Jump to content
MONALISAISMONALUCY

What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

Recommended Posts

Watched these this past week:

"Lucy Plays Cleopatra"

"Kiddies Parties, Inc."

"Lucy & Viv Play Softball"

"Lucy Gets Locked in a Vault" (ended falling asleep half way through)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An underrated, often ignored Lucy Show gem from the first season "Lucy Drives a Dump Truck".  The gaggle of women who constituted the Danfield Volunteers were used too sparingly, probably more expensive to hire so many.  Lucy is more Lucy Ricardo-esque in this one.  The end scene was unusual in that it was done "on location" (the Desilu backlot) without an audience.  The traffic cop was perfectly portrayed by Dick Reeves who had done many I Love Lucys.  This was his only Lucy Show.  There are several little bits she does in this episode that remind me why there's only one 'Lucy'...and they're all silent expressions on her face:

1) when she's finished her phone call to salvage man Don Sharpe, is told he's retired and decides to hide from an angry Viv and Audrey among the stacks of newspapers.

2) at the "court martial" as Viv reads her list of infractions and comes to "and we now have 34 tons of damp newspapers in our yard"

3) Officer Reeves asks her if she can read and points to a sign.  Lucy "yes it says "One-Way'".  Watch her expression change ever so slightly as she realizes she has just gone the wrong way down a one-way street. 

I also love Officer Reeves sarcastic "Welcome to Brewster" and his even more sarcastic response when Lucy asks if he's going to give her a ticket.  "No", he scoffs and  Lucy is relieved until he adds "I'm going to give you TWO tickets."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" the other night. Still don't care for it.

Lucy acted like an idiot in this episode. And Gale Gordon was hardly in this episode. The interactions between Lucy and Danny (the main players of this poor episode) weren't that funny. And that bit with Lucy having trouble with that head thing was very reminiscent of the classic "Lucy Gets Pictures" I Love Lucy episode and not nearly as funny if at all.

I still rank this as one of the 10 worst episodes or bottom 10 of The Lucy Show. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, Harrison said:

Watched "Lucy Helps Danny Thomas" the other night. Still don't care for it.

Lucy acted like an idiot in this episode. And Gale Gordon was hardly in this episode. The interactions between Lucy and Danny (the main players of this poor episode) weren't that funny. And that bit with Lucy having trouble with that head thing was very reminiscent of the classic "Lucy Gets Pictures" I Love Lucy episode and not nearly as funny if at all.

I still rank this as one of the 10 worst episodes or bottom 10 of The Lucy Show. 

 

I love this one but it's one of several I love that the majority seems to hate.  but BOTTOM 10?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Neil said:

I love this one but it's one of several I love that the majority seems to hate.  but BOTTOM 10?  

Yes bottom 10. For reasons I stated above.

My other contenders in the bottom 10 would be: "Lucy, the Starmaker", (Season 6), "Lucy and Carol Burnett, Part II" (Season 6), "Lucy and Phil Harris" (Season 6), "Lucy in the Music World" (Season 4), "Lucy Saves Milton Berle" (Season 4), "Lucy and Ken Berry" (Season 6), & "Lucy and the Soap Opera", (Season 4).

If you have noticed, most of these are musical/star-oriented.

It's ironic how Lucille Ball made one of the worst episodes of The Lucy Show and then two years later made of the greatest - which BOTH featured Milton Berle as the guest star. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harrison said:

It's ironic how Lucille Ball made one of the worst episodes of The Lucy Show and then two years later made of the greatest - which BOTH featured Milton Berle as the guest star. 

This I agree with.  I hate "Saves", but love "Meets."  I think any bottom 10 must include "Lucy, the Rain Goddess."    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RodMcK1 said:

This I agree with.  I hate "Saves", but love "Meets."  I think any bottom 10 must include "Lucy, the Rain Goddess."    

As silly as "Lucy, the Rain Goddess" is, I do enjoy that episode. It reminds me of The Munsters episode, "Heap Big Herman" which had a similar premise. And that too I enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6/6-7/20 Overnight:

"Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard", "Main Street U.S.A.", "Lucy Puts Main Street on the Map" & "Lucy Meets the Law" (Episodes #131, #127-128 & #129)

 

6/20/20 Afternoon:

"Lucy Meets the Berles" (preceded by The Lucy-Desi Milton Berle 1959 Special) (#137)

 

6/21/20 Afternoon:

"Lucy and the Bank Scandal" & "Lucy Goes Duck Hunting" (#35, #31)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had to pick one episode of "The Lucy Show" to show someone unfamiliar with anything post-ILL, which would it be?

I picked "Electric Mattress".  Though it's rather low on plot compared to a great I Love Lucy, the TWO great block comedy scenes make up for it.    Two little B&M/B&B touches I'd like to point out.  The over-waxed slippery floor is established before the bed takes off making the whole bit a little more plausible.  #2: Lucy to Jerry: "Why do you leave these stilts in the middle of the room?  Someone's liable to trip over them."  Again paving the way for Lucy's eyeing the stilts, one of her best physical bits of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil said:

If you had to pick one episode of "The Lucy Show" to show someone unfamiliar with anything post-ILL, which would it be?

I picked "Electric Mattress".  Though it's rather low on plot compared to a great I Love Lucy, the TWO great block comedy scenes make up for it.    Two little B&M/B&B touches I'd like to point out.  The over-waxed slippery floor is established before the bed takes off making the whole bit a little more plausible.  #2: Lucy to Jerry: "Why do you leave these stilts in the middle of the room?  Someone's liable to trip over them."  Again paving the way for Lucy's eyeing the stilts, one of her best physical bits of all time. 

This is what Bob and Madelyn shined at. They set up the gag so subtly. Going back to ILL there are many times when they'd show Lucy doing something right so later when she messed it up you knew that it was because of funny circumstances, not just she was terrible. They grounded the crazy from the start, thus making it believable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neil said:

If you had to pick one episode of "The Lucy Show" to show someone unfamiliar with anything post-ILL, which would it be?

 

So many to choose from! I guess ONE of them would have to be "Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale" as it features many trademarks of the Lucy character, her two main Lucy-TV series and Lucy Show co-stars (i.e. Vivian Vance and Gale Gordon), the comedy scene with wheelchair-bound Lucy getting chased in the hospital by the ever-growing line of nurses and the revival-ability factor to I Love Lucy. There's another scene at the end where Lucy (impersonating a doctor) and Viv (impersonating a nurse) trying to wake up a groggy Mr. Mooney to the extent of making barnyard animal noises. As with trademarks, there's Lucy wanting money, Lucy scheming to get it, Lucy getting Viv involved, Lucy's scheme backfires, Lucy antagonizing the insufferable Mr. Mooney and Lucy's loveable cry. Also, it's worth to mention that the original Lucy writers were involved with this specific Lucy Show episode.

That comedy scene with the chased wheelchair-bound Lucy, I think, revivals some of the classic moments from I Love Lucy (whether it be Lucy getting her nose on fire, the mirror scene with Harpo Marx, eggs getting smashed in Lucy's blouse while doing the tango, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neil said:

If you had to pick one episode of "The Lucy Show" to show someone unfamiliar with anything post-ILL, which would it be?

I picked "Electric Mattress".  Though it's rather low on plot compared to a great I Love Lucy, the TWO great block comedy scenes make up for it.    Two little B&M/B&B touches I'd like to point out.  The over-waxed slippery floor is established before the bed takes off making the whole bit a little more plausible.  #2: Lucy to Jerry: "Why do you leave these stilts in the middle of the room?  Someone's liable to trip over them."  Again paving the way for Lucy's eyeing the stilts, one of her best physical bits of all time. 

That's a great selection. Quite memorable that episode. It features what Lucy does best: physical comedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harrison said:

So many to choose from! I guess ONE of them would have to be "Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale" as it features many trademarks of the Lucy character, her two main Lucy-TV series and Lucy Show co-stars (i.e. Vivian Vance and Gale Gordon), the comedy scene with wheelchair-bound Lucy getting chased in the hospital by the ever-growing line of nurses and the revival-ability factor to I Love Lucy. There's another scene at the end where Lucy (impersonating a doctor) and Viv (impersonating a nurse) trying to wake up a groggy Mr. Mooney to the extent of making barnyard animal noises. As with trademarks, there's Lucy wanting money, Lucy scheming to get it, Lucy getting Viv involved, Lucy's scheme backfires, Lucy antagonizing the insufferable Mr. Mooney and Lucy's loveable cry. Also, it's worth to mention that the original Lucy writers were involved with this specific Lucy Show episode.

That comedy scene with the chased wheelchair-bound Lucy, I think, revivals some of the classic moments from I Love Lucy (whether it be Lucy getting her nose on fire, the mirror scene with Harpo Marx, eggs getting smashed in Lucy's blouse while doing the tango, etc.)

I love "Florence Nightengale" too.  It's not one that makes a lot of people's fav list.   Sets  look much larger on TV  than they are in real life and Lucy's deft and precise handling of the wheel chair in that small set is amazing.   Particularly in my favorite shot of Viv looking on as Lucy races across the floor (followed by the hospital staff) and manages that slight turn into the narrow hallway---though I wish they had kept the camera on a wide shot for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...