What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

I watched all of Disc one from Lucy show season five and then the first two of disc two, nice shows but much too familiar, have seen them much too recently. The two Carol Burnett ones were absolutely terrific and i had forgotten how great ring a ding ding was, with Gale all sweaty from all the comedy shtick he had to do with Lucy as she is pretending to be out of it due to medication.

--and how cool is it the picture detail is so sharp and clear that you actually SEE Gale sweating! Okay that sounds gross but if you're used to only seeing these since childhood all cut up, color washed out and blurry half the time, it's just one more reason to love and appreciate seeing these shows as if for the first time in crystal clear uncut DVD editions.... so SUE me!!! marionstrong.gif

--and how cool is it the picture detail is so sharp and clear that you actually SEE Gale sweating! Okay that sounds gross but if you're used to only seeing these since childhood all cut up, color washed out and blurry half the time, it's just one more reason to love and appreciate seeing these shows as if for the first time in crystal clear uncut DVD editions.... so SUE me!!! marionstrong.gif

Exactly the way I feel about C O L O R on her old black and white shows, LOL! You haven't lived till you've seen Gale sweat in C O L O R ! Beautiful multi colored beads of sweat, like a friggin rainbow i tell ya!

Exactly the way I feel about C O L O R on her old black and white shows, LOL! You haven't lived till you've seen Gale sweat in C O L O R ! Beautiful multi colored beads of sweat, like a friggin rainbow i tell ya!

Which is exactly why I've gotten into the habit of turning the color off whilst watching these glorious eps on DVD -- the picture's so sharp and detailed, the color hurts my eyes! lucythrill.JPG

Which is exactly why I've gotten into the habit of turning the color off whilst watching these glorious eps on DVD -- the picture's so sharp and detailed, the color hurts my eyes! lucythrill.JPG

I think maybe you should give away your NEW fangled blu ray equipped big screen color tv to charity an get yourself one of those old vintage 4 inch screens and see the show the way most people did back in the fifties, you know, the way they were intended to be seen, LOL! And wear sunglasses if the black and white is too prominent for ya. And make sure you're at least twenty feet from teh set, wouldn't wanna hurt those bootiful peepers of yours. :lucyhorror::lucydaze::obrien::lol:

And look at the Here's Lucy numbers by season, ranking and estimated audience. What's very interesting is the between the first and last season the show lost only 5% of its audience and I thought all this time the ratings were tanking. I'm counting season 4 in the top ten because it TIED with mary Tyler Moore in number of viewers and rating. Don't know why they call it #11.

1. 9 13,863500

2. 6 13,981500

3. 3 15,686100

4. 10 14,717700

5. 15 14,191200

6. 29 13,240000

Can season 3's inexplicable spike be totally attributed to "The Burtons"? Certainly not to the overall quality of the season. In total number of viewers season 3 of HL was higher than ANY year of The Lucy Show, but to be a fair comparison you must factor in the the potential audience during HL was 10 million or so higher than most of the TLS years.

Also interesting is the the number of viewers of Here's Lucy is down a bit from I Love Lucy but not much. However, in the 50s the potential audience was only a third the size.

Which just goes to show what a phenomenon I Love Lucy was.

Can season 3's inexplicable spike be totally attributed to "The Burtons"? Certainly not to the overall quality of the season. In total number of viewers season 3 of HL was higher than ANY year of The Lucy Show, but to be a fair comparison you must factor in the the potential audience during HL was 10 million or so higher than most of the TLS years.

Hi, Neil...

While the Burton season-opener certainly helped, the ratings for all of Season 3 (1970-71) were, indeed, higher than they had been in Season 2 (or would be in Season 4)... Part of the reason was the total collapse of ABC. The east coast competition that year was a short-lived detective series called THE SILENT FORCE... leading into the first season of Monday Night Football (which was not a serious ratings-getter until the following fall). The football aired "live," so in the mountain and pacific time zones, LUCY aired opposite it...

"Lucy & The Golden Greek" w/Howard Morris (hilarious)

"Lucy In The Music World" w/Mel Torme (classic)

"Lucy The Gun Moll" w/Robert Stack (classic)

"Lucy & Dean Martin" (The best episode of season 4)

"Lucy & Joan" w/Joan Blondell and Keith Andes (VERY FUNNY)

"Lucy & Danny Thomas" (classic)

"Lucy & The Sleeping Beauty" w/Clint Walker (VERY FUNNY)

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest," "Lucy, the Undercover Agent," and "Lucy Helps the Countess" all three with Ann Sothern and all three very funny

"Lucy, the Choir Master" (good christmas episode)

"Lucy at Marineland" (good start for new format season four)

"Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton" (VERY GOOD)

"Lucy Bagas a Bargain" (VERY FUNNY)

"Lucy and the Soap Opera" (VERY FUNNY)

"Lucy Goes to a Hollywood Premier" (Good except for the gorilla scene)

"Lucy & Clint Walker" second episode w/Clint (they make a good team)

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" (Lucy does a great Chaplain)

"Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (pretty good since I'm not a Berle fan)

All these are from season four which I think is one of Lucy's best seasons. I liked the fact that Jerry Belson wrote a lot of the episodes. The fourth year had a fresh and lively feeling to it and that's why Lucy was nominated for her second Emmy for "The Lucy Show" and it's also the reason the ratings shot up to a 27.6 rating and 3rd place finish. "The Lucy Show" was just 0.1 behind second place Gomer Pyle. It is also a vast improvement over season three which was getting kind of tired. There was no way Lucy and Viv would have made it to season five if Vivian remained on the show.

• Like 1

There was no way Lucy and Viv would have made it to season five if Vivian remained on the show.

Whoa buddy, them's fightin' words around here! PLEASE do not make personal opinions like that stated as if it were "fact": there's no way you could possibly know that, there are a multitude and variety of compounded reasons why a show's ratings ebb and flow, go up and down, etc. and even when ratings SUCK it's no barometer of the show's inherent quality nor reflection of the talent involved therein, be it the writers, directors or actors and to intimate -- even if she was a little "hippy"! ;) -- that Vivian was directly or indirectly responsible for ratings fluctuations of TLS, ILL or XYZ for that matter are not only ludicrous but downright insulting.

lucyshock.JPG

You're comment however about Jerry Belson is more on the mark. After the original writers left TLS after Season 2, Belson & writing partner Garry Marshall, well regarded from their stint with The Dick Van Dyke Show, wrote many of the "better" scripts (again, subjective!) of the staff and outside submissions used at that juncture. While IMHO they never quite matched the quality and brilliance of those first season TLS classics, Belson & Marshall offered some fine contributions to the series (e.g. "Lucy the Good Skate"; "...Clint Walker", "...and the Countess Have a Horse Guest", etc.) in its post "3 Bobs and a babe" incarnations. :D

• Like 1

"Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest," "Lucy, the Undercover Agent," and "Lucy Helps the Countess" all three with Ann Sothern and all three very funny

All these are from season four which I think is one of Lucy's best seasons. I liked the fact that Jerry Belson wrote a lot of the episodes. The fourth year had a fresh and lively feeling to it and that's why Lucy was nominated for her second Emmy for "The Lucy Show" and it's also the reason the ratings shot up to a 27.6 rating and 3rd place finish. "The Lucy Show" was just 0.1 behind second place Gomer Pyle. It is also a vast improvement over season three which was getting kind of tired. There was no way Lucy and Viv would have made it to season five if Vivian remained on the show.

The Dean Martin one is not only the best ep of season four but also the best of the entire series!!!!!

E X A C T L Y , what i've always said, it was called The Lucy show for a reason, the more Lucy we got, the higher the ratings went.

• 4 weeks later...