The Carol Burnett Appreciation Thread

Verla Grubbs will make a triumpant multi-episode arc return to Pine Valley before the network flips a swish on AMC's life support machine:

Legendary Carol Burnett will reprise her role as Verla Grubbs for a few episodes to air in September, ABC has announced.

Burnett's Grubbs first appeared in Pine Valley in 1983 as the long-lost daughter of Langley Wallingford, played by the late Louis Edmonds. The comedian/actress has been playing Grubbs on and off for years. In 1984, she teamed up with Elizabeth Taylor in an AMC scene, and most recently Burnett played Grubbs again for the show's 35th Anniversary episode in 2005.

ABC says in a release that Burnett "will now play Verla Grubbs one last time" opposite Susan Lucci (Erica Kane), and Jill Larson (Opal Cortlandt).

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/06/carol-burnett-to-return-to-all-my-children/1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, at least THIS TIME it wasn't just the SECOND NIGHT OF A SHOW I WAS DOING story, but rather a medley of her greatest Lucy stories. I enjoyed that and hope we get to see MORE of her in the coming years on various shows.

Well, at least THIS TIME it wasn't just the SECOND NIGHT OF A SHOW I WAS DOING story, but rather a medley of her greatest Lucy stories. I enjoyed that and hope we get to see MORE of her in the coming years on various shows.

She needs to pop up on Hot in Cleveland: Would LOVE to see her work with Betty again! :D

• 3 weeks later...

When i saw an ad for Erin Burnett and her new show on CNN i immedeately thought of Carol's daughter but i guess HER name would be Erin Hamilton, i think she was one of the nineteen new stars introduced by Lucy and Hope at The Oscars. :mred:

It was actually Carol's eldest daughter, the late Carrie Hamilton, who was one of the "Stars of Tomorrow" on the Oscars.

Groovy about Entertainment Weekly! I'm going to have to pick up a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

TV Guide's joint interview with Carol and Amy Poehler:

No doubt about it, Parks and Recreation star Amy Poehler is one of the funniest peeps on the planet. So who inspired her? As part of our ongoing series of interviews called "Icons & Innovators," we gave the former Saturday Night Live sensation a chance to chat with the comedy star she admires most: the legendary Carol Burnett. The winner of six Emmys — three of them for her beloved 1967-78 laughfest The Carol Burnett Show — Burnett came close to working with Poehler when they both did voice work in the hit animated film Horton Hears a Who! But these two comedy greats have never performed face-to-face. What's Hollywood waiting for?

TV Guide Magazine: Amy, of all the funny people in the biz, why is Carol your greatest inspiration?

Poehler: Here's the deal. Saturday Night Live is the seminal sketch show for most comedy performers of my generation, the one that made them want to get into the business. Not for me. Mine was The Carol Burnett Show. Carol, I just loved the tone and the feeling of love you all shared and the incredible collaboration. You could tell the cast was having so much fun and because of that, so did we at home. I have very lovely memories of watching the show together with my mom.

Burnett: God bless you, dear! The best compliment anyone can give me is to say you watched our show as a family and that it's a great childhood memory. That does my heart good.

Poehler: I also loved that it was dangerous TV! At any moment it felt like your sketches with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway could go off the rails — that anything could happen — and that was so electric and exciting to me.

TV Guide Magazine: Much of the comedy these days tends to be raw, rude, dripping with irony. How do you feel about the way it has evolved?

Burnett: I don't like that they want everything to be edgy now. I mean, there's room for everything, isn't there? What's wrong with some wholesome, good old-fashioned belly laughs? By the way, Amy, I loved you on the Emmys, getting up on stage before the winner was announced, and then all your fellow nominees followed. It was the highlight of the show!

Poehler: That was inspired by Harvey and Tim!

Burnett: [Laughs] I had a feeling! They once did that when they were nominated in the same category. Harvey won, but Tim, who was so much shorter, went up on stage and stood behind Harvey peeking around him and looking at the Emmy like, "You should be mine!" Johnny Carson was the host and he was doubled over.

Poehler: Those two always pulled crazy stunts like that at the Emmys. I feel that way, too. If I get a chance to do a bit, I will take it. It feels so much better than just sitting there waiting to lose.

Burnett: I also admired the show of solidarity. There were six amazing women from all different kinds of comedy up there supporting each other, hugging each other. I was on the floor.

MORE AT THE SOURCE: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amy-Poehler-Carol-Burnett-1038848.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Ask Carol Burnett a Question!

Marlo Thomas is taking questions to ask Carol Burnett when she joins Marlo on her website on Monday:

From Marlo's site:

The hilarious Carol Burnett is joining me on Mondays with Marlo to answer your questions about being a having a career in show business, working in a male dominated field, life as a woman in comedy, establishing a work/life balance, and advice for young women who want to go into show business! Ask her your questions in the comment section below!

Carol Burnett made her first television appearance in early 1950s with a short stint on a children's television show. She became a regular on the Garry Moore Show in 1959 and was also featured on occasional CBS-TV specials over the years. Already a popular performer, she got her own comedy-variety show, The Carol Burnett Show, in 1967. The show featured usually opened with a question and answer session with the audience and the silliness ensued -- broad comedy skits and sketches with Burnett using her expressive face to great humorous ends. The show ran for eleven seasons, leaving the air in 1978. Burnett later returned to television with the comedy series Carol & Company in 1990 and The Carol Burnett Show in 1991 -- neither effort lasted long. Most recently Carol Burnett has made a guest appearance on the hit television series Desperate Housewives in 2006.

Go to Marlo's site to submit your question: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/ask-comedienne-carol-burn_n_1077103.html

Ask Carol Burnett a Question!

Marlo Thomas is taking questions to ask Carol Burnett when she joins Marlo on her website on Monday:

Go to Marlo's site to submit your question: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/ask-comedienne-carol-burn_n_1077103.html

I have one, when did you first meet Lucy, i dun't thin you've ever told the story, LOL!

I have one, when did you first meet Lucy, i dun't thin you've ever told the story, LOL!

I believe she answered THAT one on this morning's TCM dedication to Lucille: I believe Lucille came back-stage at Carol's broadway show wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy back when - Carol KNEW she was in audience; had a mild panic attack....

• Like 1

I believe she answered THAT one on this morning's TCM dedication to Lucille: I believe Lucille came back-stage at Carol's broadway show wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy back when - Carol KNEW she was in audience; had a mild panic attack....

I know sweetie, she's told that story more often than Death of a salesman's had performances on Broadway! It was the second night of a show i was in called Once Upon a Mattress . . . i saw her in the audience, flaming red hair . . . .

I know sweetie, she's told that story more often than Death of a salesman's had performances on Broadway! It was the second night of a show i was in called Once Upon a Mattress . . . i saw her in the audience, flaming red hair . . . .

Well -- hold on to your hat! -- the Lucy meeting was one of the first stories out of the gate:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/11/carol-burnett-and-lucille_n_1088820.html

• 2 months later...

Well -- hold on to your hat! -- the Lucy meeting was one of the first stories out of the gate:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/11/carol-burnett-and-lucille_n_1088820.html

Wow, what a great story, dun't thin i've ever heard that one before . . . that's the great thing about old age and senility, the stories always sound new. :mred::hlLOL:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...