What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

It was a good episode but it always made me so mad the way Lucy's friends ragged on her about her baking skills. Mean bitches! :lucyeww::lucyhorror:

Totally agree, that's what i always despised about that particular show. Lucy wouldn't be friends with beeatches that acted like that. Ethel, or rather Viv was particularly hateful here and i hated her best friend being like that.

Ethel, or rather Viv was particularly hateful here and i hated her best friend being like that.

That's what always keeps me from totally LOVING the character of Vivian Bagley the way I do Ethel Mertz. I know Viv did NOT want to play Vivian Bagley the same way she played Ethel Mertz, BUT - and here is an instance I totally agree with Fidelman - by doing so I think she makes the character Vivian Bagley less likeable. Sometimes she's just downright mean and spiteful, and in those instances I find myself distracted from the comedy because I'm stuck feeling sorry for Lucy that her best friend is such a bitch!

• Like 1

That's what always keeps me from totally LOVING the character of Vivian Bagley the way I do Ethel Mertz. I know Viv did NOT want to play Vivian Bagley the same way she played Ethel Mertz, BUT - and here is an instance I totally agree with Fidelman - by doing so I think she makes the character Vivian Bagley less likeable. Sometimes she's just downright mean and spiteful, and in those instances I find myself distracted from the comedy because I'm stuck feeling sorry for Lucy that her best friend is such a bitch!

Hey, whatdayaknow, Fidelman actually got something right! In Lucy after I Love Lucy i mean.

I don't think the teasing by Vivian and the other women is THAT bad and don't forget Vivian switched her pie with Lucy's so Lucy would win because she knew how badly Lucy wanted to win. That's a true friend!! And then what does Lucy do but turn around and be rather condescending toward Viv as if she is now an equal if not superior cook! So neither character is exactly an angel. Part of the teasing stems from the fact that Lucy cannot admit she is a terrible cook.

Don't forget Lucille Ball was the boss and controlled the storylines so she obviously had no problem with the Lucy-Viv combative interactions and apparently thought them funny. The spats are in some episodes probably to keep it from being too sugary a show and of course they're always played for laughs.

I don't think the teasing by Vivian and the other women is THAT bad and don't forget Vivian switched her pie with Lucy's so Lucy would win because she knew how badly Lucy wanted to win. That's a true friend!! And then what does Lucy do but turn around and be rather condescending toward Viv as if she is now an equal if not superior cook! So neither character is exactly an angel. Part of the teasing stems from the fact that Lucy cannot admit she is a terrible cook.

Don't forget Lucille Ball was the boss and controlled the storylines so she obviously had no problem with the Lucy-Viv combative interactions and apparently thought them funny. The spats are in some episodes probably to keep it from being too sugary a show and of course they're always played for laughs.

Ok, well, if you feel THAT way, why don't you just change your screenname to VivILove? LOL! Just joking, you make up good points, well, except for Lucy controlling the storylines, the writers did that, unfortunately.

Yeah, didn't Lucy get angry with Bob and Madelyn for writing this particular episode? She wasn't too happy with the script.

I think this is the period where Lucy had to pretend to be angry about every episode so she could keep the quality UP. Now that she had to do what Desi used to do before he left after the first few epsiodes of the first season.

Three from season two:

CHRIS GOES STEADY - very good episode with some of the best Lucy/Gale skits in the series.

I think we need a thread "Celebrities on Lucy Shows You Have No Clue Who They Are" aftet watching VIV MOVES OUT (singer Roberta Sherwood guest stars. Never heard of Ms. Sherwood before - apparently she was the Susan Boyle of the 1950's/early 1960's, a middle-aged unknown who suddenly became a popular singing star although I was rather underwhelmed by Ms. Sherwood's singing - and acting - talents on this episode) and LUCY TAKES UP GOLF (with two apparently big name golfers of the day guesting as themselves and suprisingly reading their lines very well, this one has to rank with the best LUCY SHOW episodes, loved Lucy on the golf course and yes, he was no Desi but seeing Gary and Lucy interact in this episode was quite sweet.)

Three from season two:

CHRIS GOES STEADY - very good episode with some of the best Lucy/Gale skits in the series.

I think we need a thread "Celebrities on Lucy Shows You Have No Clue Who They Are" aftet watching VIV MOVES OUT (singer Roberta Sherwood guest stars. Never heard of Ms. Sherwood before - apparently she was the Susan Boyle of the 1950's/early 1960's, a middle-aged unknown who suddenly became a popular singing star although I was rather underwhelmed by Ms. Sherwood's singing - and acting - talents on this episode) and LUCY TAKES UP GOLF (with two apparently big name golfers of the day guesting as themselves and suprisingly reading their lines very well, this one has to rank with the best LUCY SHOW episodes, loved Lucy on the golf course and yes, he was no Desi but seeing Gary and Lucy interact in this episode was quite sweet.)

I disagree about Roberta, she was one of those Merman type belters who project better than they sing, i liked her.

I disagree about Roberta, she was one of those Merman type belters who project better than they sing, i liked her.

I definitely saw a Merman influence in her so much so it's a surprise they booked Sherwood on the show just three episodes after Merm. She wasn't bad just not the type of vintage "classic pop" singer I prefer.

I definitely saw a Merman influence in her so much so it's a surprise they booked Sherwood on the show just three episodes after Merm. She wasn't bad just not the type of vintage "classic pop" singer I prefer.

No, i understand but i can see where LUCY would have had her on because she liked her performing style.

Just watched the two with Carol Burnet. What great chemistry they had together! Carol was hysterical in Lucy Gets a Rommmate, going from timid to uninhibited during her song. ("Give me some more of that Italian water!") :marionstrong:

In the Palm Springs episode, I kept expecting to see :bill1: jingling his keys, & :viv1: sitting in the background eating chocolate covered cherries! :hlLOL:

Been watching the latest WUNDAFUL Lucy Show CBS "Official" 5th Season DVD release out of order, so "restarted" today at the beginning, with a marathon of eps comprising Disc 1:

1. ...and George Burns (kinda weak for a season premiere, IMHO!)

2. ...and the Submarine (not one of my faves, a little "jarring" seeing Mr. Cheever playing someone else despite being referenced in the same episode!)

3. ...the Bean Queen (couldn't help recalling her line on -- I think -- one of her Merv appearances discussing a similiar episode where she ended up going through a wall, explaining they had to do it one take because "How many walls do you think we could afford??!" :D)

4. ...and Paul Winchell (a sentimental favorite, a bit better than I remembered; the scene where she gets caught up in the "dolls" and believing them to be real is quite sweet, IMHO.)

5. ...and the Ring-A-Ding Ring (a personal favorite, the getting her from the car to the apartment scene....Gale deserved an Emmy nom for this scene alone....priceless. Would LOVE to see rehearsal footage from this scene, can you imagine some of the exchanges? Maury: Okay, Gale, when you hand her off to the cop, be careful you don't graze her boob!" marionstrong.gif)

6. ...Flies to London (Interesting to watch this and compare it to the earlier Desi-directed version; both fine yet...different, perhaps an audience present is a big reason, I dunno. Certainly one of the funniest eps of the season, especially on this first disc.)

Next up: finally watching the LIL documentary and special again since the Paley screening -- not sure exactly why, but afraid seeing them again "smaller" (they screened gloriously on a movie screen there in HD!) at home might be a little disappointing.....stay tuned, we shall see! ;)

Been watching the latest WUNDAFUL Lucy Show CBS "Official" 5th Season DVD release out of order, so "restarted" today at the beginning, with a marathon of eps comprising Disc 1:

1. ...and George Burns (kinda weak for a season premiere, IMHO!)

2. ...and the Submarine (not one of my faves, a little "jarring" seeing Mr. Cheever playing someone else despite being referenced in the same episode!)

3. ...the Bean Queen (couldn't help recalling her line on -- I think -- one of her Merv appearances discussing a similiar episode where she ended up going through a wall, explaining they had to do it one take because "How many walls do you think we could afford??!" :D)

4. ...and Paul Winchell (a sentimental favorite, a bit better than I remembered; the scene where she gets caught up in the "dolls" and believing them to be real is quite sweet, IMHO.)

5. ...and the Ring-A-Ding Ring (a personal favorite, the getting her from the car to the apartment scene....Gale deserved an Emmy nom for this scene alone....priceless. Would LOVE to see rehearsal footage from this scene, can you imagine some of the exchanges? Maury: Okay, Gale, when you hand her off to the cop, be careful you don't graze her boob!" marionstrong.gif)

6. ...Flies to London (Interesting to watch this and compare it to the earlier Desi-directed version; both fine yet...different, perhaps an audience present is a big reason, I dunno. Certainly one of the funniest eps of the season, especially on this first disc.)

Next up: finally watching the LIL documentary and special again since the Paley screening -- not sure exactly why, but afraid seeing them again "smaller" (they screened gloriously on a movie screen there in HD!) at home might be a little disappointing.....stay tuned, we shall see! ;)

I've been watchin your new avatar instead.

Betcha wish one of those times he comes outta the door he'd drop his towel! You're not the only one! lucyhaha.JPG

I had the dvd in my grubby little sweaty hands today but put it back, no point in paying 30 bucks for a shitty movie only to keep playing that one scene over and over, will record it when it plays on pay tv which should be very soon anyway. Bought Judas Kiss though.

I had the dvd in my grubby little sweaty hands today but put it back, no point in paying 30 bucks for a shitty movie only to keep playing that one scene over and over, will record it when it plays on pay tv which should be very soon anyway. Bought Judas Kiss though.

$30??? Gawd your prices there are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

$30??? Gawd your prices there are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

No, it wasn't 30, it was only 29.99 but there's loads of taxes on top of that and not all videos or dvds rather are that SPENSIVE but limited appeal gay themed ones are always more spensive as they dun't sell as many and i bbought it to encourage the industry as you've suggested before.

I watched all of Disc one from Lucy show season five and then the first two of disc two, nice shows but much too familiar, have seen them much too recently. The two Carol Burnett ones were absolutely terrific and i had forgotten how great ring a ding ding was, with Gale all sweaty from all the comedy shtick he had to do with Lucy as she is pretending to be out of it due to medication.