The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

This is so true which is why it soooo cracked me up:  "Growing up in the seventies wasn’t all bad. Aside from the fact most of us now need the flashlight on our phones to read the ingredients in an energy bar, and we have no idea how to use Instagram..."

"Hey, KID, save your old-age energy to return to Chautauqua County and HONOR ME, YOUR FRIEND, LUCY, in MY hometown, less than 10 miles from where you appeared last year..."

Then I guess I shouldn't "fuel the fire" and tell you she's all over New York City this week plugging her new book?? Oops! Slipped out! :blink:

Carol on TV

Upcoming Interviews - Set those DVRs!

Today Show 7-9 AM Tues Sept. 13

Live with Kelly 10 AM Sept 13

Jimmy Fallon Sept. 13

Rachel Ray Sept. 14

What What Happens Live (BRAVO) Sept. 15

lucycarol.jpg

It would be interesting to see Carol on a traditional sitcom. I don't think she's ever done a long running character (except for Eunice).

Awww you younguns..... Carol had a recurring guest role as mom on NBC's long-running "Mad About You" opposite Helen Hunt and Carroll O'Connor as husband.  Haven't seen these in years but it was a pretty popular show in it's time....which apparently was before yours.

She's also guested on many other shows, perhaps most recently with Bets on "Hot in Cleveland". :peachonthebeach:

Then I guess I shouldn't "fuel the fire" and tell you she's all over New York City this week plugging her new book?? Oops! Slipped out! :blink:

Carol on TV

Upcoming Interviews - Set those DVRs!

Today Show 7-9 AM Tues Sept. 13

Live with Kelly 10 AM Sept 13

Jimmy Fallon Sept. 13

Rachel Ray Sept. 14

What What Happens Live (BRAVO) Sept. 15

lucycarol.jpg

Joey:  Don't misunderstand this; BUT............NYC for our area of NYState (SOUTHWESTERN NY STATE, as opposed to the 'other coast' SOUTHEASTERN NY STATE, amounts to me driving 1/2 way to Florida; guess which route would be my choice!!!!!!???? 

In other words, NYC is about as far away from our area as nearly 500 miles, depending how far you go out on Long Island; then, probably close to 600 miles..

Don't worry; EVERYONE in the world makes the same mistake.  Assumably, 'from NYS, obviously', you live near NEW YORK CITY.  WRONG!  Another mistake, EVERYONE makes is:  Western NY (100 miles south of Buffalo; 60 miles east of Erie PA) is referred to as UPSTATE - REALLY???? WE are about 15 miles north of PA line!!; 40 miles east of PA state line....

BACK TO BURNETT; SHE was 14 miles north of Jamestown when she appeared!!!!  [really pisses me off....]

Love, JK :D  :fabrary:  ​

Joey:  Don't misunderstand this; BUT............NYC for our area of NYState (SOUTHWESTERN NY STATE, as opposed to the 'other coast' SOUTHEASTERN NY STATE, amounts to me driving 1/2 way to Florida; guess which route would be my choice!!!!!!???? 

In other words, NYC is about as far away from our area as nearly 500 miles, depending how far you go out on Long Island; then, probably close to 600 miles..

Don't worry; EVERYONE in the world makes the same mistake.  Assumably, 'from NYS, obviously', you live near NEW YORK CITY.  WRONG!  Another mistake, EVERYONE makes is:  Western NY (100 miles south of Buffalo; 60 miles east of Erie PA) is referred to as UPSTATE - REALLY???? WE are about 15 miles north of PA line!!; 40 miles east of PA state line....

BACK TO BURNETT; SHE was 14 miles north of Jamestown when she appeared!!!!  [really pisses me off....]

Love, JK :D  :fabrary:  ​

Gee thanks Joyce for schooling this dumb born and raised "Cali-forn-yun" about the relative distance from NYC and the lovely berg of the Town of James, despite the fact I never suggested they were near each other, rather that she so happened to be in your state at the moment and not mine.

BTW I've been to Jamestown once and have always wanted to go back...so I do know not only where it is but what a schlepp it is from here to there...and I'm not over 80 like Carol is, so I wouldn't hold it against her.

Perhaps it's time to take up a new....crusade. :HALKING:

CRUSADE?  I don't even think about Carol Burnett (never even watched her any of her shows with regularity) until she (after YEARS of speaking of friendship with Lucille Ball); comes to the area and never sets foot on Town of James soil to honor the woman. 

I call what you say is my crusade, a FEAT OF DISRESPECT AND DISPROOF OF FRIENDSHIP EXCEPT FOR A GOOD P.R. TACTIC.

What I would LOVE is for someone, while interviewing her on her book tour, to ask just why she didn't come to the Town of James while she was only 14 miles away appearing.

I am going to see Carol on Saturday night at the Beacon Theater - I have 5th row seats anyone have any questions you think I should ask her? I ma trying to come up with a good question.

See Joyce's last three posts! Should you get called upon by Miss B, you'd do us all a solid and kill two birds with one stone! :HALKING:
  • Like 1

I am going to see Carol on Saturday night at the Beacon Theater - I have 5th row seats anyone have any questions you think I should ask her? I ma trying to come up with a good question.

The BEST question:  [and I would LOVE her reply to get back to me this Lounge]

DID YOU HAVE ANY IDEA YOU WERE 14 MILES FROM LUCILLE BALL HOMETOWN WHEN  YOU APPEARED AT CHAUTAUQUA INSTITUTION LAST YEAR?  IF SO, AND SHE WAS SUCH A GOOD FRIEND; WHY DID YOU NOT GIVE THE TOWN A 'BOOST' WITH  YOUR PRESENCE AND ASK FOR A TOUR THROUGH THE MUSEUM IN THEIR HONOR?  YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN WELCOMED WITH OPEN ARMS....

• Like 1

You make her sound like she's running for office and you need to nail her on something. Can you hack her email to find private discouraging remarks she once said about Lucy?

"Gawd, that woman! She'd never stop calling me 'kid'! Couldn't she just have called me something a little less condescending, like "little Red' or 'Red too'?? And those damn flowers!! She even sent them for my birthday the day she died!! It's like the bitch is gonna haunt me forever, can't even call my birthday my own!! Damn it!!" :lucywow:

• Like 2

Interesting: Bin Laden Burnett!  Itching to find out who this "diminutive" guest star was, who could it have been?? Paul Williams? Sammy Davis Jr.?? Hmmmm ...guess we'll never know...but if anyone has an idea, please throw it out there!! -J

Carol Burnett on Osama bin Laden and the TV guest star from hell

Her variety show ended in 1978, yet kids today are still discovering the comedy genius of Carol Burnett via DVDs and YouTube. “I’m getting fan mail from 9-year-olds!” the chipper 83-year-old tells The Post. “I think one of the reasons is, our show was never that timely . . . We just wanted to be funny.”

She recalls those 11 crazy seasons of The Carol Burnett Show in a new memoir, In Such Good Company, but she’s been on the road for years: Her Evening of Laughter and Reflection — 90 minutes of Q&A with the woman who played Scarlett O’Hara in a gown made of curtains, rod included — lands at the Beacon Theatre Friday and Saturday.

From California, where she lives with her 23-years-younger husband, drummer Brian Miller, Burnett talked about the show, a nasty guest and which funny women she’s watching today.

What kind of questions do you get on tour?

Usually I’ll get, “Why did you pull your ear at the end of the show?” and, “Would you do the Tarzan yell?” But about nine years ago, I was in my hometown, San Antonio, when a lady in the balcony raised her hand. “If you could be a member of the opposite sex for 24 hours, who would you be and what would you do?” My mind was racing, so I actually said a [silent] prayer: “OK, Lord, I’m gonna open my mouth, and whatever comes out is your fault!” Then I said, “I’d be Osama bin Laden and I’d kill myself!” And the audience went crazy. Thank you, God.

You grew up poor. What was the first thing you splurged on when you finally made some dough?

A good pair of shoes! When I was a kid, I was a 7AAA, very narrow. [My grandmother] would buy me shoes that were too big, stuff them with newspaper and say, “You’ll grow into them.” So when I got on “The Garry Moore Show” [in 1959], I was able to buy a pair of shoes that really fit.

I don’t think many people realize you played New York City nightclubs.

I only played the Blue Angel. I never did stand-up — I can’t tell a joke to save my soul. I did characters, like, “This is a girl auditioning for a Broadway show for the first time.” I made her into a high-school girl who was really bad at spelling and chose to sing “Oklahoma!” When she gets to K, she messes it up completely.

Were there any other titles considered besides “The Carol Burnett Show”?

As if we’d call it “The Kim Novak Show” and I’d come out! [Laughs] But even though my name was in the title, we had a true rep company. It was really all of us. And I learned that from watching the Sid Caesar show, “Caesar’s Hour,” because he was so generous with Carl Reiner and Nanette Fabray.

Your memoir has nothing but nice things to say about everyone. Wasn’t there anyone who didn’t play ball?

Only one. I won’t give you the name, but he came in and complained about everything from the get-go, and we treated our guests really well. On Thursday [the day before taping], he said, “I’m out of here!” and someone else had to learn everything real fast. He was very short, so one of our writers called him a “pony’s ass.”

You’re a longtime friend of Betty White. Please tell us what she’s really like.

Before she became Sue Ann Nivens [the two-faced TV hostess on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”], everyone thought she was icky-poo sweet, just cloying. Those of us who knew her knew she had this wicked sense of humor — she could be very blue, but funny blue. Johnny Carson used to make fun of her [until] she got on his show and she laid him to waste. And he loved her from then on.

Having paved the way for so many women in comedy, who do you follow today?

Amy Poehler and Tina [Fey] and Maya Rudolph. I feel like I’m cut from their cloth, because we’re all sketch performers.

And Lena Dunham?

Oh, she’s very funny, very talented. I think all of them are talented. It’s just that my thing is sketch comedy. I’m not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but if it’s gonna be blue, it better be very funny.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/16/carol-burnett-on-osama-bin-laden-and-the-tv-guest-star-from-hell/

• Like 1