What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

The difference between I Love Lucy and the later Lucy shows is that musical numbers didn't take center stage. The original mainly had them because Ricky Ricardo was a singer and bandleader. So they were incorporated into the program. With the later shows, it was like they were either shooting for regular sitcom episode or a full-blown musical episode.

But like i said, Lucy loved nothing more than to do some musical numbers and what the lady wanted, the lady got, LOL! She knew the writers had difficulty coming up with N E W funny things for her to do so the musical numbers helped fill the shows.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Lucy wanted to have a variety show rather than a sitcom in the 1960's . All her contempories had terrific variety shows like Jackie Gleason, Red Skelton, Carol Burnett, and many others. It might have been a big risk to change a proven format that was perfected on television for six years in the 1950s. It did seem by the 5th and 6th season of "The Lucy Show" that she included small aspects of the variety show format into the sitcom.

I beg to differ that this episode is SO "entertaining". It was more or less built upon the musical sequences which makes it very dated. It could have been much better with a song that wasn't so corny and annoying, less focus on the musical numbers and more on Lucy and her trademark slapstick/comedy, dailogue that keeps the viewer engaged, inclusion of a series regular/co-star in the episode (where was Gale Gordon or even Mary Jane Croft?), ect. Heck, dropping Mel Torme and replacing him with a different guest star might have helped.

Granted "Lucy In the Music World" is worth checking out to see how the "music" and the fashions were at the time but nothing more. And watching it for subsequent viewings ... well, it is best to leave it in the past. Which adds to the point that this entry of The Lucy Show should have been presented as a 60s special and NOT as an episode of a supposed sitcom. Where were the laughs?

This episode appealed to a different audience at a different time. In today's contemporary culture this episode won't appeal to "some" young adults(under 40). As a middle-aged adult(somewhere between 50 and death) this episode is quite entertaining and sparingly funny. I am very fortunate to live long enough to enjoy those musical episodes that I didn't appreciate or liked in the late 60's and early 70's. This includes the musical episodes on "I Love Lucy" like "Mertz and Kurtz" or "Lucy In Scotland".

This episode appealed to a different audience at a different time. In today's contemporary culture this episode won't appeal to "some" young adults(under 40). As a middle-aged adult(somewhere between 50 and death) this episode is quite entertaining and sparingly funny. I am very fortunate to live long enough to enjoy those musical episodes that I didn't appreciate or liked in the late 60's and early 70's. This includes the musical episodes on "I Love Lucy" like "Mertz and Kurtz" or "Lucy In Scotland".

Well said luv. I too hated the musical numbers on ILL when i was a kid, as i've said many times, but i sure as hell love them now as they have aged with me and are so much more enjoyable now that i've heard them so often. And Lucy had loads of musical people on her shows over the years and she just loved to show them off and partake in those numbers which she loved performing to the hilt.
  • Like 1

Nevermind it being excellent as that is debatable. Now ... what is so funny about this episode?

Maybe you had to grow up in the 60s to "get it".. but "We're gonna have a wingding" was a great parody on "Shindig", a bit hit of the times....not to mention the song she sang about her surfer boyfriend alone was priceless: "His surfboard came back by itself"! And yes, a lot of it was about her delivery! :lucyhaha:
  • Like 1

Maybe you had to grow up in the 60s to "get it".. but "We're gonna have a wingding" was a great parody on "Shindig", a bit hit of the times....not to mention the song she sang about her surfer boyfriend alone was priceless: "His surfboard came back by itself"! And yes, a lot of it was about her delivery! :lucyhaha:

Agreed, the song was the highlight of the show and that particular line delivered flawlessly by a pro and hilarious as hell, God, we`re still laughing decades later.

If i had a dollar for every time i looked at Lucy getting Jack Benny's account . . . .

Bob Hope did a cameo the last time Jack Benny was on "The Lucy Show". In this episode, the large photo of Bob Hope in Jack Benny's living room reminded me of that episode.

I wonder, did they actually use Jack Benny's home for the living room scene?

Bob Hope did a cameo the last time Jack Benny was on "The Lucy Show". In this episode, the large photo of Bob Hope in Jack Benny's living room reminded me of that episode.

I wonder, did they actually use Jack Benny's home for the living room scene?

Uh no, Jack didn't want 300 people sitting on his couches, LOL! I believe the Jack Benny vault sequence was also the most expensive set ever created for a Lucy show.

why can I not find TLS on Me-TV?

In Los Angeles or Southern California on ME-TV we get "The Lucy Show" instead of "I Love Lucy" which they have on their schedule to show and advertise on their station as well. I read somewhere that the local FOX channels have the right to show "I Love Lucy" but not ME-TV. Since they can't show "I Love Lucy" we get to see "The Lucy Show" by default.

"Lucy Meets Mickey Rooney" - ME-TV Another classic episode from "The Lucy Show" and a great one from the fourth season. Lucy, Gale, and Mickey turning in top performances!!! It must have been a challenge putting up the props on this show and testing them out to see if they would work.

Ah yes, the great midget er i mean Mickey, Rooney is to Brock what Danny Kaye is to Mikidiki.