What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

It's too bad they never explored her resemblance to Mary Jane's Aunt Gussie.

I was so surprised they had her playing this character so soon after she played Robert Goulet's secretary. Since I don't have yet the sixth season of "TLS", did Mary Wickes appear as Aunt Agatha in the remaining episodes of this season? Since it was implied that she would continue to live with Lucy.

Mary Wickes plays a similar character(like Aunt Agatha) in the last season of "The Waltons" as a relative of "The Baldwin Sisters" who takes over their domestic lives.

I was so surprised they had her playing this character so soon after she played Robert Goulet's secretary. Since I don't have yet the sixth season of "TLS", did Mary Wickes appear as Aunt Agatha in the remaining episodes of this season? Since it was implied that she would continue to live with Lucy.

Unfortunately they dropped that plot line like a hot potato, which is a shame because Lucy and Mary worked so well together. (Well, Mary was a welcome addition to anything really)

"Lucy And The Pool Hustler"

I have a question in "Lucy The Pool Hustler" Does Lucy say to Mr. Mooney: "How is your wife?" or "What about your wife?" I am certain that Mr. Mooney replies: "Compared to what?"

I am defintely going to get the sixth season when I run across it just like I did with the sixth season of "Here's Lucy".

"Lucy And The Pool Hustler"

I have a question in "Lucy The Pool Hustler" Does Lucy say to Mr. Mooney: "How is your wife?" or "What about your wife?" I am certain that Mr. Mooney replies: "Compared to what?"

I am defintely going to get the sixth season when I run across it just like I did with the sixth season of "Here's Lucy".

Well, what' s your hurry?? ;)
  • Like 1

"Lucy and Viv Enter a Baking Contest"

One of my favorite episodes. Lucy clumsily and frantically baking her pie is Lucy at her absolute best. The writers knew exactly what she could do; what material she needed to run with. On paper this isn't much, it's something no one else could pull off (the same can be said for most of what Lucy was able to do) Nobody moves funnier than Lucy in long pantomime scenes. The highlight here: when she loses her recipe in her batter.

When the comedy is good, we can overlook holes in logic. Sometimes they don't occur to me until the 4th or 5th viewing, BUT.....

...with a country club, upscale restaurants, and other cultural goings-on, it must be a slow day in Danfield if women mixing the ingredients for pies draws that much of a crowd. We assume the crowd watches the prep, leaves while the pies to bake and cook, and then returns later when the pies are finished?

Do they each have their OWN oven??

I think "Safe Cracker/Locked in Vault Part2" is hilarious. Highlight: shoving chocolates in announcers mouth as they sing "I've Been Munching on Some Candy".

Does anyone else think the voice calling the candy store with the question about butter creams is Jay Novello imitating a woman?

I was watching Lucy Goes to the White House last night and was reminded of something that has always bugged me. Let’s set aside the whole horse bit as that is totally unrealistic. If they are supposed to go from Danfiled, NY (which I assume is just north of NYC) to Washington, DC, why does it take so long? They seem to get on the train around dinner time (as the conversation between Viv and Lucy suggests by wanting to go to the dining car) and they get into DC the next morning, 8am. So this is what a 10-14 hour train ride? This ride can’t be more than 6 hours in reality including the stops. How long were those stops supposed to be?

I was watching Lucy Goes to the White House last night and was reminded of something that has always bugged me. Let’s set aside the whole horse bit as that is totally unrealistic. If they are supposed to go from Danfiled, NY (which I assume is just north of NYC) to Washington, DC, why does it take so long? They seem to get on the train around dinner time (as the conversation between Viv and Lucy suggests by wanting to go to the dining car) and they get into DC the next morning, 8am. So this is what a 10-14 hour train ride? This ride can’t be more than 6 hours in reality including the stops. How long were those stops supposed to be?

Well if Amtrak can do it -- and boy, from my experience, they sure do! -- perhaps back then it was just as bad or worse: turn a 3 or 4 hour car ride into a 2 or 3 times that train "trip"!!

And because of that, I don't care if I ever step foot on one ever again! Eeesh!

"White House"- This was a tricky one to pull off before a live audience. I'm glad they bothered with the location train footage. There's a long shot of Lucy getting off the train. I wonder if that was done for this specific episode or whether it was stock footage. The horse "galloping" alongside the train is such a ridiculous visual, it works for me on that level.

We who don't know our east coast geography all that well can accept the train trip length. I've never even thought about that before.

JFK and the rocking chair: this is one of those endearing characteristics they give presidents, like old Reagan and his jelly beans. Evidently JFK liked to sit in a rocking chair. With every thing else about JFK, the rocking chair thing is not something that made it down through history, but without knowing that, the "I see that I'm not the only one attached to a rocking chair" line doesn't make sense.

Watch Lucy as she mounts the horse outside the diner. She barely makes it on, before the horse (the real one) takes off. Too bad the camera didn't capture this better.

"White House"- This was a tricky one to pull off before a live audience. I'm glad they bothered with the location train footage. There's a long shot of Lucy getting off the train. I wonder if that was done for this specific episode or whether it was stock footage. The horse "galloping" alongside the train is such a ridiculous visual, it works for me on that level.

We who don't know our east coast geography all that well can accept the train trip length. I've never even thought about that before.

JFK and the rocking chair: this is one of those endearing characteristics they give presidents, like old Reagan and his jelly beans. Evidently JFK liked to sit in a rocking chair. With every thing else about JFK, the rocking chair thing is not something that made it down through history, but without knowing that, the "I see that I'm not the only one attached to a rocking chair" line doesn't make sense.

Watch Lucy as she mounts the horse outside the diner. She barely makes it on, before the horse (the real one) takes off. Too bad the camera didn't capture this better.

One weird thing about "Lucy Visits the White House" is in the final scene all of the president's assistant's lines seem to be looped. It's very odd. Jimmy Garrett said on Stu Shostak's radio show the other day that this was a rare episode where they had to film out of sequence. The filming was running long and there was an outside teacher on set because of the child actors playing the boy scouts. The teacher said that the children had to be dismissed at a certain time (9:00? 10:00?) in accordance with the child labor laws. As a result, they had to film the last scene with the kids before some of the earlier scenes.

One weird thing about "Lucy Visits the White House" is in the final scene all of the president's assistant's lines seem to be looped. It's very odd.

I also thought his lines were looped but wasn't sure.

Was Elliot Reid credited with "voice of president". He was in the TV Guide listing.

This episode is a good example of Lucy being totally committed to the material. Her entrance on to the train after her horse ride: she acts like someone who has truly been put through the mill.