What episodes are you watching on "I Love Lucy"?

I had the opportunity to watch some of my ILL Blu-Rays on one of those six-foot, curved TVs; the really 'spensive kind. It looked less amazing than I thought it would. It makes me appreciate Freund, Hickox, et al's work all the more. The show really was shot beautifully to be viewed on a smaller TV screen. Thanks to the upscaling from the high-tech setup, the Blu Rays, which look as clear as possible on my TV, actually turned out to have a lot of little specks and spots poking around. Later in the night, we watched Dancing Star/Harpo Marx (one of my buddies who was over is a big Marx Brothers fan and had wanted to see it) on DVD and it looked embarrassingly fuzzy. Oddly enough, none of this struck me as noticeable for the colorized movie theater engagement. Maybe you don't gotta have glorious Technicolor, breathtaking CinemaScope and stereophonic sound.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

I had the opportunity to watch some of my ILL Blu-Rays on one of those six-foot, curved TVs; the really 'spensive kind. It looked less amazing than I thought it would. It makes me appreciate Freund, Hickox, et al's work all the more. The show really was shot beautifully to be viewed on a smaller TV screen. Thanks to the upscaling from the high-tech setup, the Blu Rays, which look as clear as possible on my TV, actually turned out to have a lot of little specks and spots poking around. Later in the night, we watched Dancing Star/Harpo Marx (one of my buddies who was over is a big Marx Brothers fan and had wanted to see it) on DVD and it looked embarrassingly fuzzy. Oddly enough, none of this struck me as noticeable for the colorized movie theater engagement. Maybe you don't gotta have glorious Technicolor, breathtaking CinemaScope and stereophonic sound.

Which DVD did you watch Harpo Marx on, the season 4 set or the colorised disc? The newer ILL discs use higher compression than the earlier ones, so the picture isn’t as sharp. 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

Which DVD did you watch Harpo Marx on, the season 4 set or the colorised disc? The newer ILL discs use higher compression than the earlier ones, so the picture isn’t as sharp. 

It was the original DVD. I was the only real nerd about that stuff in the room, so nobody else really noticed.

4 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

It was the original DVD. I was the only real nerd about that stuff in the room, so nobody else really noticed.

I understand, I’m particular about those things as well. It drives me nuts how many people out there don’t set their televisions to the right aspect ratio, and are happy to watch pictures that are completely distorted. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 5:16 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

I understand, I’m particular about those things as well. It drives me nuts how many people out there don’t set their televisions to the right aspect ratio, and are happy to watch pictures that are completely distorted. 

You get used to it.  When I put the TV to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio now, everyone looks too thin!

• 5 weeks later...

A question for the experts: when does Little Ricky's name first officially come up? Today I realized that I don't remember a scene where they decide to name the baby after his father. I don't recall it happening in "Lucy Goes to The Hospital", maybe in one of the wraparound segments done for the flashback episodes?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

A question for the experts: when does Little Ricky's name first officially come up? Today I realized that I don't remember a scene where they decide to name the baby after his father. I don't recall it happening in "Lucy Goes to The Hospital", maybe in one of the wraparound segments done for the flashback episodes?

Good question. I think the first time the baby’s name was mentioned was in the flashback opening of The Audition rerun. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Building a Bar-B-Q
I like this one, but find it a bit stressful. Also, I’m noticing more and more how beautiful season six looks. I don’t know if it was brighter lighting, different filmstock, or a combination of both, but the image is almost platinum-like in appearance, compared to the greyer look of some earlier seasons. Unfortunately, this look didn’t carry over to the hour shows.

Visitor from Italy
I don’t rewatch this one that much, but it’s quite charming. Jay Novello was always an excellent guest. I keep forgetting how good Lucy’s pizza routine is.

Changing the Boys Wardrobe
One of the more loyal “My Favorite Husband” adaptations. For that reason, I can’t help but feel this episode might’ve been better located in the first season. Putting it in the same year as “Men Are Messy” would’ve made more sense, as come season three it’s very out of character to have Ricky be so sloppy. 

Mertz and Kurtz
Another one I tend not to view too often. I’m not wild about the musical act, but the events leading up to it are okay. It may not be to everyone’s tastes, but I enjoy seeing Bill Frawley getting to trot out some of the old standards. My favourite moment is everyone deciding to do the show, and Lucy’s positively gleeful response when she’s allowed to join in. It’s great seeing all of them join forces together. I just wish the show in question had been a bit funnier. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, Brock said:

The other night while watching Lucy’s Bicycle Trip for the first time in a good long while, I had an odd observation. It seems to me the opening scenes at the hotel, as the gang discusses their travel plans, is closest thing we see to Lucille Ball trying the Lucy Carmichael persona on for size. The voice, expressions, mannerisms and attitude she uses here, particularly after coming back from changing her clothes, are much more Carmichael than Ricardo and I can’t recall any of this surfacing again in an ILL/LDCH episode.

I know I’m very late responding to this, but I just viewed the scene in question and see what you mean. It’s subtle, but picturing her with the artichoke cut I could definitely see more Lucy Carmichael in there. 

• 2 weeks later...

New Neighbors has got to be one of my least favourite episodes. No matter how many times I try, I never enjoy it. The plot is very contrived and never truly funny. The only thing I like is seeing the Ricardo’s window being used at the beginning. As well, it’s truly unfair that Lucy gets all the blame at the end, given Ricky and Fred overheard them on the furnace and jumped to the same conclusion. 

Also, the O’Brien apartment is such a dump compared to the other apartments shown in the Mertz building!

• Like 1