Brock

The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

Freddie2    744

I hate watching football on TV. I can never tell what’s going on and the announcers are annoying. When you’re actually in the stands, it’s great. Then again, it’s not nearly as annoying as Big Bang Theory. I’m sure I wouldn’t mind the writing as much if the production values didn’t make everything look so soulless.

I could’ve sworn BBT was #1 once or twice before. Anyway, if this isn’t the case, this would be the first time a sitcom had the top spot since Friends in 2001-2002! Let’s also notice that while it is the top rated show on TV, it only has an 11.5 rating- contrast that with the 67.3 rating for the #1 show in 1952-1953 (which need not be named).

It’s probably time we found a new ratings system. I wish streaming services would give numbers. For one thing, I know my mom pretty much exclusively watches any new shows on Hulu- not when they’re initially broadcast. My grandparents DVR everything (and I mean everything), so it’s possible that this year’s most-watched Show was something entirely different from what we think it is!

Freddie2    744
2 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

DVR is included in ratings, just not the overnights.

Thanks for the info- I wasn't sure. I know they also count streaming, but only about a three-day window.

Freddie2    744

As someone who is a “ratings nerd”, it’s annoying that nowadays it can be hard to gauge how many people are watching what. 

Fun Fact: Life With Lucy received a dismal average Nielsen rating of 9.0, landing near the bottom of the rankings. Had it aired during the 2016-17 season and received the same average rating, it would have placed seventh!

Luvsbway    1,852

Hey ratings nerd, wanna come be my intern? Ratings are the part of my job I just rather not deal with.

• Haha 1

Freddie2    744
14 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

Hey ratings nerd, wanna come be my intern? Ratings are the part of my job I just rather not deal with.

Oh sure, I’ll come and give a little unpaid assistance and next thing you know I’ll be oiling the model trains!

Luvsbway    1,852
11 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

Oh sure, I’ll come and give a little unpaid assistance and next thing you know I’ll be oiling the model trains!

My husband can use the help.  The cat is lazy and I think is drinking on the job.

• Haha 1

Neil    1,249
On 6/6/2018 at 6:30 PM, Freddie2 said:

As someone who is a “ratings nerd”, it’s annoying that nowadays it can be hard to gauge how many people are watching what. 

Fun Fact: Life With Lucy received a dismal average Nielsen rating of 9.0, landing near the bottom of the rankings. Had it aired during the 2016-17 season and received the same average rating, it would have placed seventh!

Another ratings nerd!  I didn't know there was another one---besides Harry Carter and me.  We've been compiling what we can find and I'll post now that I know there's interest.  I'm not as interested in more recent ratings----once there were all these fledgling networks and other methods of viewing.  I don't see how ratings today can be anywhere close to accurate. 

That was indeed a fun fact.   Would Here's Lucy's 73-74 #29 ranking, and a rating of 20.0 be #1 today?

Ratings through a lot of the 60s were based on a two-week average (so "the Lucy Show" AND "Lucy in London" made the same top 10), so here's a couple of ratings fun facts from our research:

The first run of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour as a 13-week series was in the summer of 1962, the first of 5 summers CBS ran it.   It's first outing scored a #6 for the week. Episodes: "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" and "Havana".  This was the 4th or 5th time many of these episodes had been shown.  TLDH has the distinction of having the most prime time runs of any show: 7 to 10 airings by the time CBS retired it in 1967.  Another distinction: the last b/w series any network aired in primetime.  Pretty impressive. 

"The Lucy Show"'s premiere on Oct. 1, 1962 was a runaway hit at #1.  It was to be overtaken as "show of the year" by Beverly Hillbillies but finished the season at #4.   "Lucy's Roommate Carol Burnett" from the 5th season was #1 for the week.  Though TLS ratings were always stellar, I'm not sure it was #1 for the week between these 2 episodes. 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    911

One of Carol's earliest TV appearances, Omnibus with Leonard Bernstein, will be on TCM on Sunday as part of their Bernstein centennial. It's on at 10:45pm. Paula Stewart also appears.