The Eldest Surviving Lucy Co-Stars

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The earliest evidence of her existence is roughly 1918. She disagrees.

I have Janet Waldo as 2/4/1918; which probably came from IMDb

So, I went over to Wiki (they say 2/4/20) and found this interesting entry:

Waldo's mother, Jane Althea Blodgett, was a singer trained at the Boston Conservatory of Music, and her father, Benjamin Franklin Waldo, was a descendant of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Her sister, Elisabeth Waldo (born June 18, 1918), is a leading authority on pre-Columbian music and an award-winning composer-violinist who appeared in the film Song of Mexico (1945).[3]T

THEREFORE, if she has a sister born June 1918, she could not possibly have been born in Febrtuary of that year; so, I guess I shall change my information to the 1920 date suggested by shane

Janet's year of birth was always listed as 1924 for decades then the 1918 showed up somewhere; wouldn't be surprised if it's an "Ann Miller story" about having to fib to be older to work as an adult at the beginning (made her film debut in 1939) but whatever the year, it's wonderful she's still with us, always loved her voice work in Hanna-Barbera cartoons when I was a child (Penelope Pitstop and Judy Jetson rocked!) and have been enjoying her old radio shows from the 1940's online lately.  Andbtw  HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANET WALDO!!!

Discounting those born in 1925 - a mere 90 years of age; we have these [please let me know if any have passed away that this Lounge has not printed:] - I have them in alpha order, with years of birth:

These are 1920- (which at 1920, make them 95 and still going)......and before:

Jack Briggs, 1920; Frank Cady, 1915; Mary Carlisle, 1912; Emeln Davies, 1916; Nanette Fabray, 1920; Olivia deHavilland, 1916; Kirk Douglas, 1916; June Foray, 1917; Jerry Maren, 1920, Michelle Morgan, 1920; Barbara Morison, 1914; Maureen O'Hara, 1920; Nehemiah Persoff, 1919; Janet Waldo, 1920; Joseph Wiseman, 1918, William Woodson, 1917; and Alan Young, 1919.... :fabrary: 

Jack Briggs, 1920;  Mary Carlisle, 1914 [iMDb]; Emeln Davies, 1916; Nanette Fabray, 1920; Olivia deHavilland, 1916; Kirk Douglas, 1916; June Foray, 1917; Jerry Maren, 1920, Michelle Morgan, 1920; Patricia Morison, 1915; Maureen O'Hara, 1920; Nehemiah Persoff, 1919; Janet Waldo, 1920; Joseph Wiseman, 1918, William Woodson, 1917; and Alan Young, 1919.... :fabrary: 

Had Frank Cady as deceased; had never gone over and taken him off my alives listing....THANKS for the heads up; AND...it's Patricia Morison still alive, born 1915 - again, thanks for the heads up for Patricia.  Loving you, JK

Patricia is being fete'd soon for her 100th birthday.  (Carole Cook told me she was going). She still performs annually at the STAGE LA show.  She's in a wheelchair and sings sitting down.  Her soprano is only slightly shaky, but she's 100 after all!   One year she closed the first act and got tremendous applause which let up a little, then continued on and on.  Patricia was loving it, but the truth is that the curtain was being lowered and got snagged on something.  I hope nobody told her that later because she seemed to genuinely overwhelmed.

Are you telling me that OUR Barbara Morrison:  the hauty  Mrs's. Winkler, Walker, size 14-plus Mrs. Murdock and loose-moraled gold-digger (who has the fur to prove it) from "fights the System"   is STILL with us at 101???

And that this "little old lady from Pasadena" was actually 3 years younger than the spirited Mrs. Carmichael?

Though "Subsitute Secretary" ties with "Flies to London" and "Dean Martin" as my favorite Lucy Show from Califronia Carmichael years, Lucy pulling off doubling for  Mrs. Winkler was one of her least convincing impersonations. That anyone fell for it even for a second is a real believability stretch but it's such a great episode, WHO CARES?  IMO the last great Lucy Show..."Sub" aired in January and it was all downhill for the rest of the season, one that started out very promisingly.  There's not one 6th season episode I'm wild about, except "Lucy and Viv Reminisce" but that is for the 1st season clips.

Overlooking the fact the Lucy looks and sounds nothing like Barbara is like "Meets the Burtons".....critics raved about the episode when it was first on (and in fact, Bob and Madelyn got a writing emmy nomination when they were really just rehashing old material, but hey....they only had a few days to write it), but nobody noted that it's improbable Lucy Carter does not know her plumber is Richard Burton, especially when she's gone to the hotel specifically to catch a glimpse of him.  EVEN IF, he's wearing the VERY convincing disguise:  overalls that say "Sam the Plumber".

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Lucy's Dance, Girl, Dance costar Mary Carlisle turns 102 today!

Here's a video from a couple years ago, three weeks before her 100th birthday, being entertained by a very talented musician, Adam Swanson.  There's a little bit of chitchat here and there, including some recollections of Bing Crosby, but it's mostly Ms. Carlisle being serenaded by some great ragtime piano playing. 

• 1 month later...

Have Gene Reynolds and Mary Ellen Kay (Mr. and Mrs. Taylor from "Lucy Hates to Leave") ever participated in any of the festivals?  Gene Reynolds will be 94 in April; Mary Ellen Kay is 87.  It would be interesting to hear their memories (if they have any) given that they both appeared in the same episode.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0721728/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0443135/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived