The Ever-Lovely Doris Singleton

I believe other than Lillian and Carolyn, the third one was Clara - on the Red Skelton Show.

Didn't Vivian also play that role?

That's right! Isn't it funny that she played another Appleby on another show?

I don't know if Viv played the role too.

I believe other than Lillian and Carolyn, the third one was Clara - on the Red Skelton Show.

Didn't Vivian also play that role?

Vivian played Clara Appleby, 5 times, 1960-64; Doris played Clara Appleby 1 time, 1965; another role in Red's show, as another character.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know why but I got a hankering to watch "Baby Pictures", a stellar episode in every way.  Nothing against Desi's musical segments, but this one at the end drags this episode down from the classic it is throughout the rest of the show.   It's never mentioned in anyone's "top 10".   It's one of Doris Singleton's greatest performances.  Two instances in particular:  1) the way she pronounces "GLUTTON" in "I just hope that glutton of yours hasn't taught little Stevie any bad habits" and her expert body language when she delivers the line "He outgrew that, didn't he?".   Has there ever been an episode where an occasional player has gotten that much solo screen time?  Carolyn doing a mad dash cleaning up the apartment when Lucy's on her way up.   Next to Mrs. McGillicuddy, Carolyn Appleby is the most valuable/underutilized supporting player of the series.  (Counting "Japan",  both Doris and Kathryn appeared in the same # of episodes: 10, so says imdb).  The other episode on the disc "Lucy Tells the Truth" is also great.  For the bridge club scene alone, it's one of my favorites.   All four actresses at the top of their game and a script that gives them so much to work with.  Shirley Mitchell made such an impression that it seems like her character appears in more than 3 eps.   But isn't "It's a 3-ring circus" a lie?  They all act like Lucy claiming she speaks Italian is the bet-winning lie.  

It's easy to see why I Love Lucy remained the #1 show on TV throughout its run. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
30 minutes ago, Benno123 said:

In the video attached to this article at approx 1:45 I believe that is Doris Singleton speaking about how TV works.  Am I correct?

https://abc7.com/society/socal-history-a-look-back-at-moments-that-defined-tv/5799939/

Looks like her, but that is Lucy’s friend Betty Furness, longtime spokesperson for Westinghouse.