Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HarryCarter

Finding Lucy Interviews

Recommended Posts

PBS had uploaded raw footage from interviews from various American Masters documentaries; among them is Finding Lucy. Included are Fred Ball, Van Johnson, Doris Singleton, Robert Osborne, Dick Martin, Bill Asher, Emily Daniels, and more. 

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/archive/episodes/26

There are interviews with Carol Burnett, Betty White, and lots of other famous names from other American Masters segments. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve watched the Fred Ball, Doris Singleton, Robert Osborne, and Van Johnson interviews so far. It’s clear they are just trying to get soundbites out of these interviewees, so some things aren’t as detailed as I would have hoped for. 
 

The Fred Ball interview was very special, of course. It’s great to hear about their various living situations. I don’t think he’s right 100% of the time, but it’s fantastic to get more detail on all of this. Like Cleo, Fred is adamant that Lucille was not present at the Erickson shooting. It’s so strange since Mrs. Erickson testified in court that Lucy was the one who ran to her and told her Warner had been shot. 
 

Although Gary’s name is only mentioned once, it’s clear that Fred felt that he caused a distance between him and his sister. Earlier, Fred said that he thought Lucy shouldn’t have done her later TV series, but didn’t elaborate. I thought the inference was because of Gary’s involvement. Fred says that Lucy discussed with him in later years that she was still in love with Desi.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for sharing. This is exciting to have the raw footage available. It’s amazing what small segments only wound up used. 

Were Carol’s comments taken from a different interview she’d done? Or have they not made all available? I don’t see Bob and Madelyn on the current list either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Thanks so much for sharing. This is exciting to have the raw footage available. It’s amazing what small segments only wound up used. 

Were Carol’s comments taken from a different interview she’d done? Or have they not made all available? I don’t see Bob and Madelyn on the current list either.

Not all are available for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are wonderful. I got through a few last night. If you don't want to listen under the video is the transcript. I was able to copy and paste for reading. There are misspellings as the program used didn't quite understand some stuff, mainly anything with Desi's name.

This is now the second time Fred said Lucy wasn't at the shooting and I have 2 places Celo says it too. I truly think they got her to testify because she was older. She may could have shown up later that day when things were crazy and just not at the actual shooting.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

These are wonderful. I got through a few last night. If you don't want to listen under the video is the transcript. I was able to copy and paste for reading. There are misspellings as the program used didn't quite understand some stuff, mainly anything with Desi's name.

This is now the second time Fred said Lucy wasn't at the shooting and I have 2 places Celo says it too. I truly think they got her to testify because she was older. She may could have shown up later that day when things were crazy and just not at the actual shooting.

 

 

 

 

I would believe that, but the papers reported that Mrs. Erickson testified in court that Lucille Ball was the one who ran to her house and informed her her son was shot. She had to have been there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I would believe that, but the papers reported that Mrs. Erickson testified in court that Lucille Ball was the one who ran to her house and informed her her son was shot. She had to have been there. 

Now thats a mystery. I wonder why Fred and Cleo are so sure she wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got through the Maury interview. I really don't understand this guy. He seemes to have loved her but then just tells these crazy stories about Lucy being so mean and sort of nutts, really.

His stories just don't match up a lot of the times with what others tell. Yes the general controlling, perfectionist stuff matches but my gosh. He paints a picture of a really mixed up lady but that he to his dying day was loyal to her but treated him and others poorly. I don't get it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Just got through the Maury interview. I really don't understand this guy. He seemes to have loved her but then just tells these crazy stories about Lucy being so mean and sort of nutts, really.

His stories just don't match up a lot of the times with what others tell. Yes the general controlling, perfectionist stuff matches but my gosh. He paints a picture of a really mixed up lady but that he to his dying day was loyal to her but treated him and others poorly. I don't get it.

Haven't watched this yet (now I REALLY want to) but from my limited awareness and exposure to the man, he seems to have been, for whatever reasons, in large part what we back in the day described as basically, " a bitter old queen"! :HALKING: That may be harsh, but it's just my opinion and as I think I've said elsewhere here that I happened upon a little "circle" of participants at one of the Loving Lucy conventions (probably after one of the panels were over), which included Thompson and Herb Kenwith and their glittery gloves were off!! (I wish I could remember some exact examples of what they said but it's just been too long and my memory is worse all the time!) I would theorize that it was largely because after years of loyalty and being "one of the family" at the outset, that the way he was let go was perhaps unexpected and certainly hurtful, thus his conflicted feelings about her later in life?? I dunno, wasn't there, just trying to put some puzzle pieces together... but trust and believe, it seems many old gay men don't need much reason to be bitter and hypercritical, especially if they find themselves ending up alone in their Golden Years (I don't know whether he was partnered or single) and the older I get (and feel)...I kinda get it!! I'm not excusing certain behavior but....more and more, I get it. 😧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly he even brings up being at the conventions and he also talks about getting fired.

I can see what your talking about in places in this interview. And bitter would be a good description but still not over the lady. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Oddly he even brings up being at the conventions and he also talks about getting fired.

I can see what your talking about in places in this interview. And bitter would be a good description but still not over the lady. 

Re: still not over her... well...given his significant place and contribution to HER most significant, groundbreaking etc. etc. part of her life career-wise, I suppose (and on some different level from my own experience, personally relate to his conflicted feelings...) I understand feeling betrayed somewhat given what they achieved together... and being summarily fired after decade plus of association ....just an aside, but it seems by that point (mid-60s) she became much harsher (maybe even brutal??) in some of her executive decisions and I sometimes wonder if tht was partly because she was "a woman in a man's [business] world" and felt she had to be more assertive to be taken seriously..? I dunno....but I think taking over Desilu and having to helm it hardened her a bit and made some of her decisions more and more "business" based and less "charitable"...(that's not quite the right word, hope the meaning is conveyed but not sure what the exact right word should be!). 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...