The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

Just read on FB that indeed it was diminutive singer/songwriter Paul Williams, sounds like from that other book about TCBS which just came out recently too.  Sorry to hear this as I would have expected more from this talented writer for some reason, not that I know much about him, other than he's written a few of my favorite Carpenters songs! 

Will never understand why people in such a position of opportunity and good fortune -- and the chance to work with such superlative talents! -- feel it's okay to behave like spoiled children.  Oh what I wouldn't give to trade places with some of the ingrates!! :blink:

Just read on FB that indeed it was diminutive singer/songwriter Paul Williams, sounds like from that other book about TCBS which just came out recently too.  Sorry to hear this as I would have expected more from this talented writer for some reason, not that I know much about him, other than he's written a few of my favorite Carpenters songs! 

Will never understand why people in such a position of opportunity and good fortune -- and the chance to work with such superlative talents! -- feel it's okay to behave like spoiled children.  Oh what I wouldn't give to trade places with some of the ingrates!! :blink:

Don't want to insult ANYONE - honest; only if THEY DESERVE IT; then, those are probably too self-absorbed to 'get it'; but, have a DAILY THOUGHT [no year, sorry! many, though] Bruce Barton, American advertising executive (1886-1967) - on my desk all the time:  [Here goes: .................

Conceit is God's gift to little men!!!!!!!

I found this in our local Post-Journal many years ago; just AFTER I had met one - and HE was a dandy!

Again, NO INSULT INTENDED to anyone; just this ONE PERSON I met many years ago!!!!!  Many since, giving the quote some credence! :D 

JK :fabrary: 

From the After show of Watch What Happens.

Carol talks about making out with Julie Andrews.

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-13/episode-147/videos/carol-julie-andrews-friendship

Carol halfway through tells the Lucy "balls" story.

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-13/episode-147/videos/after-show-carol-on-celebrity-parodies

Carol popped in as a surprise cameo guest in the last half of Harry today!!

But rather than "milk" her appearance after her brief brisket tasting, and actually talk to her after going to commercial, when it returned she was already gone and they continued on with a lame taped piece they could certainly have rescheduled for later! What a wasted opportunity -- she didn't even get to plug her book!!! :blink:

Been a bus trip last couple days; off-line; so, was looking for THAT question I need answered; maybe another time someone will ask it and GET AN ANSWER....  NUTS!  I was really looking forward to that possibility THIS time, from the 5th row!!!! 

I never got to ask a question. At first, she answered questions from the mezzanine then began asking from the orchestra. I wanted to ask her about any guests she could not get on her show for any reason but that question was asked by someone else before me. She was only on for about 80 minutes and showed clips in between. It went really fast. It was over by 9:45 and after I took some video of her taking her bows, I looked at all the text messages on my phone. Apparently at 8:30pm, there was an explosion down the block from my house - yes it was that terrorist attack in NYC. Went home after that, which was fine although I found out our building shook and it was really LOUD. Streets were closed for about 2 days. Her show was good but short.

Thanks, Mickie; at least you got to see her;  AND....

more importantly, happy your neighborhood escaped the NYC nightmare; and your home is safe. :fabrary:

Thanks and yes, it is, I can only imagine what if I had walking down that street coming from a store or something, which I have done before but then it can happen anywhere at anytime. It was fun to see her.

• 2 weeks later...

He said he has heard hard to work with big name stars.  The interview was in 1974 don't know if this was before Lucy's Mame one on his show but might explain how she seemed more uneasy around him.

Maybe that explains why she had her back half-turned to him? Always thought that was rather...odd; don't remember her doing that to any other interviewer! :blink:

Maybe that explains why she had her back half-turned to him? Always thought that was rather...odd; don't remember her doing that to any other interviewer! :blink:

Lucy was criticized for this and she said that she loved Dick Cavett. The studio air condition was blowing the feathers on from her jacket into her mouth and sitting that way was the only way to prevent it.

• Like 1

Lucy was criticized for this and she said that she loved Dick Cavett. The studio air condition was blowing the feathers on from her jacket into her mouth and sitting that way was the only way to prevent it.

Sorry, I don't buy it and call "bullshit" on this one. :blink:

This wasn't a live broadcast, was it? Unless it was, Miss No Shrinking Violet -- particularly at this point in her life and career -- would have called "cut" and said something to the effect that, hey the air is too much, can we cut it while the cameras roll or move the chairs over or something; that whole sitting away from him, there was something else going on there. :lucyhorror:

I believe Lucy here. She made an appearance on Cavett's summer variety show the following year, so she didn't seem to have any ill feelings towards him. He has always spoken very highly of Lucy. Dick did not make any disparaging remarks against Lucy in the Carol Burnett interview. He said that there are some not-so-nice people in show business and Carol gave Lucy and Jimmy Stewart as examples of stars who are nice.

• 3 months later...

I missed this thread from last September, so a couple of comments:

"she lives with her 23-years-younger husband, drummer Brian Miller"

23 YEARS YOUNGER AND A DRUMMER?

I SUPPOSE HE ALSO WENT TO BERKELEY AND HAS A BEARD.  CIRCUMSTANCES SO SIMILAR TO MARY'S.  DIVORCING HER PRODUCER HUSBAND (IN AN OUTWARDLY HAPPY MARRIAGE) AND MARRYING SOMEONE WHO WAS, BY MY CALCULATION WAS 11 WHEN HER SHOW DEBUTED.  AT LEAST MARY'S HUSBAND WAS 17 WHEN MTM DEBUTED!!

"I won’t give you the name, but he came in and complained about everything from the get-go, and we treated our guests really well. On Thursday [the day before taping], he said, “I’m out of here!” and someone else had to learn everything real fast. He was very short, so one of our writers called him a “pony’s ass.""

ANY GUESSES AS TO WHO THIS MIGHT BE?  RUDY VALLEE perhaps??  BUT HE WASN'T SHORT.  SOUNDS LIKE MEL TORME, BUT WAS ON HER SHOW. 

"And Lena Dunham?

Oh, she’s very funny, very talented.

I LIKE "GIRLS" BUT IT'S NOT MY GENERATION SO I CAN'T ALWAYS RELATE.  (DO PEOPLE REALLY HOP INTO BED THAT QUICKLY THESE DAYS???)  LEAH HAS A HANDLE ON THAT GENERATION'S FLAWS: ENTITLED, SELF-CENTERED BUT THEY'RE REALLY ALL SO UNLIKABLE, IT'S HARD TO ROOT FOR THEM.

I ATTENTED A CAROL Q&A SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND SET CAROL UP WITH A STRAIGHT LINE.  I ASKED ABOUT HER INVOLVEMENT IN THE "STANLEY" SITCOM AND SHE ANSWERED THAT LIVE TV WAS NERVE-RACKING UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE IN SHOW BUSINESS BUT THEN SAID "AS FAR AS THE YEAR NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!"  SAID IN THE SAME TONE SHE USED WHEN SHE YELLED AT VANDA "YES A BEAUTY CONTEST!!"  AND IT GOT A BIG LAUGH.

CAROL IS 83???  84, THIS APRIL.  FOR THOSE WHO REMEMBER MOTHER DEXTER (JUDITH LOWRY) ON "PHYLLIS", CAROL IS ONLY A YEAR YOUNGER THAN JUDITH WAS WHEN SHE FIRST GOT THE ROLE!!

I missed this thread from last September, so a couple of comments:

"she lives with her 23-years-younger husband, drummer Brian Miller"

23 YEARS YOUNGER AND A DRUMMER?

I SUPPOSE HE ALSO WENT TO BERKELEY AND HAS A BEARD.  CIRCUMSTANCES SO SIMILAR TO MARY'S.  DIVORCING HER PRODUCER HUSBAND (IN AN OUTWARDLY HAPPY MARRIAGE) AND MARRYING SOMEONE WHO WAS, BY MY CALCULATION WAS 11 WHEN HER SHOW DEBUTED.  AT LEAST MARY'S HUSBAND WAS 17 WHEN MTM DEBUTED!!

"I won’t give you the name, but he came in and complained about everything from the get-go, and we treated our guests really well. On Thursday [the day before taping], he said, “I’m out of here!” and someone else had to learn everything real fast. He was very short, so one of our writers called him a “pony’s ass.""

ANY GUESSES AS TO WHO THIS MIGHT BE?  RUDY VALLEE perhaps??  BUT HE WASN'T SHORT.  SOUNDS LIKE MEL TORME, BUT WAS ON HER SHOW. 

"And Lena Dunham?

Oh, she’s very funny, very talented.

I LIKE "GIRLS" BUT IT'S NOT MY GENERATION SO I CAN'T ALWAYS RELATE.  (DO PEOPLE REALLY HOP INTO BED THAT QUICKLY THESE DAYS???)  LEAH HAS A HANDLE ON THAT GENERATION'S FLAWS: ENTITLED, SELF-CENTERED BUT THEY'RE REALLY ALL SO UNLIKABLE, IT'S HARD TO ROOT FOR THEM.

I ATTENTED A CAROL Q&A SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND SET CAROL UP WITH A STRAIGHT LINE.  I ASKED ABOUT HER INVOLVEMENT IN THE "STANLEY" SITCOM AND SHE ANSWERED THAT LIVE TV WAS NERVE-RACKING UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE IN SHOW BUSINESS BUT THEN SAID "AS FAR AS THE YEAR NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!"  SAID IN THE SAME TONE SHE USED WHEN SHE YELLED AT VANDA "YES A BEAUTY CONTEST!!"  AND IT GOT A BIG LAUGH.

CAROL IS 83???  84, THIS APRIL.  FOR THOSE WHO REMEMBER MOTHER DEXTER (JUDITH LOWRY) ON "PHYLLIS", CAROL IS ONLY A YEAR YOUNGER THAN JUDITH WAS WHEN SHE FIRST GOT THE ROLE!!

We covered this aways back/earlier in this thread, the shrimp "pony's ass" in question was singer/songwriter Paul Williams:lucywow:

I LOVE that most all my fave TV legends are "cougars" and ended up happily with much younger men; as compared to the opposite where the long-suffering wife ends up taking care of the failing older husband (and trust me, I'm (sadly) living this myself as a first-hand observer), like Mary, who thankfully had someone younger, stronger -- and in her case, a Jewish doctor yet! Oy! Such a lucky goil! -- to help oversee and take care of her literally to the end....I should be so lucky! :blink:

Seemingly 75+/over 80 year old actor ladies certainly aren't what they were when we were growing up, I agree, but I think it's rather cool!  While we just lost two of the best, Mary (had just turned 80 in December) and Florence Henderson (was 82), also still alive, working and looking years younger are such lovelies as Shirley "Busty Ingels" Jones (83 in March), Barbara Eden (85), Jane Fonda (79), Lily Tomlin (77) and of course, Carol (now 83) as well as several others who's names escape me at the moment.

Hopefully, like the indefatigable Bets White (95!!!) and contemporary nonagenarians (sp?) like Cloris Leachman (90), Charlotte Rae (90) and of course, our own Carole "Mildred" Cook (93 and ANOTHER "cougar", with spouse of over 50 years (!) Tom Troupe a "mere" 88) and last but not least, Ruta "The Movie Star" Lee (81), here's hoping all these lovely ladies and all their contemporaries "live long(er) and prosper"!! :lucythrill:  

• Like 1

-----long-suffering wife ends up taking care of the failing older husband (and trust me, I'm (sadly) living this myself----

Which one are you?

Paul Williams was one of those celebrities that seemed to be everywhere for a very short period of time.  Songwriter, wasn't he?  But you wouldn't think his brief stardom would go to his head enough that he would piss off a "Carol Burnett Show" spot.   With his short stature and baby-fat looks, he obviously wasn't leading man material.  However, he did a good WC Fields to Lucy's Mae West on "Donny and Marie". 

Carole and Tom made a guest appearance on a "web series" called "Break a Hip".  Don't understand the whole web series thing.  An audition for funding perhaps?  They made about 7 episodes each about 6 minutes long, I think.  They're on Vimeo.  Carole and Tom still have "IT"; and would probably work more if they got offers.  Common complaint among older, still supremely talented performers.  The casting people are all youngsters and have no idea who they are.   I'll never forget Kaye Ballard's face when a local news "on-location" woman was waiting for her cue from the anchor to interview Kaye live at some sort of pet store opening in Palm Springs and 10 seconds before air turned to Kaye and said "Have you done anything I can mention that anyone would know about?".   I wish she'd given that bubble-head a Roger C. Carmel PUNCH.  I'm sure she felt like it.  Her facial expression said it all.  

I'll never forget Kaye Ballard's face when a local news "on-location" woman was waiting for her cue from the anchor to interview Kaye live at some sort of pet store opening in Palm Springs and 10 seconds before air turned to Kaye and said "Have you done anything I can mention that anyone would know about?". I wish she'd given that bubble-head a Roger C. Carmel PUNCH. I'm sure she felt like it. Her facial expression said it all.

Possible retorts for Ms. Ballard:

"Tell them without-a-me, there wouldn't BE any Desilu Studios!"

"Oh, reeeeeeaaalllly? Tell you what, kid, why don't you tell me something YOU'VE done that the folks at home would recognize YOU for! I need no introduction!"

On second thought, the punch is most appropriate.

-----long-suffering wife ends up taking care of the failing older husband (and trust me, I'm (sadly) living this myself----

Which one are you?

Paul Williams was one of those celebrities that seemed to be everywhere for a very short period of time.  Songwriter, wasn't he?  But you wouldn't think his brief stardom would go to his head enough that he would piss off a "Carol Burnett Show" spot.   With his short stature and baby-fat looks, he obviously wasn't leading man material.  However, he did a good WC Fields to Lucy's Mae West on "Donny and Marie". 

Carole and Tom made a guest appearance on a "web series" called "Break a Hip".  Don't understand the whole web series thing.  An audition for funding perhaps?  They made about 7 episodes each about 6 minutes long, I think.  They're on Vimeo.  Carole and Tom still have "IT"; and would probably work more if they got offers.  Common complaint among older, still supremely talented performers.  The casting people are all youngsters and have no idea who they are.   I'll never forget Kaye Ballard's face when a local news "on-location" woman was waiting for her cue from the anchor to interview Kaye live at some sort of pet store opening in Palm Springs and 10 seconds before air turned to Kaye and said "Have you done anything I can mention that anyone would know about?".   I wish she'd given that bubble-head a Roger C. Carmel PUNCH.  I'm sure she felt like it.  Her facial expression said it all.  

Neil, given you're more familiar than most here with my current "situation" - not to mention the fact that I'm "cursed" to being perennially single -- I don't really appreciate that insensitive, snarky excuse for a "joke" but since you asked and for the benefit of folks here who don't know, I've relocated from Palm Springs and I'm currently staying with my senior citizen parents (Mom, 79 & Dad, 83) and the situation is difficult at best and upsetting, challenging, etc. watching them both slow down, deal with various ailments between them and generally feeling pretty helpless that there's not much I can do for them except to help out a little running errands, cooking and cleaning sometimes, etc.  Enough said.

Carole & Tom Troupe got involved in the web series if I recall correctly because of and at the behest of the involvement and participation of actor/artist/adopted LA "grandson" Mason McCulley, who is one of the producers and also appears - as does Mr. Troupe -- on the web series.  He's not only a fabulous guy, he's a talented artist and even created a great piece featuring Miss Cook... and has also been working on a documentary about the decades-married couple, even interviewing Frank "Major Domo" Gorey for the project as I was privileged to witness firsthand. I'm hoping it's finished soon I'm itching to see it and I'm sure it's a "labor of love" as they have a mutual admiration society that's been a joy to follow on his Facebook page.

Carole also has a small cameo role in a beauty shop-based scene in Del Shores upcoming theatrical sequel to "Sordid Lives" called "Sordid Lives Wedding" which has its world premiere in Palm Springs on March 10th....and I wouldn't be surprised if "Mildred" is in attendance, god willing! 

This is one I'm really gonna miss getting to attend! :blink:

6b19859f-9cff-45db-9e82-c80d77cf63c0.jpg

More premiere info here:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/AVSW-PREMIERE-TICKETS-ON-SALE-NOW--.html?soid=1101500545676&aid=Led4jbBpUe0

Mason's project "Carole & Tom: A Documentary"

https://www.facebook.com/CaroleandTom/

10010469_1432817483633837_13851308187824

Mason's Art (where you can find some fantastic pieces, including his amazing "Glitter & Tits" portrait of Carole:

https://www.facebook.com/MasonMcCulleyArt/

601317_354238514680194_274491281_n.jpg?o

Mason & Carole in "Break A Hip":

https://vimeo.com/135357159

Carole & Mason, West Hollywood January 15, 2017 (celebrating her birthday):

16114704_10100683236505446_8574714143378