What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

"Viv Moves Out"

It seems that for a short period, the networks were hot on ROberta "Up a Lazy River" Sherwood with this and her Donna Reed pilot episode, in which she also went up that lazy river. She's got an interesting voice, but not much in the way of acting skills. Doubt she could have carried a show, even with the help of brother Gale Gordon. Was she big enough name to qualify as "guest star"?

One question though: Lucy's renting out Viv's room to ROberta.......and her son????, future big Patrick on Broadway in Angela's mame: Jerry Lanning. You mean mother and son are sharing a room? Or does Jerry L. room with Jerry C. and get Sherman's old top bunk. Deleted from script: Jerry L using stilts to get to his bed.

It always baffles me how in TLS season 2, ROberta and Kathleen Freeman get applause yet The Merm doesn't. I wonder what her appearance would be likened to today. Perhaps Sutton Foster guesting on The Big Bang Theory?

It always baffles me how in TLS season 2, ROberta and Kathleen Freeman get applause yet The Merm doesn't. I wonder what her appearance would be likened to today. Perhaps Sutton Foster guesting on The Big Bang Theory?

Well the problem there is no one today knows who anyone on Broadway is.  It just doesn't have the same prestige it once use to.  Look at the list of Tony nominees each year and I bet the average person would only know about 5 people and those are the ones who came over from TV or movies to do 1 show that season.

• Like 1

Well the problem there is no one today knows who anyone on Broadway is. It just doesn't have the same prestige it once use to. Look at the list of Tony nominees each year and I bet the average person would only know about 5 people and those are the ones who came over from TV or movies to do 1 show that season.

I looked at the list of nominees and only knew 10 out of 31. Maybe Kristen Chenoweth or Idina Menzel would be known enough by the general public to guest on a TV show.

I've recently realized that season five of TLS is in fact better than season four. I think I've only hated season five in the past because I associate it with grainy public domain releases, where I've only ever seen season four in crystal clear HD.

Season Five is certainly more consistent. In Season Four, episodes are either brilliant or abysmal with very few somewhere in the middle of the two poles.

• Like 1

Season Five is certainly more consistent. In Season Four, episodes are either brilliant or abysmal with very few somewhere in the middle of the two poles.

I think of season 4 for the stellar episodes.  Thanks the reason I like it/defend it.   I haven't done a duffer count of seasons 4 and 5. 4 probably has more than 5.  But it's close!  

1966 is the year Janos Prohaska could finally afford a down payment on a mansion in the valley.  Went into foreclosure in the 70s.  He kept anonymously submitting gorilla-inclusive scripts to the people at All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore to no avail.  But when "Me and the Chimp" turned him down, he must have realized his career was OVER. 

I think of season 4 for the stellar episodes. Thanks the reason I like it/defend it. I haven't done a duffer count of seasons 4 and 5. 4 probably has more than 5. But it's close!

1966 is the year Janos Prohaska could finally afford a down payment on a mansion in the valley. Went into foreclosure in the 70s. He kept anonymously submitting gorilla-inclusive scripts to the people at All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore to no avail. But when "Me and the Chimp" turned him down, he must have realized his career was OVER.

I'm not fully convinced that this is a joke.
  • Like 1

He kept anonymously submitting gorilla-inclusive scripts to the people at All in the Family and Mary Tyler Moore to no avail.  

I'm not fully convinced that this is a joke.

Don't you remember the one where Mary gives sanction to a gorilla who escaped from the zoo the same night she's having a costume party where Lou comes as a gorilla, Sue Ann takes the wrong one home and shows up at WJM the next day with the gorilla in tow,  talking about her wild night of passion, shows off her wedding ring, then says "Lou, you can take the costume off now" just as Lou emerges from his office?

I've done a tally and have concluded that season four has 12 episodes that I find quality/watchable and that season five a has 13 of the same level.

I'll have to do my own count.  Some episodes have some good moments but fall short in their entirety (I like the first half of "Golden Greek"; hate the 2nd half). I'd like to know which episodes make your quality/watchable list.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently watched "Lucy Gets Her Diploma" for the first time. I've held a few episodes in reserve that I initially had reservations about. I liked bits of this one, but on the whole I found it too heavy handed and preachy. Not to mention the huge continuity gaffe of having Lucy Carmichael go from attending college reunions to being a high school dropout. But it was interesting getting to see Robert Pine. Chris sure looks a lot like his dad.

All I need to see now are Ken Berry and Phil Harris and I'll have seen all of The Lucy Show.

SPOILER alert.  I haven't seen Ken Berry in a while and it may be a BTIR episode, but "Phil Harris" has grown on me, particularly Lucy and the piano bar and Phil's reactions.  Look for a fleeting glimpse of Carole Cook seated at the piano.  Both eps are good examples of what Bob O'Brien tried to do with a series that essentially had 2 1/2 regulars: Lucy, Mooney with Cheever and Mary Jane (being 1/4 each. (I'm not even sure Mooney was in "Ken Berry". )  O'Brien wasn't always successful but at least he TRIED to introduce characters with a back-story, pretty hard when you've only got 22 minutes. 

I think "Diploma" is a cut above many 6th season shows, though it's just a series of vignettes.  It exemplifies the older generation's attitude towards the younger generation (at least in the "Lucy" world).  1967-8 was the height of the Vietnam war but the "generation gap" is treated lightly as if it's just a misunderstanding between the two groups.  The depiction of high school is so anachronistic.  Doubtful that high school students knew "Dem Bones".  And "Itching powder" would have been something used in a 3 Stooges or Our Gand Comedy.  And what sort of high school gives valedictorian status to the person who scores the highest on the final exams?  What a slap in the face to those who toiled for 4 years getting good grades while some goofball was off waxing his surfboard but aces the finals!  The episode does have one great line:

Teacher: Lucille, you certainly know a lot about early American history.

Steve: She should.  She lived through most of it.

Oh I always loved the piano bar scene even when I was younger and had no idea what any of the songs were. It was so much fun watching Lucy all giddy and singing along.

Having now seen the Phil Harris Here’s Lucy episode it's evident that he worked so well with Lucy. I think having been friends off screen that easyness with each other.

Just rewatched "Lucy and the Disc Jockey." The first half, with Lucy and Viv trying to find the source of the sound, is very funny, though I swear poltergeists must've been possessing the house given the number of times the kitchen layout changes this year. That hose in the garbage disposal routine shouldn't have been milked for more than one show, though in this case it did provide Viv with a final on-air sight gag.

The second half I can do without. Mr. Mooney's appearance in this episode feels shoehorned in, and Lucy demolishing the radio station never quit hits its stride. Had the script allowed both Lucy and Viv to wreak havoc in the station, it might've provided a terrific last hurrah for their joint comedy scenes that largely went missing after season 1. As it is, it's one bit where I don't think Lucy alone was enough to save it.

I don't know if "Disc Jockey" had been picked as the season finale, seeing as how the one where Lucy, Viv, and the Countess fix up the old mansion was actually the last one filmed. Maybe at that point Ann Sothern was set to be the Viv replacement. I would've liked for Rosie to have become a regular and for Viv to get a proper send off.

• Like 2

I don't know if "Disc Jockey" had been picked as the season finale, seeing as how the one where Lucy, Viv, and the Countess fix up the old mansion was actually the last one filmed. Maybe at that point Ann Sothern was set to be the Viv replacement. I would've liked for Rosie to have become a regular and for Viv to get a proper send off.

No, it was preempted three times. They basically had no choice but to air it as the final one that year.

• Like 1

The only part I like during the radio station kuffel is the "And now for a spot announcement.. Ruff Ruff... Well now thank you Spot"

You are correct o wise and insightful Lotus Bud.. We needed Viv there.. Too much going on for a very L O N G time for one person to contend with. (Although she did a credible job doncha think?)