The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

2 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

How neat you got to see her in person, and speak with her! What did you ask/talk about?

It was brief, of course, but we did joke around a little (how many people can say they’ve made Carol Burnett laugh:lucywow:), and I asked about her sharing a workspace with Red Skelton (as I recently mentioned in the Judy thread), because I don’t think it’s an aspect of her time on the show that usually gets mentioned. She’s extremely kind and approachable, and not in a phony way. There’s a reason she can still sell out a 2,500 seat theater at big prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

It was brief, of course, but we did joke around a little (how many people can say they’ve made Carol Burnett laugh:lucywow:), and I asked about her sharing a workspace with Red Skelton (as I recently mentioned in the Judy thread), because I don’t think it’s an aspect of her time on the show that usually gets mentioned. She’s extremely kind and approachable, and not in a phony way. There’s a reason she can still sell out a 2,500 seat theater at big prices.

You made Carol laugh. Wow. There's something to tell the grandkids!

Good question re: Red Skelton! There are so many topics she tends not to be asked about or bring up. Personally, I'd love to know about her snubbing the later years of Mama's Family or suing Family Guy, but I'd never have the guts to ask THOSE questions. Kudos for sticking to the positive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fathom Events will be screening three Carol Burnett Show episodes on April 22! I hope these are the full shows. It’s not clear.

'The Carol Burnett Show: Laugh All Night' to Premiere in Movie Theaters Nationwide - April 22 Only

Experience Three Fan-Favorite Episodes and an Exclusive Premiere of a New Retrospective on "The Carol Burnett Show" in Movie Theaters for the First Time Ever

DENVER, March 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Carol Burnett and Fathom Events will celebrate the comedic legend's 87th birthday with a fan experience and celebration of "The Carol Burnett Show," one of the most acclaimed and influential TV series of all-time, and the winner of 25 Emmy® Awards. Coming to movie theaters nationwide for one night only on April 22, the event, "THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: LAUGH ALL NIGHT," will feature the premiere screening of a brand new behind-the-scenes retrospective, in addition to three classic episodes personally selected by Carol Burnett for this special one-night event.

The Carol Burnett Show: Laugh All Night

Tickets for "THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: LAUGH ALL NIGHT" can be purchased starting Friday, March 20, at www.FathomEvents.com and participating theater box offices.

"'The Carol Burnett Show' was a passion project of mine and one of the first of its kind to be hosted by a woman," Carol Burnett said. "I couldn't be prouder of what we created during this time and I'm excited to have the opportunity to showcase some of my favorite episodes with both new and old audiences across the country."

Kicking off with an introduction by Carol Burnettherself, the three fan-favorite episodes will feature classic sketches, such as "The Dentist," "The Family: The Attic," featuring Betty White, and "Went with the Wind," which are sure to have fans laughing in their seats. Attendees will also receive a commemorative and exclusive limited-edition poster (while supplies last).

"From 'I Love Lucy' to 'Friends,' we've found that classic and beloved television is resonating with audiences across demographics, and that they are eager to watch their favorite series in a new way - on the big screen,"  Fathom Events CEO Ray Nuttsaid. "Our goal is to always bring special and unique content to theaters for people across America to enjoy together in theaters, and 'The Carol Burnett Show' is just that."

"The Carol Burnett Show" has been providing fans with belly laughs for over 50 years.  We're very excited that this iconic television series is now coming to the big screen," Shout! Factory SVP of Programming and New Business Development Jeffrey Peisch said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carol-burnett-show-laugh-night-170300540.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Fathom Events will be screening three Carol Burnett Show episodes on April 22! I hope these are the full shows. It’s not clear.

So they are hitting a very classic scene with the GWTW curtains the Novocain at the dentist. Betty is eternal and pulling in a family sketch for us Mama's Family fans. So I'm pretty sure that we then are getting no Lucy in those 3. Anyone know the special guests on the 3 episodes picked?

3 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

So they are hitting a very classic scene with the GWTW curtains the Novocain at the dentist. Betty is eternal and pulling in a family sketch for us Mama's Family fans. So I'm pretty sure that we then are getting no Lucy in those 3. Anyone know the special guests on the 3 episodes picked?

The Dentist episode is Ethel Merman and Went with the Wind is Dinah Shore. Three great guests including Betty!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The edited versions of the "lost" episodes of "TCBS" (playing on MeTV) as well as the previously syndicated "Carol Burnett and Friends" shows are on Amazon now.

I've watched many "Family" sketches, skipping much other material as it does not hold up nearly as well.

• Like 1

The Carol Burnett Show starts tonight on Folk TV. It is scheduled to air Monday thru Friday at 8pm and 9pm. I believe they are starting at the beginning and hopefully its the one hour show. I asked them on their FB page if this is the one hour show or not but they haven't replied as of yet.  The fact that they are showing it on their schedule as 8pm and 9pm leads me to believe that it is two episodes they are airing, or possibly the same episode twice. I will find out tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered last night that Amazon Prime has 9 seasons of the Carol Burnett Show streaming. Some are shortened versions.

I've seen the first 2 of Lucy's appearances in the Lost episodes pack that was streaming previously.

The 2 new to me shows included: The Rock Sisters and Some Like It Hotsy Totsey. The sketches are Lucy and Carol as flight attendants, and a takeoff on Bob, Carol, Ted, and Alice.

I saw a sketch once with Lucy as a bad stage mom opposite Vicki but that sketch wasn't in any of these 4 episodes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shout! Factory TV (which I believe is free with ads) is making every episode of The Carol Burnett Show available starting on June 1st, with a marathon of episodes streaming live on May 30th and 31st. I haven't read whether or not these will be complete episodes with music and everything. Shout! has been one of those great home video saviors over the years when it comes to putting out more obscure movies and shows, not to mention picking up larger companies' slack when it comes to finishing full series releases- notably their loving sets for Norman Lear's major shows and Bob Newhart's two biggest hits. Considering the heftiness of TCBS, streaming might be the best option to get the complete series out there. I don't think the casual fan would be motivated to buy all eleven seasons individually, and a whole box set would be pretty pricey. Perhaps this streaming venture is testing the waters for a complete physical release? If so, I'd be curious if it would include the copious bonus features that have been produced by TIME/Life.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, RodMcK1 said:

Fetv (channel 323 on direct tv) is airing hour long version of TCBS tonight.  I don’t know if this will be a regular thing.

I watched a couple of those episodes (hour long) a few nights ago and was greatly disappointed!  They didn't seem to be the true, original episodes with the guest cast introduced at the top of the show: for instance, one of them was supposed to feature Barbara Eden and a male comic star whom I now can't recall, not that it mattered: they were seen briefly at the top of the show, never appeared in any of the rest of the sketches, another female guest star (not Barbara) appeared in one of the sketches and then Babs and the male guest appeared again for the farewell/final bows segment and that was it! For whatever reason, they filled the hour with material from another episode(s) that didn't even feature the supposed guest stars AND there was no big production number for a finale, it was an hour of sketches.... I was truly disappointed and if this is how Shout! is going to present them, I doubt I'll even bother! I want to see them again as they were originally broadcast! Otherwise... what's the point?? :HALKING:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...