The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

http://www.usatoday.com/story/experience/weekend/entertainment/2014/11/06/catching-up-with-carol-burnett/18610741/

Last paragraph says we are getting more shows released. These are the Lucy ones. Let's hope this really happens.

YES! If this is accurate, then the legal wrangling over the rights etc. to this unreleased (to date) product must finally be resolved so hooray!! We may just get these earliest episodes yet! Woohoo! :peachonthebeach:

Yes, I saw Carol about 2 weeks ago as she came in for a Saturday matinee around 12:30pm. Apparently she was walking down the street from Broadway and she entered thru that other door (the only closest to Bdway instead of the stage door (closer to 8th avenue). we barely saw her go in but she did agree to sign autographs from inside (where you could not see her but she did sign for everyone). As she said going in she would sign whatever you have for her but no photos. Not sure if she signs or take pics after the performances. She signed one of my DVD collections.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Idk if this has been brought up yet, but those wonderful brilliant folks at StarVista/TimeLife who also brought us Mama's Family, have also announced that THE FIRST FIVE SEASONS OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW WILL BE RELEASED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!!! Carol has confirmed this herself and I'm beyond excited. I don't usually spring for huge sets like this will surely be, but this is something very special, as these haven't been seen since they originally aired. Carol herself recently confirmed the news, and yes, this will include Lucy's four (?) appearances on the show. The only one of which I've ever seen is the fighting rent a car agents at the airport.

Idk if this has been brought up yet, but those wonderful brilliant folks at StarVista/TimeLife who also brought us Mama's Family, have also announced that THE FIRST FIVE SEASONS OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW WILL BE RELEASED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!!! Carol has confirmed this herself and I'm beyond excited. I don't usually spring for huge sets like this will surely be, but this is something very special, as these haven't been seen since they originally aired. Carol herself recently confirmed the news, and yes, this will include Lucy's four (?) appearances on the show. The only one of which I've ever seen is the fighting rent a car agents at the airport.

O M G we'll finally get to see Lucy's appearances on her show?????  Thank the good Lord and thanks to you for telling us about it.

• Like 1

Carol Burnett big numbers with Lucy:
Season 1: "The Boys in the Backroom/Belly up to the Bar, Boys" (or "Belly Up to the Backroom Bar, Boys")
Season 2: "A Good Man is Hard to Find" in which Lucy is Catherine the Great
Season 3: The Rock Sisters
Season 4: Parody of "Some Like it Hot". Lucy and Carol sing "Poof" (a perfume their selling) and "Miss Underworld".

Always found it odd that season 4 of Carol and Season 3 of HL. the 70-71 season was the last time either guested on
each others shows.

For all our fond rememberences of "The Carol Burnett Show", the Emmy voters didn't like it as much.
True, it was nominated for Best Variety Series each of its 11 years and won 3 times, but it seems like if they
could give it to ANYTHING else, they would, included two canceled series "Van Dyke and Company" "Julie Andrews Hour"
and the syndicated "Muppets", "Laugh In" (twice)and the first seasons of "Flip Wilson" and "Saturday Night Live".
Its first win was for the 4th season with the only real competition being the 2nd year of "flip".
One year there was only "sonney and Cher"(people seemed to like it, but Emmy-worthy? I don't think so)
and "the Tonight Show", hardly the same category.
Another year she won, there was only one other nominee "Cher"'s solo series which had started mid-year and was canceled the next.

Maybe I'm just thinking of a handful of sketches, but I remember the humor of a lot of "Carol Burnett" segments being a bit
risque and a little on the smarmy side.  Maybe that was just the early years.  By the time of "Family", it didn't seem like they stooped

to that level of humor as much.

Speaking of risque, I did not get this joke at the time. In "Gym Musical" when "teachers" Carol and Lucy
are thinking of moonlighting, one of them says "But what could we do at night?" and the audience laughs a bit too knowingly.
Is "hookers" the first thing that would come to everybody's minds in 1969 if a woman wanted to get a job at night?

Carol Burnett big numbers with Lucy:

Season 1: "The Boys in the Backroom/Belly up to the Bar, Boys" (or "Belly Up to the Backroom Bar, Boys")

Season 2: "A Good Man is Hard to Find" in which Lucy is Catherine the Great

Season 3: The Rock Sisters

Season 4: Parody of "Some Like it Hot". Lucy and Carol sing "Poof" (a perfume their selling) and "Miss Underworld".

Always found it odd that season 4 of Carol and Season 3 of HL. the 70-71 season was the last time either guested on

each others shows.

For all our fond rememberences of "The Carol Burnett Show", the Emmy voters didn't like it as much.

True, it was nominated for Best Variety Series each of its 11 years and won 3 times, but it seems like if they

could give it to ANYTHING else, they would, included two canceled series "Van Dyke and Company" "Julie Andrews Hour"

and the syndicated "Muppets", "Laugh In" (twice)and the first seasons of "Flip Wilson" and "Saturday Night Live".

Its first win was for the 4th season with the only real competition being the 2nd year of "flip".

One year there was only "sonney and Cher"(people seemed to like it, but Emmy-worthy? I don't think so)

and "the Tonight Show", hardly the same category.

Another year she won, there was only one other nominee "Cher"'s solo series which had started mid-year and was canceled the next.

Maybe I'm just thinking of a handful of sketches, but I remember the humor of a lot of "Carol Burnett" segments being a bit

risque and a little on the smarmy side.  Maybe that was just the early years.  By the time of "Family", it didn't seem like they stooped

to that level of humor as much.

Speaking of risque, I did not get this joke at the time. In "Gym Musical" when "teachers" Carol and Lucy

are thinking of moonlighting, one of them says "But what could we do at night?" and the audience laughs a bit too knowingly.

Is "hookers" the first thing that would come to everybody's minds in 1969 if a woman wanted to get a job at night?

Geez, more info in that post than in the last twenty i read.  Thanks,. just love your observations.

Have they announced a date of the release?  Are they going to be a set or individual episodes?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess EVERYONE had their own "Life with Lucy".  Andy Griffith had "Headmaster/NEW Andy Griffith Show", Jackie Gleason had "You're in the Picture", George Burns "Wendy and Me"; Milton Berle "Jackpot Bowling" (probably the biggest slap in the face to any early TV legend); Mary had FOUR "Mary" (variety) "Mary" (sitcom), "Mary Tyler Moore Hour" "Annie Macguire".  Dick Van Dyke had his variety series and his 80s sitcom paired with "Annie".  "The NEW Dick Van Dyke Show" was a middling success: 3 seasons and Phil Silvers's series TV career ended with "The NEW PS Show".  Imogene Coca "It's About Time"; Sid Caesar's alternating ABC series in 1963.  

But I'd completely forgotten that Carol brought back "The Carol Burnett Show" to CBS in 1991 and it ran about as long as LWL.   I don't remember there being the fanfare about this like there was about LWL.   For some reason, it did not debut until November 1st.  Was this a year of a delayed season because of a strike?   It was gone at the end of December.    It was on Friday nights which was ABC's comedy block night at the time.  The entire CBS  Friday night line up was gone by the next season.   One wonders what CBS was thinking since the variety show format was dead.   If my math is correct, Carol was 58 in 1991. 

Carol had fared a little better with the earlier "Carol and Company", the NBC comedy anthology series which was at least renewed after its mid-season debut.

Did anyone see Carol's CBS variety comeback show?

• Like 1

I guess EVERYONE had their own "Life with Lucy".  Andy Griffith had "Headmaster/NEW Andy Griffith Show", Jackie Gleason had "You're in the Picture", George Burns "Wendy and Me"; Milton Berle "Jackpot Bowling" (probably the biggest slap in the face to any early TV legend); Mary had FOUR "Mary" (variety) "Mary" (sitcom), "Mary Tyler Moore Hour" "Annie Macguire".  Dick Van Dyke had his variety series and his 80s sitcom paired with "Annie".  "The NEW Dick Van Dyke Show" was a middling success: 3 seasons and Phil Silvers's series TV career ended with "The NEW PS Show".  Imogene Coca "It's About Time"; Sid Caesar's alternating ABC series in 1963.  

But I'd completely forgotten that Carol brought back "The Carol Burnett Show" to CBS in 1991 and it ran about as long as LWL.   I don't remember there being the fanfare about this like there was about LWL.   For some reason, it did not debut until November 1st.  Was this a year of a delayed season because of a strike?   It was gone at the end of December.    It was on Friday nights which was ABC's comedy block night at the time.  The entire CBS  Friday night line up was gone by the next season.   One wonders what CBS was thinking since the variety show format was dead.   If my math is correct, Carol was 58 in 1991. 

Carol had fared a little better with the earlier "Carol and Company", the NBC comedy anthology series which was at least renewed after its mid-season debut.

Did anyone see Carol's CBS variety comeback show?

Yup. Can't say it was very memorable though....not to state the obvious! :HALKING:

I think I remember this Carol show. Or was their one after it around the mid 90s. I think it was 30 min but I could be totally wrong.

There were 2.  Almost back to back. The NBC comedy anthology was a half four.  The CBS variety show as the old hour format. 

I think the NBC show was Saturday at 10, sort of an odd time slot.

• 2 weeks later...