MONALISAISMONALUCY

What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

Okay, thoughts on my "Skate" rewatch:

For one thing, at first I tried to watch the episode up on Hulu, which has ILL, TLS, and HL all available. To my surprise, they're missing a few episodes here and there, for whatever reason, so I pulled out my DVD. I guess it must have been awhile since I watched TLS on DVD, because the wonderful menu opening really made me smile. Right away I find it funny that Lucy and Viv are schlepping around in pajamas and curlers, yet they're all done up in makeup and blue eye shadow that reminds me of my 8th grade homeroom teacher. This episode isn't the greatest. IMO the second season is better written but way more forgettable than the third- which got the lowest ratings of any TLS season (a shocking 8th place!). Even though it hasn't been broadcast in color yet, there are some nice touches- specifically in the scene at the store where Lucy is in blue and Viv is in red. Speaking of the store, I did some number crunching. The moose calls appear to cost $2.98, or $24.74 in today's money! Viv's bill of $8.50 would be $70.56 and Lucy's, at $59.60, comes out to $494.77! The store's owner, Mr. Carlyle, was 80 years old at the time- making him born in 1884. And on the subject of birthdays, I Googled Sitting Bull and discovered that nobody knows his actual birthday, so who knows what Jerry was on about. 

That is one ugly-ass country club. For such a swanky affair, it looks like a middle school dance. I could practically smell the Axe Body Spray. There's some real visual value that's lost by not having Lucy's scarf billow behind her. I wonder if the music was dubbed in later for editing purposes. It would've been awkward with the scene going on in silence. 

For my money, Viv is the real MVP of the episode. Lucy is great as always, but I found myself enjoying Viv most of all. In the store scene, just look at the way she walks out with that moose head- it's brilliant physical comedy.

Lastly, I actually have my own "Good Skate" kind of story. My senior year of high school, for Halloween I was talked into dressing as Christopher Robin for the day with a group of friends who were doing Winnie The Pooh characters. As we all know, Christopher Robin has red shoes. The only person we knew who had red shoes was my friend's younger brother, a good three or four sizes smaller than me. I went through the seven hour school day wearing them and I can definitely relate to Lucy's distress. My feet weren't exactly swollen, but holy cow were they sore.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

IMO the second season is better written but way more forgettable than the third- which got the lowest ratings of any TLS season (a shocking 8th place!).

Interesting perspective. I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. Season Two has been my favourite TLS season for many years, the bulk of my top 10 episodes are from this season, but lately I’ve been gravitating more towards Season Three. There’s a fresher energy to this season, more or a rewatchability factor. Was it down to the change of writers? Perhaps. Can it be chalked up to an increased effort to prove TLS was more than the original writers? Maybe. Vivian wanting to go out with a bang? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brock said:

Interesting perspective. I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. Season Two has been my favourite TLS season for many years, the bulk of my top 10 episodes are from this season, but lately I’ve been gravitating more towards Season Three. There’s a fresher energy to this season, more or a rewatchability factor. Was it down to the change of writers? Perhaps. Can it be chalked up to an increased effort to prove TLS was more than the original writers? Maybe. Vivian wanting to go out with a bang? 

For the most part, I find season three much sillier and far less grounded than season two, but you're right, there is a renewed sense of energy. The Countess arc contains several of my favorite episodes. 

The biggest fly in the ointment is the lack of continuity with the first two years. I wish the new writers hadn't ditched the volunteer fire dept. and all the recurring friends. Their absence is glaring, and what new characters were introduced (Mrs. Valance) lack the development and personal touches that made the likes of Thelma Green and Audrey Simmons memorable.

As well, while Vivian has some wonderful season three moments, I sometimes get the impression that she's just going through the motions. Maybe it has to do with all we've read, but her readiness to leave can sometimes come across as disinterest onscreen...at least to me. Having said that, however, I do think a number of third season episodes gave her more showcase moments than season two, where she was often relegated to the background to make way for Mr. Mooney. Steamboat Bessie being a prime example. 

• Like 2

Took advantage of some down time brought on by a snow/ice storm:

"Lucy Buys a Sheep"- Love Lucy and Viv's little harmony while looking for Clementine. 

"Lucy is a Kangaroo for a Day"- This episode shows that Lucy really was a master of her props (water cooler, typewriter, etc...). Notice that partway through the scene of her dress unraveling, her wig has been removed. 

"Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna"- a true classic 

"Lucy's Electric Mattress"- My favorite episode of season one. Lucy and Viv were never better together and the kids got a decent amount of screentime.

"Lucy and Viv are Volunteer Firemen"- My favorite of the Danfield Ladies Volunteer Dept. episodes.

"Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower "- Never gets old.

"Lucy Helps Ken Berry"- Picked an episode from season six that I hadn't watched in ages.

45 minutes ago, rickylu said:

"Lucy is a Kangaroo for a Day"- This episode shows that Lucy really was a master of her props (water cooler, typewriter, etc...). Notice that partway through the scene of her dress unraveling, her wig has been removed. 

I never noticed that. I'll take that for a spin to look.

On 12/9/2019 at 7:43 PM, Freddie2 said:

Lastly, I actually have my own "Good Skate" kind of story. My senior year of high school, for Halloween I was talked into dressing as Christopher Robin for the day with a group of friends who were doing Winnie The Pooh characters. As we all know, Christopher Robin has red shoes. The only person we knew who had red shoes was my friend's younger brother, a good three or four sizes smaller than me. I went through the seven hour school day wearing them and I can definitely relate to Lucy's distress. My feet weren't exactly swollen, but holy cow were they sore.

I was hoping this story was going to end with skates at a dance....I love your posts. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:11 PM, Brock said:

When CBS ran The Lucy Show in the morning, they started with the color episodes and included the 30 b/w shows exactly twice.   It was a little jarring to go from "Boss of the Year" to "Waits up for Chris".  (Was this the same series?)  I always preferred when they ran season 2 during the time I could watch: school holidays, summer.   Having no idea about the change of staff between 2 and 3, I always wondered why season 3 did not have the same feel.  It's very uneven.  IMO, the new writers tended to make Lucy a bit harsher, bossier with few, if any tender moments.   Though season 4 was Viv-less, I preferred it to 3.   Season 2 is by far my favorite.  Season 1 was great but seemed to run out of steam (compared to first half) as it progressed.  Was it because of the loss of Desi as Executive Producer?

For ratings trivia buffs, in the 10 seasons  (62-63 to 71-72)  in which TLS and HL made the top 10, it held every end-of-season summary position except  #1, #5 and #7.  Twice at #3, #4 and #6.  Positions in order from TLS season 1 through HL season 4......4,6,8,3,4,2,9,6,3,10  and then 15, 29.   Though season 3 of TLS had the lowest ranking of that series, season 5 actually had the lowest rating (but not by much).    Referencing Freddie2's post about HL's phenomonal 3rd season #3 showing, I hadn't realized it was the only sitcom in the top 10, actually the top 14!   The next one was #15 Mayberry and then from #19 to #22: My 3 Sons, Doris Day, The Smith Family (??  Henry Fonda?), Mary Tyler Moore and then "Partridge Family at #25 and no more sitcoms in the top 30.   Other than Mary's 1st season, it was NOT a good year for TV sitcoms.   Personal taste irony: the highest ranking season of both TLS and HL are my least favorite seasons of each series!

• Like 1