Luvsbway said:

They have earlier in the festival a showcase of different comics and that always has women and they do late night comics in the Tropicana Room, where they have women as well. But you do make a good point. This is the second year in a row that the Friday night and Saturday night shows are men. 

...and not exactly "top draw" men at that! IMHO, of course 😋

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Looks like entire festival got moved again to 2022. All the things that were on the schedule for 2021 now have 2022 on them.

Due to the status of COVID-19 health and safety concerns for indoor, large-group events and arena performances, and the existing restrictions relative to these events, the shows scheduled for the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival this summer will be rescheduled for the same weekend in 2022: August 3-7, 2022, in order to ensure the health and safety of festival attendees, staff and volunteers. Current festival ticket holders will have their tickets transferred automatically to the same shows and events for the 2022 festival, unless they choose a different option. Learn more about these options at ComedyCenter.org/TicketForm. A new schedule of festival events for 2021 is available at ComedyCenter.org/Festival.

Those wishing to purchase new tickets for 2022 festival events, including Jeff Foxworthy and Legends of SNL, without holding existing tickets for 2021, can do so by visiting ComedyCenter.org/Festival beginning Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at noon ET.

In lieu of an indoor festival this August, the National Comedy Center is proud to announce its “Summer Fun Weeks” featuring “Riverside Saturdays” with FREE movies, bands, family comedy shows and more June 20-August 7.  See the full list of events at ComedyCenter.org/SummerFun. 

We appreciate your patience, support, and understanding — and look forward to laughing with you again soon!