What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

Okay, thoughts on my "Skate" rewatch:

For one thing, at first I tried to watch the episode up on Hulu, which has ILL, TLS, and HL all available. To my surprise, they're missing a few episodes here and there, for whatever reason, so I pulled out my DVD. I guess it must have been awhile since I watched TLS on DVD, because the wonderful menu opening really made me smile. Right away I find it funny that Lucy and Viv are schlepping around in pajamas and curlers, yet they're all done up in makeup and blue eye shadow that reminds me of my 8th grade homeroom teacher. This episode isn't the greatest. IMO the second season is better written but way more forgettable than the third- which got the lowest ratings of any TLS season (a shocking 8th place!). Even though it hasn't been broadcast in color yet, there are some nice touches- specifically in the scene at the store where Lucy is in blue and Viv is in red. Speaking of the store, I did some number crunching. The moose calls appear to cost $2.98, or $24.74 in today's money! Viv's bill of $8.50 would be $70.56 and Lucy's, at $59.60, comes out to $494.77! The store's owner, Mr. Carlyle, was 80 years old at the time- making him born in 1884. And on the subject of birthdays, I Googled Sitting Bull and discovered that nobody knows his actual birthday, so who knows what Jerry was on about. 

That is one ugly-ass country club. For such a swanky affair, it looks like a middle school dance. I could practically smell the Axe Body Spray. There's some real visual value that's lost by not having Lucy's scarf billow behind her. I wonder if the music was dubbed in later for editing purposes. It would've been awkward with the scene going on in silence. 

For my money, Viv is the real MVP of the episode. Lucy is great as always, but I found myself enjoying Viv most of all. In the store scene, just look at the way she walks out with that moose head- it's brilliant physical comedy.

Lastly, I actually have my own "Good Skate" kind of story. My senior year of high school, for Halloween I was talked into dressing as Christopher Robin for the day with a group of friends who were doing Winnie The Pooh characters. As we all know, Christopher Robin has red shoes. The only person we knew who had red shoes was my friend's younger brother, a good three or four sizes smaller than me. I went through the seven hour school day wearing them and I can definitely relate to Lucy's distress. My feet weren't exactly swollen, but holy cow were they sore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

IMO the second season is better written but way more forgettable than the third- which got the lowest ratings of any TLS season (a shocking 8th place!).

Interesting perspective. I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. Season Two has been my favourite TLS season for many years, the bulk of my top 10 episodes are from this season, but lately I’ve been gravitating more towards Season Three. There’s a fresher energy to this season, more or a rewatchability factor. Was it down to the change of writers? Perhaps. Can it be chalked up to an increased effort to prove TLS was more than the original writers? Maybe. Vivian wanting to go out with a bang? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brock said:

Interesting perspective. I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. Season Two has been my favourite TLS season for many years, the bulk of my top 10 episodes are from this season, but lately I’ve been gravitating more towards Season Three. There’s a fresher energy to this season, more or a rewatchability factor. Was it down to the change of writers? Perhaps. Can it be chalked up to an increased effort to prove TLS was more than the original writers? Maybe. Vivian wanting to go out with a bang? 

For the most part, I find season three much sillier and far less grounded than season two, but you're right, there is a renewed sense of energy. The Countess arc contains several of my favorite episodes. 

The biggest fly in the ointment is the lack of continuity with the first two years. I wish the new writers hadn't ditched the volunteer fire dept. and all the recurring friends. Their absence is glaring, and what new characters were introduced (Mrs. Valance) lack the development and personal touches that made the likes of Thelma Green and Audrey Simmons memorable.

As well, while Vivian has some wonderful season three moments, I sometimes get the impression that she's just going through the motions. Maybe it has to do with all we've read, but her readiness to leave can sometimes come across as disinterest onscreen...at least to me. Having said that, however, I do think a number of third season episodes gave her more showcase moments than season two, where she was often relegated to the background to make way for Mr. Mooney. Steamboat Bessie being a prime example. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Took advantage of some down time brought on by a snow/ice storm:

"Lucy Buys a Sheep"- Love Lucy and Viv's little harmony while looking for Clementine. 

"Lucy is a Kangaroo for a Day"- This episode shows that Lucy really was a master of her props (water cooler, typewriter, etc...). Notice that partway through the scene of her dress unraveling, her wig has been removed. 

"Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna"- a true classic 

"Lucy's Electric Mattress"- My favorite episode of season one. Lucy and Viv were never better together and the kids got a decent amount of screentime.

"Lucy and Viv are Volunteer Firemen"- My favorite of the Danfield Ladies Volunteer Dept. episodes.

"Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower "- Never gets old.

"Lucy Helps Ken Berry"- Picked an episode from season six that I hadn't watched in ages.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rickylu said:

"Lucy is a Kangaroo for a Day"- This episode shows that Lucy really was a master of her props (water cooler, typewriter, etc...). Notice that partway through the scene of her dress unraveling, her wig has been removed. 

I never noticed that. I'll take that for a spin to look.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, Freddie2 said:

Lastly, I actually have my own "Good Skate" kind of story. My senior year of high school, for Halloween I was talked into dressing as Christopher Robin for the day with a group of friends who were doing Winnie The Pooh characters. As we all know, Christopher Robin has red shoes. The only person we knew who had red shoes was my friend's younger brother, a good three or four sizes smaller than me. I went through the seven hour school day wearing them and I can definitely relate to Lucy's distress. My feet weren't exactly swollen, but holy cow were they sore.

I was hoping this story was going to end with skates at a dance....I love your posts. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Brock said:

When CBS ran The Lucy Show in the morning, they started with the color episodes and included the 30 b/w shows exactly twice.   It was a little jarring to go from "Boss of the Year" to "Waits up for Chris".  (Was this the same series?)  I always preferred when they ran season 2 during the time I could watch: school holidays, summer.   Having no idea about the change of staff between 2 and 3, I always wondered why season 3 did not have the same feel.  It's very uneven.  IMO, the new writers tended to make Lucy a bit harsher, bossier with few, if any tender moments.   Though season 4 was Viv-less, I preferred it to 3.   Season 2 is by far my favorite.  Season 1 was great but seemed to run out of steam (compared to first half) as it progressed.  Was it because of the loss of Desi as Executive Producer?

For ratings trivia buffs, in the 10 seasons  (62-63 to 71-72)  in which TLS and HL made the top 10, it held every end-of-season summary position except  #1, #5 and #7.  Twice at #3, #4 and #6.  Positions in order from TLS season 1 through HL season 4......4,6,8,3,4,2,9,6,3,10  and then 15, 29.   Though season 3 of TLS had the lowest ranking of that series, season 5 actually had the lowest rating (but not by much).    Referencing Freddie2's post about HL's phenomonal 3rd season #3 showing, I hadn't realized it was the only sitcom in the top 10, actually the top 14!   The next one was #15 Mayberry and then from #19 to #22: My 3 Sons, Doris Day, The Smith Family (??  Henry Fonda?), Mary Tyler Moore and then "Partridge Family at #25 and no more sitcoms in the top 30.   Other than Mary's 1st season, it was NOT a good year for TV sitcoms.   Personal taste irony: the highest ranking season of both TLS and HL are my least favorite seasons of each series!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today a kind of crummy looking public domain print of "Jack Benny's Bank Account" was recommended to me on YouTube, so I decided to watch it. For one thing, it's been awhile since I've had to see any public domain Lucy episodes, so this was not only a little nostalgic, but it also made me realize how good we have it today with such affordable high quality releases. Episodes from seasons 5-6 of TLS always seem to go by really fast. Not that any of her other shows dragged at all, but this era is lighter on plot and the episodes always end sort of abruptly. 

Isn't it amazing how Jack Benny could be so engrained in the public consciousness that a majority of this episode's motivations and laughs come from his persona that exists outside of the series? Take his very first gag, for example: Jack is seen playing the violin, and when the doorbell rings, he walks over and stops his record player, revealing that he was just miming playing the whole time. He then says "I'll be right back, Yascha." It gets mega laughs, but I can't imagine many people today would have any idea why it's so funny. The same goes for Jack's JELL-O tattoo and his line about "tripping over Phil Harris". Lucy's shows usually have pretty timeless humor without many cultural references; even when a popular personality guest stars it usually comes down to "this is a celebrity and Lucy is star struck", which is understandable in any era. However, this Jack Benny episode seems so unique. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Today a kind of crummy looking public domain print of "Jack Benny's Bank Account" was recommended to me on YouTube, so I decided to watch it. For one thing, it's been awhile since I've had to see any public domain Lucy episodes, so this was not only a little nostalgic, but it also made me realize how good we have it today with such affordable high quality releases. Episodes from seasons 5-6 of TLS always seem to go by really fast. Not that any of her other shows dragged at all, but this era is lighter on plot and the episodes always end sort of abruptly. 

Isn't it amazing how Jack Benny could be so engrained in the public consciousness that a majority of this episode's motivations and laughs come from his persona that exists outside of the series? Take his very first gag, for example: Jack is seen playing the violin, and when the doorbell rings, he walks over and stops his record player, revealing that he was just miming playing the whole time. He then says "I'll be right back, Yascha." It gets mega laughs, but I can't imagine many people today would have any idea why it's so funny. The same goes for Jack's JELL-O tattoo and his line about "tripping over Phil Harris". Lucy's shows usually have pretty timeless humor without many cultural references; even when a popular personality guest stars it usually comes down to "this is a celebrity and Lucy is star struck", which is understandable in any era. However, this Jack Benny episode seems so unique. 

In 1967, anyone over 30 (and even younger) would be very familiar with Jack Benny from radio.  There's also a reference to a bear (?) named Carmichael.  I've never understood the popularity of this episode.   I scoured newspaper archives and the TV columnist mentioned "Lucy has had some pretty good shows this season.  Her best was with Jack Benny.  Her worst was with Dennis Day."  I don't agree with either.  The Emmy board nominated this script, the only TLS to ever be so honored.  The 6th season is the only one of TLS I never watch.  There's not one episode I enjoy thoroughly.   Milt gave plenty of work to his old Jack Benny cronies that year.  Besides Benny and Day, there was the Phil Harris episode.  The bank vault tour might have been exciting if you were in the studio audience.  I can take a bit of surreal (although prefer none) but this one is just not funny.  Everything is thrown in: including a gorilla and the tribe of indians!   This is nothing but a Jack Benny Show sketch, already done in various ways on his radio and TV programs many times before.  Much more suited to his show.  Years ago I was watching it with a friend.  When Jack and Lucy are sinking in the quicksand at the end, she said "I don't get it.  DO THEY DIE?"

• Like 1

The past few night I’ve been enjoying the first season of The Lucy Show. Often, I go right to my favorite episodes of a season but I’m watching all the rest this go around.

Lucy Drives A Dump Truck. For being named that, this action only happens in the last ¼ of the episode. The fire department meetings seem to take up the bulk of this episode. Lucy’s wig in this episode is really nice. Very full and lots of nice curls. Top notch job by Irma this week.

Both when Lucy is nervous about giving her speech and about the court martial, her demeanor is very nice. She really makes you feel bad for her. In later Lucy Shows or Here’s Lucy she tended to over do this type of scene but here she is more understated. Even when she pleads to Thelma and Mary Jane. It’s not pushy, just sad.

The phone call among the newspaper stacks is so well done. As the bad news keeps growing Lucy keeps hiding further down in the papers. Great blocking to have that section constructed to allow her to hide from the others yet still be seen by the cameras.  And my favorite little part among the papers is when Thelma finally leaves and says goodbye, all you see is the door open and close and the others says goodbye back. It makes me giggle for some reason.

Once they get to the dump truck scene, I’m annoyed at that cop. Geeze, maybe you might want to help these ladies instead of keep giving them tickets. The episode also ends so abruptly with the cop being buried by the papers. Did they get any more tickets? Did the cop finally take pity on them? How did they get all the papers cleaned up?

So from the time they had all those newspapers stacked in the living room until Don Shapre (nice drop on Lucy’s agent’s name) lets Lucy know she can get rid of them, where do they go? The court martial meeting takes place in a newspaper free living room.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Goes Steady.

I don't know what it is with this episode but I can not make it through the entire thing without falling asleep. I was determined last night to make it through and by the time they were in the tree house I nodded off. I've tired at least the last 5 times I've put this one on to not fall asleep and every damn time.

I think the second half has so little dialogue that it doesn't keep my hearing engaged and if I am a little bit tired I'm gone. I do tend to wake up by the time they get covered in snow. 

The Lucy Show (2/22/20):

"Kiddies Parties, Inc.", "Lucy & Viv Play Softball" and the beginning of "Lucy Gets Locked In the Vault" and then stopped.

Instead, I put on disc 4 of season 2 of Leave it to Beaver. I'm now in the midst of watching disc 4 of season 2 of The Donna Reed Show.

Early this morning before The Lucy Show, I watched a couple of episodes of Step By Step (season 1) with Suzanne Somers (of Three's Company fame) and then switched over to Dennis the Menace (season 4 - last 3 episodes of disc 3). These episodes had our beloved Gale Gordon in them. Nice treat. After that, I watched a DVD of Lassie.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, Freddie2 said:

Back in the good old Public Domain days, I always believed the longstanding rumor that Joe Pesci was a part of the band in the Carol two-parter. Now, in HD, it's pretty obvious that he isn't, but I wonder how that rumor got started. He's still credited on IMDb! 

Even though episodes from the second half of TLS are, as Neil says, sometimes closer to skits than sitcom episodes, they still are ridiculously entertaining. Looking at everything else that was on the air from 1965-68, it's no wonder that the show came closest to ILL's commercial success in spite of an obvious downtick in quality.

I don't know about that. Green Acres, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart and Gilligan's Island were all fresh sitcoms (and obviously in the their prime) during the 1965-1968 seasons. But The Lucy Show had the advantage because of its beloved star and being apart of CBS' Monday night power block since its inception.  The others (with the exception of Bewitched and Green Acres) switched to different days during those 1965-1968 seasons. Thus making it harder for them to retain or even grow their audience. Although with Gilligan's Island, it is surprising that it didn't do better in its third and final season given that it was added to CBS's Monday night power block.

One sitcom that, I can think of, that did better or did the same as The Lucy Show performance wise during those three seasons was Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. And that one also switched days (during its third season) and reverted back to its former timeslot/day the next season. The show's third season ratings weren't near as high as the previous two and once it changed back to its former timeslot the ratings went up. One conclusion that I can think of as to why Gomer performed better than the others and was on par with The Lucy Show is because of its star (Jim Nabors and the popularity of his Gomer character) and its association with the already popular The Andy Griffith Show.  

• Like 1

Watched these early this morning (2/24/20):

"Lucy and the Golden Greek", "Lucy Helps the Countess", "Lucy, the Camp Cook", and then fell asleep watching "Lucy Is a Referee". Watched these on Hulu. :)

Early in the evening (2/25/20):

"Lucy Builds a Rumpus Room", "Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit"

(2/26/20):

"Lucy and Sid Caesar" & "Lucy and the 'Boss of Year' Award"

(2/27/20):

Early morning: "Lucy Decides to Redecorate"

Guess I have been on a Lucy Show kick here lately.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:10 PM, Harrison said:

I don't know about that. Green Acres, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart and Gilligan's Island were all fresh sitcoms (and obviously in the their prime) during the 1965-1968 seasons. But The Lucy Show had the advantage because of its beloved star and being apart of CBS' Monday night power block since its inception.  The others (with the exception of Bewitched and Green Acres) switched to different days during those 1965-1968 seasons. Thus making it harder for them to retain or even grow their audience. Although with Gilligan's Island, it is surprising that it didn't do better in its third and final season given that it was added to CBS's Monday night power block.

One sitcom that, I can think of, that did better or did the same as The Lucy Show performance wise during those three seasons was Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. And that one also switched days (during its third season) and reverted back to its former timeslot/day the next season. The show's third season ratings weren't near as high as the previous two and once it changed back to its former timeslot the ratings went up. One conclusion that I can think of as to why Gomer performed better than the others and was on par with The Lucy Show is because of its star (Jim Nabors and the popularity of his Gomer character) and its association with the already popular The Andy Griffith Show.  

Re: "Gomer" ratings.  They're really phenomenal considering the rather undesirable time slot it debuted in: Friday at 9:30.  1st season lead-in was the failed "The Entertainers" variety hour.   I'm sure Jack Benny was shocked when Gomer was the big hit and his series was cancelled after one year on NBC.   "Gomer" was the only series on any of the three network's Friday night line ups that made the top 30.  Nothing again "Gomer Pyle USMC" per se, but there's just not that many possible story lines considering the premise.  The writers had to strain to get Gomer and Sgt. Carter involved in the same plot over and over again.   VERY interesting that in the one season when it was moved to Wednesday, it dropped to #10 but then bounced back when it was moved back to Friday, ending its 5 year run at #2, TV's highest rated sitcom of 68-69!    I can understand the Gomer series getting no Emmy recognition but I think Frank Sutton did a tremendous job and was  more  Emmy-nomination worthy that Hogan's Heroes Werner Klemperer.  Not knocking Werner but his seemed to be a one-note performance to me (without having seen much of of "Heroes").   I think Werner actually WON at least one Emmy. (over our own Gale Gordon?). 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neil said:

Re: "Gomer" ratings.  They're really phenomenal considering the rather undesirable time slot it debuted in: Friday at 9:30.  1st season lead-in was the failed "The Entertainers" variety hour.   I'm sure Jack Benny was shocked when Gomer was the big hit and his series was cancelled after one year on NBC.   "Gomer" was the only series on any of the three network's Friday night line ups that made the top 30.  Nothing again "Gomer Pyle USMC" per se, but there's just not that many possible story lines considering the premise.  The writers had to strain to get Gomer and Sgt. Carter involved in the same plot over and over again.   VERY interesting that in the one season when it was moved to Wednesday, it dropped to #10 but then bounced back when it was moved back to Friday, ending its 5 year run at #2, TV's highest rated sitcom of 68-69!    I can understand the Gomer series getting no Emmy recognition but I think Frank Sutton did a tremendous job and was  more  Emmy-nomination worthy that Hogan's Heroes Werner Klemperer.  Not knocking Werner but his seemed to be a one-note performance to me (without having seen much of of "Heroes").   I think Werner actually WON at least one Emmy. (over our own Gale Gordon?). 

Yeah, it is interesting how exceptionally well Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. did especially compared to the other rural sitcoms of the day. One would think that Green Acres would have ruled the roost especially coming on right after the No. 1 show in America (previous seasons earlier) on Wednesdays. And also being different from the other rural comedies by being surrealistic and breaking the fourth wall.

Yeah, Gale Gordon lost to Werner Klemperer one year and Don Knotts (from The Andy Griffith Show) another. What really bothers me though is that Don (great actor and one of the greatest second bananas I might add) just made a couple of appearances of Griffith and still managed to win the emmy meanwhile Gale practically appeared in every Lucy episode that season and didn't win. How is that possible?

When it comes to Hogan's Heroes, I never understood the appeal of it. But to each his own. I know I have a friend who just loves that show but really isn't into Lucy whatsoever. And it just baffles me why MeTV is still airing it 10 at night for years on end. Really? How many times do viewers need to see every episode of that show? And even Andy Griffith or MASH? Not once has MeTV aired any Lucy show in prime-time. End of rant. Sorry. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Mot Morenzi said:

For the most part, I find season three much sillier and far less grounded than season two, but you're right, there is a renewed sense of energy. The Countess arc contains several of my favorite episodes. 

The biggest fly in the ointment is the lack of continuity with the first two years. I wish the new writers hadn't ditched the volunteer fire dept. and all the recurring friends. Their absence is glaring, and what new characters were introduced (Mrs. Valance) lack the development and personal touches that made the likes of Thelma Green and Audrey Simmons memorable.

Jimmy Garrett, Ralph Hart and Candy Moore were not seen near much in season three as their roles were reduced to recurring status. But their characters were more or less props from the beginning. It's too bad they weren't given any substantial material to work with during their time on the series. It would have been neat to see them make an appearance or even a cameo in the show's final episode.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 9:38 AM, Neil said:

When CBS ran The Lucy Show in the morning, they started with the color episodes and included the 30 b/w shows exactly twice.   It was a little jarring to go from "Boss of the Year" to "Waits up for Chris".  (Was this the same series?)  I always preferred when they ran season 2 during the time I could watch: school holidays, summer.   Having no idea about the change of staff between 2 and 3, I always wondered why season 3 did not have the same feel.  It's very uneven.  IMO, the new writers tended to make Lucy a bit harsher, bossier with few, if any tender moments.   Though season 4 was Viv-less, I preferred it to 3.   Season 2 is by far my favorite.  Season 1 was great but seemed to run out of steam (compared to first half) as it progressed.  Was it because of the loss of Desi as Executive Producer?

For ratings trivia buffs, in the 10 seasons  (62-63 to 71-72)  in which TLS and HL made the top 10, it held every end-of-season summary position except  #1, #5 and #7.  Twice at #3, #4 and #6.  Positions in order from TLS season 1 through HL season 4......4,6,8,3,4,2,9,6,3,10  and then 15, 29.   Though season 3 of TLS had the lowest ranking of that series, season 5 actually had the lowest rating (but not by much).    Referencing Freddie2's post about HL's phenomonal 3rd season #3 showing, I hadn't realized it was the only sitcom in the top 10, actually the top 14!   The next one was #15 Mayberry and then from #19 to #22: My 3 Sons, Doris Day, The Smith Family (??  Henry Fonda?), Mary Tyler Moore and then "Partridge Family at #25 and no more sitcoms in the top 30.   Other than Mary's 1st season, it was NOT a good year for TV sitcoms.   Personal taste irony: the highest ranking season of both TLS and HL are my least favorite seasons of each series!

Interesting. One would think they would have started from the beginning of the series given the popularity of I Love Lucy (which was in black & white). I guess the network figured viewers wanted to see more Lucy in color or more color TV period.

I must admit but at one point in time, season four, was my least-favorite season of the series (despite that it contains two of my least-favorite Lucy episodes ever). However, through the years this season has grown on me. I enjoy that the focus was more on Lucy getting settled in California, going on dates and being involved with Hollywood and less of her working at the bank. I like that the emphasis is still on Lucy getting herself into these funny (and sometimes silly too) situations and less on the musical numbers and showcasing the guest star.  I enjoy that were got to see the Countess again (for one more last time), the last two appearances of Jerry and even the cameo by Bill Frawley. Season four, to me, was just different from the later two (especially season six) but just as enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

Lucy & Carol Burnett (Part 1)

This is a fun one. Though Carol Bradford was a more nuanced character, I like how Carol Tilford allowed Burnett to really show off her goofy side. I also appreciate how Lucy becomes more grounded whenever Carol's around, allowing Burnett to carry the bulk of the zany comedic moments while still earning laughs herself. It would've been too much if both of them were extremely scatterbrained at the same time. Lucy's mentor status really comes across onscreen, and the affection they have for one another is obvious, which lends a great sense of warmth to a series that badly needed it at this stage.

I know it's futile to think too hard about the plots, especially at this point in the show, but man that airline was so unrealistic. No co-pilot, two trainees put on their first flight together without any supervision, a movie that was scheduled to start at the same time the plane landed? Yeeesh!

Lucy & Viv Reminisce

Three cheers for Hilda! It's a pity she didn't contribute more ideas, as she seemed to grasp the essence of the show better than her husband ever did. I'm not normally a fan of clip shows, but this is one of the greatest. It really plays like a "best of" highlights reel. Given how far the series had strayed from its roots,  a reminder that this was still the same Lucy Carmichael from season one was very much necessary. It's unfortunate there couldn't have been a few lines between Lucy and Viv discussing how their children are doing. As memory serves, this is the first time we hear Viv's more nasal voice. I wonder what caused that to happen? 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, Freddie2 said:

Okay, thoughts on my "Skate" rewatch:

For one thing, at first I tried to watch the episode up on Hulu, which has ILL, TLS, and HL all available. To my surprise, they're missing a few episodes here and there, for whatever reason, so I pulled out my DVD. I guess it must have been awhile since I watched TLS on DVD, because the wonderful menu opening really made me smile. Right away I find it funny that Lucy and Viv are schlepping around in pajamas and curlers, yet they're all done up in makeup and blue eye shadow that reminds me of my 8th grade homeroom teacher. This episode isn't the greatest. IMO the second season is better written but way more forgettable than the third- which got the lowest ratings of any TLS season (a shocking 8th place!). Even though it hasn't been broadcast in color yet, there are some nice touches- specifically in the scene at the store where Lucy is in blue and Viv is in red. Speaking of the store, I did some number crunching. The moose calls appear to cost $2.98, or $24.74 in today's money! Viv's bill of $8.50 would be $70.56 and Lucy's, at $59.60, comes out to $494.77! The store's owner, Mr. Carlyle, was 80 years old at the time- making him born in 1884. And on the subject of birthdays, I Googled Sitting Bull and discovered that nobody knows his actual birthday, so who knows what Jerry was on about. 

That is one ugly-ass country club. For such a swanky affair, it looks like a middle school dance. I could practically smell the Axe Body Spray. There's some real visual value that's lost by not having Lucy's scarf billow behind her. I wonder if the music was dubbed in later for editing purposes. It would've been awkward with the scene going on in silence. 

For my money, Viv is the real MVP of the episode. Lucy is great as always, but I found myself enjoying Viv most of all. In the store scene, just look at the way she walks out with that moose head- it's brilliant physical comedy.

"I could practically smell the Axe Body Spray" 😇  Thanks for giving me a much needed laugh today! You're funny!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 12:02 PM, JoeySoCal said:

In "Quarantine"

• "Lucy and Viv Install a Shower"
  • "Lucy and Viv Install a TV Antenna"
  • "Lucy and Viv Install a Stoplight in the Living Room" (JK...just seeing if you're paying attention ;) )
  • "Lucy's Substitute Secretary"
  • "Viv Visits Lucy"

Great selection!

Watched the following the other morning:

(Disc 3 of Season 4 ... skipped "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" ... not a great episode)

"Lucy, the Rain Goddess"

"Lucy and Art Linkletter"

"Lucy Bags a Bargain"

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney"

Then prior to that, I watched the I Love Lucy episode, "Redecorating", the night before.

Season 2:

#20 Lucy & Viv Open A Restaurant

#21 Lucy Takes A Job at the Bank

#22 Viv Moves Out

Never caught this before:  Watching the end credits of "Lucy Takes A Job at the Bank" and noticed a couple of boo-boos, which was pretty unusual for these usually-stickler folks! :HALKING:

(I have a screen shot but for some reason am unable to upload it... if any of you "frequent flyers" suggest what I might be doing wrong, I'll happily share what I found!! Thanks!) 😎

• 2 weeks later...

"Lucy and John Wayne"- The cable channel INSP aired this last night as part of their month long tribute to John Wayne. Appropriately enough, it was on after "The War Wagon". They used the newest remastered print with the "jack in the box" opening and it looked great. However, it was timesped to the point of distraction.

• Like 1