The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

"for the benefit of folks here who don't know, I've relocated from Palm Springs and I'm currently staying with my senior citizen parents (Mom, 79 & Dad, 83) and the situation is difficult at best and upsetting, challenging, etc. watching them both slow down, deal with various ailments between them and generally feeling pretty helpless that there's not much I can do for them except to help out a little running errands, cooking and cleaning sometimes, etc.  Enough said."

Joey: May GOD BLESS YOU!  There is NOTHING more valuable, loving, caring, welcome, than a child who takes care of an ill or aging parent(s).  Stay strong; I know you will.  Your sacrifices right now will bring you MUCH REWARD in the future; not to even mention peace of mind. 

Loving you, JK :MrsRichardCarlson:  :wub: 

• Like 3

"for the benefit of folks here who don't know, I've relocated from Palm Springs and I'm currently staying with my senior citizen parents (Mom, 79 & Dad, 83) and the situation is difficult at best and upsetting, challenging, etc. watching them both slow down, deal with various ailments between them and generally feeling pretty helpless that there's not much I can do for them except to help out a little running errands, cooking and cleaning sometimes, etc.  Enough said."

Joey: May GOD BLESS YOU!  There is NOTHING more valuable, loving, caring, welcome, than a child who takes care of an ill or aging parent(s).  Stay strong; I know you will.  Your sacrifices right now will bring you MUCH REWARD in the future; not to even mention peace of mind. 

Loving you, JK :MrsRichardCarlson:  :wub:

Thanks Joyce for you kindness and empathy. 

Loving you right back!  :peachonthebeach:

-J

Missed this from earlier:  "Neil, given you're more familiar than most here with my current "situation" - not to mention the fact that I'm "cursed" to being perennially single -- I don't really appreciate that insensitive, snarky excuse for a "joke""

I didn't really comprehend the gravity of your situation, not too dissimilar from my own so my snark was meant more as a birds-of-a-feather gallows remark. So, sorry. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Av Club article does a round about starting by talking about SNL and transitioning into the 6th episode of the Carol Burnett Show and brings up Lucy (a guest on that episode) a few times. Some assessments of her I take issue with.

In the article is a link to a sketch I’ve never seen before “the two stars play working women who meet for lunch at an Argentine restaurant that turns out to be run by Nazis in hiding.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNaccyVQjTY#action=share

Also this is one of the best descriptions I think I’ve ever heard about Carol.

“She was like an Al Hirschfeld drawing come to life—all severe angles and elegant curlicues”

http://www.avclub.com/article/snl-its-best-carol-burnett-show-realized-comic-pot-254641

• Like 1

This Av Club article does a round about starting by talking about SNL and transitioning into the 6th episode of the Carol Burnett Show and brings up Lucy (a guest on that episode) a few times. Some assessments of her I take issue with.

In the article is a link to a sketch I’ve never seen before “the two stars play working women who meet for lunch at an Argentine restaurant that turns out to be run by Nazis in hiding.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNaccyVQjTY#action=share

Also this is one of the best descriptions I think I’ve ever heard about Carol.

“She was like an Al Hirschfeld drawing come to life—all severe angles and elegant curlicues”

http://www.avclub.com/article/snl-its-best-carol-burnett-show-realized-comic-pot-25464

Cool! thanks for sharing, Shelly! :lucythrill:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of information about The Carol Burnett Show 50th Anniversary Special!

Kristin Chenoweth, Bernadette Peters & More Set for THE CAROL BURNETT 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL on CBS

by TV News Desk Sep. 7, 2017  

Tweet Share     

Kristin Chenoweth, Bernadette Peters & More Set for THE CAROL BURNETT 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL on CBSCBS will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Carol Burnett's classic, award-winning comedy series with THE Carol Burnett 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, a new two-hour star-studded event featuring Burnett, original cast members and special guests, on Sunday, Dec. 3 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Filming on Stage 33 at CBS Television City in Los Angeles, the show's original soundstage, Burnett will reminisce about her favorite sketches, Q&As with the studio audience, guest stars, her memorable wardrobe and bloopers, as well as the tremendous effect the show continues to have on television today as a true pioneer of sketch comedy.

"I can't believe how fast the time went, and what makes me the happiest is that so much of the funny stuff we did still holds up today, and we can share it with generations to come," said Carol Burnett. "What a great ride!"

"'The Carol Burnett Show' was a comedy showcase that was years ahead of its time. If social media existed then, clips from the broadcast would have quickly gone viral," said Leslie Moonves, Chairman and CEO, CBS Corporation. "We are very proud of the show's significant place in CBS' legacy, as well as in television history, and we look forward to this primetime celebration of incredible talent, led by the incomparable Carol Burnett."

The special will also feature original cast members Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner, costume designer Bob Mackie, as well as other comedians, comic actors and friends, including Jim CarreyKristin ChenowethStephen ColbertHARRY Connick Jr., Bill HaderJay LenoJane LynchBernadette PetersMaya Rudolph and Martin Short, among others, who will join Burnett to discuss how the revolutionary series paved the way for them and impacted their careers.

"The Carol Burnett Show" premiered on Sept. 11, 1967 and starred Carol BurnettHarvey KormanVicki Lawrence, Lyle Waggoner and Tim Conway. Airing for 11 seasons and a total of 276 episodes, the show earned a total of 25 Primetime Emmy Awards, including three for Outstanding Variety-Music/Comedy Series. In addition, the show earned eight Golden Globe Awards, including one for Best Television Show - Comedy or Musical, and Burnett received four for Best Actress - Comedy or Musical.

THE Carol Burnett 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL will be produced for television by Dick Clark productions. Carol Burnett, Steve Sauer, Allen Shapiro, Mike Mahan, Mark Bracco, Paul Miller and Leslie Kolins Small are executive producers. Paul Miller directs.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/carol-burnett-50th-anniversary-special-cbs-1202163309/

I'm worried about Tim since it doesn't say he is appearing. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Seth Rudetsky who hosts the afternoons on the Sirus XM Broadway Channel is in LA this week working on the Carol Burnett show reunion shoot. Confirmed we have Bernadette Peters appearing on the show as they taped that segment yesterday. He didn’t say what they did but I’m pretty sure they sang something together.

• Like 1