A Trip Down Nick-at-Nite Memory Lane

Came across the following videos on YouTube, couldn't help but feel overly nostalgic.

2/25-26/1995 Nick @ Nite Commercial MEGABLOCK!

featuring the "Lucy, the Queen of Comedy" Block plus more Nick-at-Nite promos/ads/bumpers

2:24-2:33 (10 seconds) Nick-at-Nite bumper

2:34-2:43 (10 seconds)  "First up on Nick-at-Nite: it's I Love Lucy, followed by The Lucy Show and The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour .....enjoy the long-lasting freshness of Nick-at-Nite" ad

2:44-2:50 (6 seconds) I Love Lucy Episode #40 "The Saxophone" Title Card

6:40-6:49 (10 seconds) "Queen of Comedy" Ad (featuring your nose-on-fire LUCY)

10:18 - 10:48 (30 seconds) "Why We Watch with Dr. Bill Miller", topic: "Lucy's trademark exclamation is WAAAHH" ("Lucy Show" ad) 

12:51 - 13:05 (14 seconds) "Very, Very Ted & Georgette" ("Mary Tyler Moore Show" ad)

13:06 - 13:36 (30 seconds) "There's Nothing Like a Good Cry (Nick-at-Nite ad)

15:37 - 15:48 (10 seconds) Nick-at-Nite ad

15:49 - 15:58 (10 seconds) Coming Up Next: "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour"

15:59 - 16:09 (10 seconds) "Queen of Comedy" Ad (featuring LUCY, your vitameatavegamin girl!)

22:30 - 22:39 (10 seconds)   Nick-at-Nite bumper

22:40 - 22:54 (15 seconds) "The Lucy-Comedy Hour" ad

22:55 - 23:09 (15 seconds) "Very, Very Ted & Georgette" ("Mary Tyler Moore Show" ad) - repeat

25:11 - 25:20 (10 seconds) "Queen of Comedy" Ad (featuring your nose-on-fire LUCY) - repeat

29:36 - 29:46 (11 seconds) Nick-at-Nite bumper

29:47 - 29:56 (10 seconds) Coming Up Next: "The White Shadow"

29:57 - 30:26 (30 seconds)  "Brady: An American Chronical" ad

and more ....

7:36-7:45 (10 seconds) - Lucy Show ad (preserving our television heritage)

Nick-at-Nite Loves Lucy Promo (30 seconds)

Plethora of LUCY ads!!!! NICK-AT-NITE LOVES LUCY MARATHON!!!!

Nick at Nite was at its best in the early to mid 90s, in my opinion. They had a nice library of classic programs, creative promos, and imaginative marathons.

My favorite Lucy marathon they ever did was when they had a weeklong event where they showed I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show, but also a couple episodes of Here's Lucy and the first episode of Life with Lucy, AND Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie! 25 years later and we could recreate that thanks to DVDs.

1 hour ago, rickylu said:

My favorite Lucy marathon they ever did was when they had a weeklong event where they showed I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show, but also a couple episodes of Here's Lucy and the first episode of Life with Lucy, AND Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie! 25 years later and we could recreate that thanks to DVDs.

I recorded that whole week, especially Life With Lucy.

Oh those were the days!

When cable first started in the early 80s, CBN (the Christian Broadcasting Network) had an evening of Burns and Allen, I Married Joan, Jack Benny, My Little Margie and more.  The prints were scratchy and threadbare 16mm's but still,  it was interesting to see these shows.  Then NickAtNite came along and gave us the real classics along with special programming: one-season forgotten shows restored.  I remember that they showed  "Wendy & Me", George Burn's 1964 ABC comedy that ran opposite The Lucy Show.  Started strong in the ratings,  but was cancelled after one season.  Connie Stevens tried valiantly to make her Gracie Allen character work.  Like there's only one Lucy, there was only one Gracie.  (I don't know why Gracie Allen is not more revered.)  To my knowledge "Wendy"  was the one and only time another network tried to run a sitcom against any of Lucy's series until "The Facts of Life" in 1986.   I can only assume TFOL was a comedy by the laughter.  Otherwise I would have no way of knowing.

But I appreciated NatN's efforts.   Like showing "The Ann Sothern Show" and then "Private Secretary" which just cemented my opinion of Ann Sothern.  It's one thing to have a great vehicle and great writers like Lucy.  It's quite another to have neither and make a success of two series based SOLELY on your charm.   But then NickAtNite went in another direction and begat TV Land which in turn went another direction.   Oh well, it was all great while it lasted.  A special shout-out to the Game Show Network and their "black and white Sundays" with a full day of old game shows:  What's My Line, To Tell the Truth, I've Got a Secret and obscure shows like "The Name's the Same".   I had no idea these were saved by anyone.  They even had a "From our Vault" series where they'd show old game show clips with a theme.    Thanks to GSN, I have practically the entire What's My Line series on DVD.    But evidently there's no interest  now.  There's now MeTV and Antenna TV and they'd better stick to the classics and not go all Full House on me.   I loved Decades but for some reason, my cable no longer carries it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Like showing "The Ann Sothern Show" and then "Private Secretary" which just cemented my opinion of Ann Sothern.  It's one thing to have a great vehicle and great writers like Lucy.  

Ann was a great vehicle in My Mother, the Car.

Nick at Nite had great promos. I loved that before most of their shows that would name the episode title, the episode number, and a fun fact or moment relating to the episode. 

• Haha 1

2 un-produced My Mother the Car episodes, prohibited by the network censor:

"After Mother's headlights get a gander at the taut Roadster owned by Gene Hibbs, she badgers son Dave to pay for liposuction on her rumble seat.  While in the shop for an estimate, she spies Hibbs' Roadster up on blocks and discovers it's all a cosmetic facade, done with bungie cables temporarily lifting the old jalopy's tired suspension.   Guest cast:  Hibbs: RG Brown.  Mechanic: Jay Novello.  Voice of Hibbs' Roadster: Selma Diamond ."

"When Mom's tail pipe starts leaking oil, the scent revs up the engine of the hot rod next door.  Months later, the jig is up when a litter of kiddie cars pops out of Mom's trunk and she has to admit to her son Dave that she and the hot rod did indeed lock bumpers.   It's an embarrassing uphill battle when Mother forces Dave to take the neighbor to court demanding car-support payments.  Hot rod owner: Roger C. Carmel.  Judge: Parley Baer.  Bailiff: Joseph Mell.  Voice of Hot Rod: Brian Cutler. "

Yes, "My Mother the Car" WAS a series and THIRTY episodes were produced.   Can you imagine the meeting where the creators pitched this to the network?   Then it was PICKED UP??   I mean, how many plots could there be?

• Haha 1