MONALISAISMONALUCY

What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

Neil    1,314
On 2/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Lucy Misses the Mertzes - A touching episode, but rather slow in pace. It's rare to see such a quiet episode with so little action. I do like how it cements the closeness of their friendships, though.

Lucy Gets Chummy With the Neighbors - A good introduction to the Ramseys, and (IMO) the best of the new furniture episodes. I wish Frank Nelson had made more appearances as Ralph, he was quite good in the part. Lucy did have a point - their NYC furniture did not suit that house. 

These are both great ones.  An I Love Lucy episode didn't need a big physical comedy scene to be memorable.  I know of no other series that was able to combine touching and  wildly hilarious episodes, sometimes the same one.  (Some might convincingly argue "All in the Family" did it, but their serious episodes could be a bit ham-handed IMO.)  

Before the days of reference books and episode guides, sometimes you would only catch an episode here and there.  And these syndicated prints sometimes unceremoniously lopped off the first 5 minutes.    I remember seeing one of these moving to the country episodes and assumed the Mertzes were being written out of the show.   Adjusted for inflation, Lucy's furniture expenditure was over $31,000!  No wonder she collapsed in that rocking chair, one of my favorite bits in that episode.   The premise of Lucy mistaking stock numbers for prices was very clever.  

Poor Ethel.after 15 years of being a part of the excitement Lucy brought to her life,  then being left with lumpy, sags-in-the-wrong-places Fred, I would cry too!  When reference books first started being published, Frank Nelson was listed as a 1957 regular despite the fact his Ralph Ramsey appeared in only TWO episodes.  (Am I right?).  Bobbie the Bellboy appeared in more!

"Mot": Were there many "new furniture" episodes?  I only remember one other one. 

Mot Morenzi    1,441

Let me see. There was the phone giveaway episode in season 2. Then we had Lucy Wants New Furniture the following year, and she gave her old stuff to the Mertzes. 

Neil    1,314

Mot inspired me to rewatch the episodes "Misses the Mertzes" and "Chummy with Neighbors" (also "Hates to Leave").   The bit is "Misses" about just missing each other at the train station was done again in "No More Double Dates" and "Serves a Summons" from TLS season 1 and 2.  I think it works each time.  Very well choreographed.  I can't think of another time it was done.   (I'm not counting in this category where people are in the same house but don't know the other is there like "Summer Vacation" ---a bit repeated in "The Carol Channing Show" pilot).