Cara Williams has died

Neil

Cara Williams died on the 9th at the age of 96.  Most of you are too young to know who she was.  Her big "hit" TV series was "Pete & Gladys" that ran from 1960 to 1962.  72 episodes that CBS ran in the morning from 1962 to at least 1964.  The shortest-run sitcom CBS ever gave the 5-day/week morning airing.  Cara was nominated for Best Comedy Actress Emmy.  

Over the years of the 60s, many newcomers were touted as being "the next Lucille Ball".  I don't say this lightly: Cara came within a (red)hair of Lucy.  She was the only one who came close.  P&G did well enough to be renewed for a second season on Monday night but when Lucy decided to return, I guess CBS figured the one redhead was enough and canceled P&G despite respectable ratings.   Schiller & Weiskopf wrote a number of P&G's.  Gale Gordon appeared as Pete's Uncle Paul in several episodes.  It was one of those single-camera laugh track sitcoms that didn't have the class & spontaneity of Lucy's shows.  But Cara was wonderful.   CBS gave her her own series "The Cara Williams Show" in 1964.  Despite getting a plum time slot after The Beverly Hillbillies & Dick Van Dyke, it only lasted one season.  And that was pretty much the end of Cara's career that I know of.  She was just 40.  Strangely she showed up on Rhoda 10 years later playing a thankless part: the secretary at Joe's office.  

I had the fortunate experience of spending an afternoon with Cara, sitting next to her at one of those Hollywood Autograph shows just a few years ago.  She had stories to tell and I was all ears!  Almost everybody who worked with her described her as "difficult".  

P&G had scant syndication and no official DVD release.  I keep hoping it will show up on MeTV or one of the other old-TV channels.  There are a few eps on youtube but not any of those that stick in my memory as being LOL-funny.

Here's a P&G compilation I put together a while back.  I used clips from the few episodes available.

• Like 1