What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

Ricky's Old Girl Friend

:lucy1: Yes, well, besides those, there were just a few big flaming romances that I've had. Let's see.  Billy, Maury, Jess, and Jerry, Bob and Bennett and George and Phil, Martin and Danny, Argyle and Bud and Wilbur, and Noble and Carl, Frank and Henry. That was in high school. Uh, in Junior College, there was Johnny and Kenny--

Ricky's Old Girl Friend

:lucy1: Yes, well, besides those, there were just a few big flaming romances that I've had. Let's see.  Billy, Maury, Jess, and Jerry, Bob and Bennett and George and Phil, Martin and Danny, Argyle and Bud and Wilbur, and Noble and Carl, Frank and Henry. That was in high school. Uh, in Junior College, there was Johnny and Kenny--

Hope maury told her he was gay.

"Ethel's Birthday" is a gem from start to finish with all four in top form, a tight script and believable action (except for the binocular breaking, I suppose; and binocular-breaker crying--when he wasn't in the previous shot).  It's another one that except for binocular-breaker, it's just those 4 actors.    What impressed me this time is the "Over the Teacups" scene we hear.  It's actually a very engaging play and extremely well acted.  I think the male actor is John Emery but don't know who the female is.  Whoever she is, she gives a great performance.  The play is very well written and a perfect catalyst for bringing Lucy and Ethel back together.  But if "Teacups" opens with this hugely emotional scene, where does it go from there?  Anyone?  (I'm speaking directly to our budding scripters).

In a shades of "Lucy Plays Cleopatra" casting move, if the Wednesday Afternoon Fine Arts League decided to put on "Teacups", Lucy would get the lead naturally and grandly cast Ethel as Marie Van Sleet.  (not sure I got the name right).

Ethel: I happen to know Marie Van Sleet DIES before the play even starts.

Lucy: But it's a very key role.  The play can't start without you.

• Like 1

​The Operetta

Hands down in my top ten all time favorites. I actually watch this one more than Job Switching. I was shocked that this is the has the lowest IMDb rating of the entire series (5.1/10)! Is this considered bad? Maybe the music turns people off or something.

Some of my favorite moments from the episode:

• Fred's costume mix up
  • Ethel and Lucy's auditions
  • The Pleasant Peasant Girls 
  • The final part of "Lily of The Valley" Tell 'em not to dilly dally!
  • We like to drink drink drink drink drink drink drink drink drink drink drink
  • Myra Marsh's brilliant line reads
  • The whole rhyme scheme of The Good Squire Quinn song
  • Lucy's ad lib encounter with one of the PPGs about the men backstage. "It bouououououououounced!" "It came back?"
  • While unrealistic, the sequence of the men who take away everything is hilarious. I love how Viv keeps going with the show.

I got to thinking the other night, were Lucy and Ricky college graduates? My hunch is no but they at least attended. Well Lucy anyways. As Lucy rattles off her past boyfriends she says "then in junior college there was".

Ricky had his Universidad De la Habana sweater. Now that doesn't mean he actually attended.

I got to thinking the other night, were Lucy and Ricky college graduates? My hunch is no but they at least attended. Well Lucy anyways. As Lucy rattles off her past boyfriends she says "then in junior college there was".

Ricky had his Universidad De la Habana sweater. Now that doesn't mean he actually attended.

They probably didn't, come to think of it. Neither one really has a degree in anything. On that note, how about The Mertzes?

"Hollywood Anniversary"----sheer perfection.  The ending brings tears to my eyes.  It's one of Desi's best (if not THE best).   It's amazing the RANGE this series had. On this DVD alone, we have "HA" AND "Lucy Gets In Pictures".  I want anyone who labels ILL as a "slapstick" comedy to watch this episode.   I think if you divided episodes between what is possible in real life (this episode) and what is not (having an elephant in the bedroom), I would say you'd have more possible than not.  Of course there's that grey area in between: like setting her nose on fire.  Even if they included the deleted scene, is putty flammable?  By the way, speaking of deleted scene why would Ricky have putty in his make up kit anyway?  Who was he?  Emmett Kelley?

I'm watching Off To Florida on an obscure station. The episode description is unusual: "Lucy and Ethel bum a ride to Florida with a health food nut." LOL I guess whoever wrote that doesn't love buttered grass.

I find that episode summary hilarious. It points out the most unfunny and un-instrumental plot points. It'd be like describing Job Switching as "Lucy tries to bribe a bank teller. Later, she and Ethel meet a Forewoman who doesn't have room for levity."

"Lucy Goes to Monte Carlo"

:bill1: " ...uh well, you know that money isn't everything. and, you also know, uh, that anyone can make a mistake."

:bill1: " You remember how I told you back in Rome that we'd cleared $3,000.

:bill1: Well, I checked the figures again, and, uh when I jiggled the paper, uh for what I thought were decimal points fell off. Must've been dirt or something. So, we, uh, didn't quite make $3,000.

:bill1: "That's full of Ethel's unmentionables..........." 

:bill1: Holy smoke, where did that bundle of cabbage come from?"

"Lucy Goes to Monte Carlo"

:bill1: " ...uh well, you know that money isn't everything. and, you also know, uh, that anyone can make a mistake."

:bill1: " You remember how I told you back in Rome that we'd cleared $3,000.

:bill1: Well, I checked the figures again, and, uh when I jiggled the paper, uh for what I thought were decimal points fell off. Must've been dirt or something. So, we, uh, didn't quite make $3,000.

:bill1: "That's full of Ethel's unmentionables..........." 

:bill1: Holy smoke, where did that bundle of cabbage come from?"

I love the tangled plots in this one. It reminds me of an episode of Frasier.

The Vancing with Dan Johnson is just one of the best episodes of the entire series, saw it tonight along with Lucy becomes Ricky's agent.  The Van Johnson ep is a gem from start to finish, Lucy has her face to face with Van the way she did with Bill Holden and it never fails to make me laugh.  This is the one where we see Lucy Ricardo finally showing off her talent and looking incredibly beautiful to boot.  Brock:  I just have to send a nasty e mail to Comedy Gold telling them to a) show the eps in order, the Johnson ep should come before the Harpo one, not after and B) they should remove the out of place Mr and Mrs tv show ep from the Hollywood eps, it obviously does not belong there, M O R O N S !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Missed my two ILL's at noon so checked to see if i should leave the DVD and go watch them at 8pm.  When i found out they were The Pass a ports and Bon Voyage, i just had to watch.  The Passports has one of my all time favorite Lucy scenes in any of her shows.  When she is too sleepy as she has taken too many seasick pills at the passport office after her many rides on the Staten Island Ferry, Ricky is slapping her to wake her up to take the oath and she wakes to find him hitting her and she goes to hit him with her fist, even Desi cracks up at the scene, a real gem that shows off her many comedic gifts.  Then in Bon Voyage, it's more of classic Lucy as she rides in that helicopter to land on the ship, again, one of my faves of the entire series.

Missed my two ILL's at noon so checked to see if i should leave the DVD and go watch them at 8pm.  When i found out they were The Pass a ports and Bon Voyage, i just had to watch.  The Passports has one of my all time favorite Lucy scenes in any of her shows.  When she is too sleepy as she has taken too many seasick pills at the passport office after her many rides on the Staten Island Ferry, Ricky is slapping her to wake her up to take the oath and she wakes to find him hitting her and she goes to hit him with ehr fist, even Desi cracks up at the scene, a real gem that shows off her many comedic gifts.  Then in Bon Voyage, it's more of classic Lucy as she rides in that helicopter to land on the ship, again, one of my faves of the entire series.

They showed the clip of Lucy and the boat in the 50th anniversary special or something, and that was my only exposure to that episode for a long time so I get wildly nostalgic whenever I see that scene.