Jump to content
MONALISAISMONALUCY

What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Along with, "oh I'm going to need more than 15 minutes for that."

Her delivery turns that line into an absolute winner. Her comedic timing is so beautifully honed here, especially compared to the radio episode "Schedule" was based on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Face to Face / The Ricardos Are Interviewed

For me, this is the best of the post-Hollywood, pre-Europe episodes. The plot is solid and all four regulars get spotlight moments. What makes this one stand out is the number of scenes Fred and Ethel have alone together, something that didn't happen very often. The Mertzes really are equal to the Ricardos in this one. This is probably my favorite of the Ricardo/Mertz fights, and one of the best motivated fights at that.

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. I've never seen the actual Edward R. Murrow, but everyone said Elliot Reid did a spot-on impersonation. I'll have to look the real one up.

(Does anyone know how this episode came to have two official titles?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mot Morenzi said:

 

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. 

The thing I like about it is it's very real. I bet you could totally think of a time you were at a party, dinner, social event trying to be all sophisticated and ended up putting too much in your mouth, struggling with some too complicated finger food and trying to look all cool and calm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Amateur Hour- Haven't watched this one in awhile. Working with kids every day, I find Lucy's line delivery of "All right, sit down!" totally relatable!

Ricky Loses His Voice- The musical performances in this one are among my favorite of the series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

Face to Face / The Ricardos Are Interviewed

For me, this is the best of the post-Hollywood, pre-Europe episodes. The plot is solid and all four regulars get spotlight moments. What makes this one stand out is the number of scenes Fred and Ethel have alone together, something that didn't happen very often. The Mertzes really are equal to the Ricardos in this one. This is probably my favorite of the Ricardo/Mertz fights, and one of the best motivated fights at that.

Lucy's routine with the melting chocolates is an underrated bit of hers. I think it's right up there with the best of her work. I've never seen the actual Edward R. Murrow, but everyone said Elliot Reid did a spot-on impersonation. I'll have to look the real one up.

(Does anyone know how this episode came to have two official titles?)

I haven't seen this one in a while.  Isn't this the episode where Ricky says he's 5'11 1/2" tall?  Do we know how tall Desi actually was?  Lucy was tall for a woman at 5/6 1/2" (though seemed taller). With heels, they seemed almost the same height.   I don't think Lucy was wearing 5" heels!   And isn't there some mention of how gooey the chocolates are before they go on the air?  When the writers put in one little reference as a set-up, it really makes the ensuing bit play much better.   Those little touches.

Though there are always great scenes in the episodes, I'm not as comfortable with plots that center around the Ricardos and Mertzes in an all-out war.  Like "The Courtroom": Yes, Ricky ruined their TV but  the generous Ricardos just GAVE it to them. (probably spent $2000 in 2020 dollars)  Fred kicking in the Ricardo's screen seems a little severe.    I wonder if TVs were really that touchy back then.  I'm talking about the adjustment of the picture.  I'm sure they rarely exploded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3/7/20:

"Lucy Gets In Pictures" (followed by Dick Van Dyke Show episode Where Did I Come From? and Mister Ed episode "Ed the Donkey") (also preceded by Green Acres episode "Guess Who's Not Going To the Luau?", The Munsters episode "Herman, the Master Spy",  I Dream of Jeannie episode "Invisible House for Sale", & Bewitched episode "Samantha Loses Her Voice")

"Harpo Marx"

 

 

This morning (3/11/20):

I Love Lucy Superstar Special #2 (featuring "Lucy Visits Grauman's" & "Lucy & John Wayne") (followed by The Brady Bunch episode "Love and the Older Man") (also preceded by Happy Days episodes "All the Way", "Fonzie Drops In", "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", "Richie's Flip Side", "Fonzie Moves In" & "They Call It Potsie Love")

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 4:04 PM, Harrison said:

3/7/20:

"Lucy Gets In Pictures" (followed by Dick Van Dyke Show episode Where Did I Come From? and Mister Ed episode "Ed the Donkey") (also preceded by Green Acres episode "Guess Who's Not Going To the Luau?", The Munsters episode "Herman, the Master Spy",  I Dream of Jeannie episode "Invisible House for Sale", & Bewitched episode "Samantha Loses Her Voice")

"Harpo Marx"

 

 

This morning (3/11/20):

I Love Lucy Superstar Special #2 (featuring "Lucy Visits Grauman's" & "Lucy & John Wayne") (followed by The Brady Bunch episode "Love and the Older Man") (also preceded by Happy Days episodes "All the Way", "Fonzie Drops In", "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", "Richie's Flip Side", "Fonzie Moves In" & "They Call It Potsie Love")

 

Quite a variety of classic sitcoms! Are they aired in this order by a particular "Retro" TV cable channel (e.g. Antenna TV, COZI, MeTV etc. etc.?)? I'm kind of out of the loop on their respective current lineups....and I thought Hallmark was the only current cable channel airing ILL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:42 PM, JoeySoCal said:

Quite a variety of classic sitcoms! Are they aired in this order by a particular "Retro" TV cable channel (e.g. Antenna TV, COZI, MeTV etc. etc.?)? I'm kind of out of the loop on their respective current lineups....and I thought Hallmark was the only current cable channel airing ILL.

 

I have a vast collection of classic television on DVD (mostly just sitcoms and cartoons). It's like a hobby of mine. Anyways, every now and then I try to mimic line-ups from past classic television networks (i.e. Disney Channel, TBS, Nickelodeon/Nick-at-Nite, TV Land), memorable TV blocks or special events like TGIF, Block Party Summer, Lucy: The Queen of the Comedy/Whole Lotta Lucy, The Disney Afternoon/Block Party, SNICK, Fox Kids, Saturday Morning Cartoons, Twice as Nice, Instant Gratification Sundays/To Be Continued Fridays, Nick-at-Nite-mares, Merry-Thon, Boomeroyality, First Things First/Last Things Last, Box Sets, Casey Kasem's Classic TV Countdown, Hooterville Saturdays, etc.

 

In regards to airplay of I Love Lucy, it airs on MeTV, Decades (sister network to MeTV), and The Hallmark Channel.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, Luvsbway said:

I read this in a Talk magazine (out of print mag) article from 1999.  Lucy in the late 80's was toying with writing a book and was wondering if she should tell stories about her friends and colleagues or not.  Sort of dish the dirt, or actually use real names and not vague references.  She thought what the hell most of them are dead now anyways.  Well she mentions this to Lucie and Lucie says that maybe she should talk to a therapist to get through some of her feelings and get an understanding on what she would like to say.  Well Lucy just flips out and no way, no how is going to see a shrink.  In her time if that got in the papers you were seeing a shrink everyone thought you were crazy.  Well Lucie admits she was talking to one and Lucy just hit the roof.  This was apparently in Palm Springs.  Lucie said she had to pack up and take the kids and leave.  They didn't talk for awhile.

 

 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, Neil said:

I appreciate Joaquin's somber sincerity, but now I feel guilty putting milk in my coffee!

No one likes to think about the transition from walking-around animal to food on our table.  But considering the source,  I can't order veal or lamb chops.

 

On 3/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, Luvsbway said:

This is all I've seen.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/apparel-accessories/babalu-i-love-lucy-duets-unique-vintage-collection

Updated listed of items is in that link too.

I heard through the grapevine that the pieces are beautiful. 

Well I'll save a bit of money as I do not wear denim. "Little Ricky Blouse and True-Blue Jeans."

 

 

 

On 3/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, HarryCarter said:

A quick, but unusual interview with Lucy at LaGuardia Airport during the My Favorite Husband era.

 

I know she has to be cold, but the fiddling with her clothes and digging through her purse is a preview of later Lucy being interviewed. 

 

On 3/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

My cousin and his wife recently had a baby, and I was most delighted to learn they named her Vivian :) 

 

On 3/23/2020 at 4:02 PM, Luvsbway said:

I do see a weekly Betty White is ok post right now. How is Dick Van Dyke?

 

On 3/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, Freddie2 said:

Very cool- especially Bernie Kopell and the Carole/Tom connection. I enjoy Middleditch but have only ever seen Sara Rue on the one season comeback show that Reba did with Lily Tomlin a few years back. I’m generally wary of Chuck Lorre shows but if it makes it to air I’ll give it a watch. It’s too bad they don’t air or stream unsold pilots like they used to. I’d love to see Carol Burnett’s show from a year or two ago.

 

On 3/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, Luvsbway said:

When I did my watch every episode in order. The tv fights by the comedy hours and harshness was something I noted. Mexico has it as well. And it wasn't just Desi but Lucy came across as harsh too. 58' things were going downhill. Real life anger had to tinge some of those comedic fights. They both seemed to not be able to bring the lightness. You knew even when the Ricardos fought they still loved each other. The Comedy Hours, I'd be worried for them.

 

52 minutes ago, Harrison said:

 

I have a vast collection of classic television on DVD (mostly just sitcoms and cartoons). It's like a hobby of mine. Anyways, every now and then I try to mimic line-ups from past classic television networks (i.e. Disney Channel, TBS, Nickelodeon/Nick-at-Nite, TV Land), memorable TV blocks or special events like TGIF, Block Party Summer, Lucy: The Queen of the Comedy/Whole Lotta Lucy, The Disney Afternoon/Block Party, SNICK, Fox Kids, Saturday Morning Cartoons, Twice as Nice, Instant Gratification Sundays/To Be Continued Fridays, Nick-at-Nite-mares, Merry-Thon, Boomeroyality, First Things First/Last Things Last, Box Sets, Casey Kasem's Classic TV Countdown, Hooterville Saturdays, etc.

 

In regards to airplay of I Love Lucy, it airs on MeTV, Decades (sister network to MeTV), and The Hallmark Channel.   

...and CBS All Access (not free) and Hulu.... 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today (3/28/20):

Episodes 1-4: Lucy Thinks Ricky Is Trying To Murder Her, The Girls Want To Go To a Nightclub, Be a Pal & The Diet

 

Late Evening (3/28/20):

Episodes 69-72: Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress, Equal Rights, Baby Pictures and Lucy Tells the Truth

 

 

Early this Morning (3/29/20):

Episodes 37-38: The Handcuffs and The Operetta (followed by The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episode, Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana)

 

 

3/30/20 (early, early morning):

Episodes 74-75: "Redecorating the Mertzes' Apartment" and "Too Many Crooks"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Lucy Meets Orson Welles last night and it never occurred to me that, with the deletion of the scene with the Mertzes’ attempting Shakespeare, Fred only has a single line in the episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday Nite with A Disc(o)

(late) Season 2: 

  • #26 The Ricardos Change Apartments
  • #27  Lucy Is Matchmaker
  • #28  Lucy Wants New Furniture
  • #29  Camping Trip
  • #30  Ricky & Fred Are TV Fans
  • #31  Never Do Business With Friends

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...