Movies Question

I appreciate Lucille Ball as an actress but am obsessed with her sitcom “Lucy” character.  I bought The Long, Long Trailer quite some time ago.  I recently watched The Fuller Brush Girl and will get it on dvd too. Do you guys have any suggestions for her movies that capture the “sitcom Lucy”?

1 hour ago, rspeterson3 said:

I appreciate Lucille Ball as an actress but am obsessed with her sitcom “Lucy” character.  I bought The Long, Long Trailer quite some time ago.  I recently watched The Fuller Brush Girl and will get it on dvd too. Do you guys have any suggestions for her movies that capture the “sitcom Lucy”?

Miss Grant Takes Richmond has elements. Yours, Mine and Ours as well. Forever Darling was done in the 50s with Desi but it really isn't until the end camping you see TV Lucy. 

• Like 1

You've hit on the two that were closest.   The others that come to mind would be her surprise 1968 hit "Yours Mine and Ours"' and "Miss Grant Takes Richmond" "Forever Darling" and "Easy to Wed".    People generally don't think "Forever" compares with "Long Trailer" but I think it does.  I would include "Mame" but I can no longer be objective about the movie.  The opinions seem to be extreme on both ends of the hate/love spectrum.  But it does have a few great Lucy-esque scenes: mounting the moon, the fox hunt and roller skating through Macy's.  And she's excellent in the big Mame number. 

She's very good in "Facts of Life" and "Critic's Choice" but these are departures from her Lucy character and they're essentially Bob Hope movies WITH Lucille Ball.   Lucy is truly wonderful in "Choice".  Beautifully made up, coiffed and wonderfully outfitted by Edith Head in regal color (as "Facts of Life" SHOULD have been), she never looked better on screen.  She's the only reason to watch it.   But there's too much Bob and not enough Lucy.  This was probably Bob's last movie for sophisticated audiences (his slapstick scenes, not ever his forte, bring the movie down a few notches on the sophisticated scale----and just NOT funny).  "Choice" had been a Broadway play about putting on a Broadway play and was too in-jokey for mass appeal.   I assume SOMEONE was going to Bob's later 60s movies because he kept cranking them out, even though they were horrible and Bob just walked through them, showing less and less of the spark that made him a movie star in the 40s.  My guess is this was part of an NBC contract that stipulated that these movies be made regardless of the outcome.  (my GUESS...)  His TV specials were still very highly rated well into the 70s.   It's surprising that he was never an official guest star on TLS or HL.  He ruins the Lucille Ball Comedy Hour with his cue card reading.  Since it was filmed without an audience, there's no excuse for that. 

Lucy movies: don't bother with "Magic Carpet" (1951) except for the pure camp quality * and some reference for the wonderful Columbia/Harry Cohn story.  Another nertz goes to  "Two Smart People" notable only for Lucy's line "that's the best canard sauvage I've ever tasted."  She has great bits in several other movies "Dubarry Was a Lady",  "Fancy Pants", but again that too is Bob's movie.   I've never seen "Sorrowful Jones" but people say she's good in that.  "Without Love" is worth a look.     *Magic Carpet" nadir: kissing corpulent villain Raymond Burr. 

• Like 1

I agree Miss Grant Takes Richmond should be your next choice.   That's hilarious.    She is not in all of Easy to Wed but their are hilarious scenes.   Of what I've seen Room Service is the worst movie she's wasted and it's not that funny.   I also don't like Bob Hope 

• Like 2