Lucy Day at World's Fair 1964

Firstly, HELLO! I'm back! It's wonderful to post on here again. 

I recently fell into the internet hole of Lucy Day at The New York World's Fair in 1964.

As we know, Lucy had a schedule of where she had to be during the festivities. But, there was a point in the day where Lucy and Hedda "Hooper" went to the Hollywood Pavilion exhibit to put their handprints in cement in front of their replica of the Grauman's Chinese Theater at the fair.

So, I figured I needed to come talk to my fellow Lucy experts and ask the question, did someone pull a Lucy and Ethel and grab that cement slab? Or is it hiding under the Grandstand Stadium built in 1978?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm also fascinated with "Lucy Day".  What a schedule they put her through!  She held up under the oppressive humidity and heat, so humid that despite the heat it rained at one time.  Thanks to the bonus material on one of the DVDs (Here's Lucy?) we got to see all the footage they could find.   And yeah, where IS that slab of cement now?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, Neil said:

I'm also fascinated with "Lucy Day".  What a schedule they put her through!  She held up under the oppressive humidity and heat, so humid that despite the heat it rained at one time.  Thanks to the bonus material on one of the DVDs (Here's Lucy?) we got to see all the footage they could find.   And yeah, where IS that slab of cement now?

She really had such an intense schedule that day. But I’m sure it was such a blast to experience that day. Plus seeing the color photos of her outfit! She looked stunning. 

I would really love to go back to NYC and just walk the grounds. There’s some remnants and it would be just incredible to walk through and imagine that day back when. I guess there’s little historical markers talking about that day throughout the park. Including one about Lucy.

In Wisconsin we actually have the SC Johnson Wax’s pavilion structure that was at the World’s Fair built into the SC Johnson Wax Headquarters in Racine, WI. They still play the film they showed at the World Fair regularly within it. It’s such a unique structure, along with such a beautiful building. The actual building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, but the pavilion was designed by someone else. 

But back to the Lucy hands, I even checked if the museum close to that location with the World’s Fair exhibit had it, but alas, they don’t. 

I really wonder what happened to it. Probably destroyed and under that stadium. 

I can't get my photo bucket app to work anymore.  Otherwise I'd be posting pictures.

Lucy Day footprint related: The John Wayne shows are two of my favorites.   About as overtly larcenous as Lucy ever got.  And contains my favorite Ethel/Fred exchange.  Fred (focusing camera) Ethel, look at me and smile.  Ethel: Make up your mind. I can't do both. 

Walking the grounds is on my borughs of NYC to do list. Some stuff is still there like the Unisaphere and the New York Pavillion they are trying to restore. I also want to check out the Queens museum which is in Flushing Park. 

My mom spent a summer going to the fair when she was visiting her cousins and I saw her slides. Sadly she did not go on Lucy Day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, Luvsbway said:

Walking the grounds is on my borughs of NYC to do list. Some stuff is still there like the Unisaphere and the New York Pavillion they are trying to restore. I also want to check out the Queens museum which is in Flushing Park. 

My mom spent a summer going to the fair when she was visiting her cousins and I saw her slides. Sadly she did not go on Lucy Day.

Yes! That’s the museum I looked into to see what they had there. There’s so many articles out here showing what’s still left there. It would be awesome to take a walk through to see it and embrace that history. This was an article that I thought was really cool when I was looking into the Lucy handprints. 

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2013/2/6/what-remains-of-the-1964-65-new-york-worlds-fair.html

On 2/12/2021 at 2:11 PM, Neil said:

I can't get my photo bucket app to work anymore.  Otherwise I'd be posting pictures.

Lucy Day footprint related: The John Wayne shows are two of my favorites.   About as overtly larcenous as Lucy ever got.  And contains my favorite Ethel/Fred exchange.  Fred (focusing camera) Ethel, look at me and smile.  Ethel: Make up your mind. I can't do both. 

Yes! The John Wayne footprints saga was one of my favorite Lucy moments. Also great to see Fred being involved with part of the shenanigans.